“Cosy, friendly, a good place to stay”
Review of Gesthus Selfoss

Gesthus Selfoss
Someren, The Netherlands
“Cosy, friendly, a good place to stay”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in the gesthus.
The cabin was really cosy, warm and clean.
After spending several nights in hotels, it is a nice and welcome change.

At night, we relaxed in the hot tub which the owner offered to prepare for us upon arrival.

The owners are very friendly and interested in your travel plans and experiences. They also give you some travel advices.

Breakfast was good and as an extra we enjoyed the waffles.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Visiting in Feb 2013 with my 16yr son I was worried the wooden bungalows would be a bit chilly. I was pleasantly wrong. I even had to turn the radiator off a few times! Lovely hot water at all times. Very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable owners. Extremely clean, and in excellent location. Less than 1hr from capital and at a speed you can get to Vik in 1hr 15mins! We had offer of hot tubs even in winter. Kaffi Krus is lovey place to eat. My son had the Selfoss burger which was HUGE, or definately check out Lobster restaurant in Stokkseyri about 10/15mins on R34. Small but new 2 ring stove and sink area but not much room for prep but didnt matter. Washing up utensils and liquid were provided, as well as towels in bathroom and loo roll, which was topped up during a 4 night stay! Would definately recommend and stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wales
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Gesthus Selfoss, having travelled from Reykjavik to Vik and then back, en route to Snaefellsnes Peninsula. Admittedly, before arriving there we were tempted to cancel having thought that there was little to do in the Selfoss region, and that we might be better off going back to R-vik for another night. I am so glad that we didn't. Upon arriving at Gesthus, we immediately thought we were in the wrong place as the road leading to it appeared to pass by some industrial-type looking buildings, along with a large college, but - as soon as we drove in to the main entrance - we were greeted with rows of charming looking cabins nestled between a cute area of woodland with a small lake near by.

The proprietor greeted us immediately and was very helpful, particularly when it came to recommending local places to eat, shop etc. We paid at check-in (at our request) however could also have paid when leaving if required. As we had driven, we were told that we could park as close to the cabin as possible, and this was particularly useful and a lovely change from staying in hotels where we had been used to carrying luggage up and down flights of stairs.

We were allocated cabin 9, which is a small, compact, wooden cladded affair with a double bed and a singular bunk bed. The cabin had a small dining table with chairs, a bedside table, mounted television, kitchenette with cooker rings, kettle, crockery and cutlery, fridge and storage space, and an en-suite bathroom with toilet, basin and shower. The shower was excellent with plenty of hot water and pressure, although - as others have pointed out - the water invariably has the sulphuric smell which while being offputting when you first arrive in Iceland, soon seems to turn into something quite charming!

Inside the cabin it was immaculately clean with a good range of bedding, basic toiletries, toilet paper, towels, etc.

The cabins are in a small patch of woodland which has barely any light pollution, which is an ideal place for Aurora-spotting. Unfortunately the weather wasn't too great when we stayed but it was still nice to sit outside on the decking area hoping for a break in the clouds.

The two large hot tubs were very enticing and set in a lovely decking area which was quite secluded from the rest of the cabin area. It was nice that the owner asked when we wanted to use them as he was trying to ensure that all guests had an equal time for privacy, as opposed to it being a bit of a 'free for all.' We went for dinner at 6pm and had the hot tub to ourselves from 7pm until 10, which was a lovely experience.

Overall, I would thoroughly recommend staying here. We were so tempted to cancel as Selfoss, upon first glance, can seem a bit of an out-of-the-way town offering little other than a few shops, but it really is a charming place which is a great alternative to the capital (and its rather intimidating prices!)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Gesthus provides log cabin style accommodation, which is clean and comfortable. Cabins have a cooker and fridge so you can cook your own meals if you want. We just stayed for one night so just did the 15 minute walk into the centre of Selfoss to get something to eat.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and breakfast was tasty, with homemade waffles being the highlight!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
McAllen, Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed in Gesthus for a night and it was definitely a great choice! Gesthus offers both camping site and cabins at reasonable prices. We stayed at a cabin, which was very nice and spacious for my wife and myself and it had a convenient kitchenette! The cabin was clean and private and its bathroom had everything we needed. The staff was very friendly and helpful and suggested places to visit and restaurants to have dinner. I recommend this place if you have to overnight in the Selfoss/Gullfoss area, or to stay for a few days if you are planning to explore this Southwest part of the country.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Padua, Veneto, Italy
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed at Gesthus for a week when I was in Selfoss for a conference. This meant I also saw the other accommodations available. Gesthus has a great rustic feel with all the modern conveniences. The wireless worked in all of the cabins, which is something that I haven't seen in many of the hotels I have stayed in. All of the cabins had private bathrooms with a shower and all the hot water you could want. The breakfast was wonderful and they even accommodated our conference schedule. The owner was great, gave us suggestions of where to go and what to see and even arranged for me to rent a car from a local rental agency. You can't ask for better accommodations and the price was right. You are definitely getting the bang for your buck at Gesthus.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Pinconning, Michigan
Reviewed June 24, 2012

When I first drove up to Gesthus Selfoss, I thought I might be in the wrong place. There was an area for camping, and also what looked like cabins. I was at the right place, though. I checked in, and the front desk staff was very friendly. They provided maps for my itinerary the next day.

You then drive back to the "cabins". Looks can be deceiving, because they were much nicer than I expected. It was the first and only time I had a bathroom/shower to myself, and for the same price as many of the other guesthouses. There was also a tv, though it didn't seem to work well. The wireless internet worked very well, though. The beds were comfortable, and the stay was overall enjoyable.

I stayed on a weekend, and I have a feeling it can get pretty loud, though. There are a lot of people walking around, even later at night, considering you could still see! But it did quiet down in the end!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo