“loved it!”

Ranked #8 of 26 Selfoss B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“loved it!”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We found this place by accident driving down route 1 on the south coast. A farm guesthouse. The owners, Johan and Margaret, were friendly and welcoming. Rooms were spotless. The farm has amazing views, horses, a baby calf, baby fox, Fiona (the ugliest dog in iceland), Elvis (a dancing goat), and 2 friendly Labradors. Dinner was 3 course gourmet meals prepared by a chef. I plan to return to iceland sometime soon, and if I'm passing through the south coast again, I will definitely be back. Prices were similar for the area, and considering the experience, definitely worth it. I would recommend Vatnsholt to anyone planning to lodge in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank agoltser435

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Three friends and myself stayed there for 3 days as we explored the sights between selfoss and vik on the ring road. Great breakfast spread and beautiful accommodations. Margret is a wonderful host!

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Andy0422
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Selfoss is a good location to stay several days , as there are many interesting places to visit on day trips. We were given good ideas by our hosts of things to see and do.
The people at Vatnsholt are very friendly and welcoming. There is a strong feeling of family.
The food was excellent and plentiful. My husband has food allergies, and the staff made sure there was plenty for him to eat.
As it was not peak season, we were given a choice of rooms in an apartment with 3 rooms, each sleeping 2, with shared kitchen and bath. The apartment was clean and comfortable. It would be great to share with family and/or friends.
We enjoyed meeting Johann Helgi's wide variety of animals, which are obviously loved and cared for, and are looking forward to meeting those he has added since we left.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bayonne, New Jersey
Reviewed May 28, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised with our accommodations. They were much nicer than what we expected. We had a wonderful breakfast and the staff were very friendly. We enjoyed the petting farm, trampoline and all our meals.

The gas stove didn't work, so it was hard to cook on your own. I booked through booking.com, but I was given a better room than I had booked so again, pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: You won't be dissapointed
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
western massachusetts
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I chose this based on the website and stayed 4 nights, was greeted warmly by the people and animals alike. Margret and Johann seem to unconsciously know exactly what I needed, when to engage me and when I just needed to be alone. They fed me so well, treated me like family, gace me the best room in a houseful of amazing rooms. I used this as a landing spots for many great day trips, had wonderful meals and was invited to be a part of any of the events going on at the house.
WHEN I go back I will definitely stay here again.
As a woman traveling alone it was a perfect, gorgeous place to stay. I always felt well cared for and enjoyed every minute! Completely and fully recommend this spot!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed here for one night while we were doing our self drive trip from Reykjavik to Hofn. After initially booking as a guesthouse we were a little scared about what to expect. We were shocked at how good our stay was. We arrived here fairly late after a day of driving roung the golden circle. It was not the easiest place to find but after some help from some locals we managed to find the farm.

We were quickly shown our cottage which was meant to accomodate 6 people however as the season was not at all touristy we had the whole cottage to ourselves which was quite nice. The cottage had everything you could want, a nice very clean bathroom, a kitchen with all utensils, a nice living room with a tv and dvd player. There was also a hot tub and BBQ area outside however it was a bit too late and cold at the time we arrived.

There was no actual restaurant (it was currently being built) but lucky for us we bought some of our own food. The nearest town (Selfoss) which was about a 20min drive away. If you do go I would recommend taking your own food as you could cook almost anything in their kitchen.

In the morning we were woken to an incredible breakfast with american style waffles, freshly baked bread, maple pecans croissants, cheese, ham, boiled eggs, and best off the very friendly owners.

Once we had breakfast we were shown around the farm by its owners, along with the new extra accomodation they were building. In addition to this they were bullding an restaurant with a bar, and a sports/games room. We were also shown all the animals which was quite nice. Give it a couple of months and this farmhouse should be pretty lively!

The farmhouse is a good location for someof the nearby sites such as the Geysir/Gulfoss/Mt Hekla/selandjafoss waterfall along to many other attractions. I would in particular recommend the cottages to a group of about 6 people as you would have your own private villa which would be great fun!

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank chigz999
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed there recently and wow... We had a fantastic experience. Magga and Joi the owners were the best hosts we have ever found anywhere. They and all the staff could not have done more for us. We felt very welcome, the service was very personal and friendly. The place is great, it's in the middle of the Icelandic nature, surrounded by mountans and pastures and there is a great view over the lake.. I though Iceland would not be so pretty this time of year but wow was I wrong, it was beautiful. It's a really high standard bed and breakfast everything is modern and super clean. No noise anywhere just the sound of nature, really the best sleep I have ever had. It's also so conveniently located, just over an hour by car to reach the capital Reykjavik, it's also close to a small town called Selfoss where there is a swimming pool. I highly recommend the place for anybody wanting to experience true nature and a nice and friendly place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selfoss
Hotel Borealis
Hotel Ranga
Hotel Ranga
#1 of 5 in Hella
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,564 reviews

Been to Vatnsholt? Share your experiences!