All reviewsarctic foxtable tennisone nightfarm animalsminutes' driveping pongnorthern lightsdegree viewfarm hotelwafflesmain buildingcommon roomown bathroomdouble roomnearby attractionsguest housewatch tv
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed here one night. Solid place. Nice rooms (quaint). Very quiet. Great large dining area with table tennis tables. Was heavy rain the day and night i was there so i mostly sat in my room and read a book. Didn't have any problems with the service, the staff friendliness nor the food. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robthewasp
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights, as part of an organised tour. The welcome we got was very friendly, although I must say I was a bit disappointed when shown the room. It was basic and rather small, in the long shed building. It was clean, but the bathroom was tiny and I did find it a little inconvenient that there was no wardrobe or chest of drawers, so I lived out of my suitcase. Plenty of hot water each morning for my shower and luckily, I didn't spend very much time in the room (too busy touring!).

The main building/restaurant was very nice. There were a couple of (slightly battered) ping pong tables, which was a bit of fun and the food was very good. Breakfast was a generous buffet, no complaints at all and dinner was limited in choice, but very pleasant. I'm a vegetarian and they had no problems catering for me... actually, the meals were great. The other people on the tour who had the standard food offered on the menu all said it was very good every night. Desserts were heavenly! The main building also had a small sitting area which was comfortable and you could access wifi for free there. I had no problems with it and I did access it every evening.

The farm is very interesting. There were plenty of animals there, including a raven, several dogs, rabbits, kittens, horses, goats... The dogs, goats and kittens were free to roam around the grounds and were all very friendly. I wasn't greatly amused to see the raven being kept in a rather small cage in the barn, however. But it was definitely interesting to see all the animals. The staff were all friendly too, the owners quite willing to chat and they organised a viewing of a DVD about the volcano eruption of 2010 one evening, which was good.

Location wise, the farm isn't in the best place. It's close to Selfoss, but there isn't much there. All the touring we did, it was at least an hour to get to from the farm and sometimes longer. But it was convenient to stay in just one place, rather than having to unpack and repack several times. The journeys were often quite scenic too.

All in all, I was happy with my stay here.

Room Tip: Avoid the long shed building rooms! I heard that the rooms in the farmhouse are very nice, much bigger and have good views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Hazel M
Vatnsholt, Guest Relations Manager at Vatnsholt, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Hazel M,

First of all, we would like to thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your lovely feedback with us, we truly appreciate it!

We are also so happy to read, that you liked our place and enjoyed the stay in its best.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

After a horrible night in Reykjavik my 3 boys and I stayed here and had an amazing experience. The farm is a real, working farm set on an impossibly gorgeous + picturesque piece of land looking over the water. The room is a little dorm-like, sure; but meticulously neat and clean and comfortable; we slept like dogs. But the owners, Margaret + her husband, are fantastically warm and lovely people who gave us a detailed itinerary of places to see. Two of my boys went for a horse ride right on the farm. The food is first-rate: We had a brilliant dinner of fish and beef carpaccio and they made a special vegetarian dinner for my veggie son, who lapped it up. The included Icelandic breakfast is among the best we had in our 11 days, with a great selection and many home-made breads. The staff is amazing and helpful and friendly; the dogs are a treat. I cannot recommend this wonderful place highly enough and would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: The family room sleeps 4 or 5 and is a great deal!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bruce S

Dear Bruce S,

Reviewed July 30, 2012

i was here in may with my daughter. we stayed in a motel type of building -nothing special but quiet ,adequate size and a decent shower. the place is a working farm and the hosts and their various critters were all very friendly. the breakfast and dinner were very good. the surroundings are pretty.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear love2travel4242,

Reviewed July 30, 2012

By far one of the best guesthouses in Iceland. We had a lovely room with a nice view of the surrounding nature. Dinner was very good with local products from the farm, and the breakfast was clearly above icelandic standard !
Above all, the welcome is really enthusiastic and... you have to see the animals there !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple