“Spacious and comfortable”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bishops Caundle, United Kingdom
“Spacious and comfortable”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

New and very comfortable hotel linked with riding of Icelandic horses. Spacious rooms with wet room style shower, and outside access from every room. Plenty of horses around to watch, and ride. Most comfortable 3 star hotel I found in Iceland. Rooms all named after horses rather than numbered.

Room Tip: Two hot tubs located together in one corner, so ask for a nearby room to avoid a long walk.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CCWestFinchampstead

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Karlstad
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Last year I went to Iceland and Eldhestar to go horsebackriding and realized that I have to learn more.
Some days ago I took part of the Wintertour/course and had some quite fantastic days with lessons before lunch and tour-riding in the afternoon. The room and food were absolut great.

We were lucky with the weather, sun and light vind and I felt convenient with "my horse". She went willingly through the water,along the paths and I was safe and happy all the time.
The lessons were interesting and I learned a lot. - Where else can you get better lessons than at Eldhestar with its prominent teacher ? (my opinion)

Room Tip: swimmingpool= hot pot. You can go to a swimmingpool not far from the hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ggs03
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. The hotel has such character which each room being a horses name. The room and bathroom were spacious and clean. The hotel has many sitting areas including in the lobby. The food was delicious too! 5 stars!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank fleetfeet954
Eidsvoll
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I did tour nr 8, "the best of Eldhestar" in June 2012, and it was one of the best holidays I have ever had. We returned to the hotel every night after riding, the hotel was clean, comfortable and quiet, with nice and helpful staff. What a blessing to come back from a beautiful ride, shower, go to the hot tub, eat a wonderful dinner and go to sleep knowing that the next day would be exactly the same! The horses were wonderful, very interesting to try at least two different horses every day and then get to pick a favorite for the last day. Every horse was different, but they were all very well tempered. I have read a review by somebody who was unhappy about not being told how to tölt, but we have to remember that a horse is an animal, not a machine, and they are all different! You can't just push a button and make it do what you want to. Although I have ridden Icelandic horses for some time, I am not a particularly skilled rider, and with some of the horses I struggled to get the tölt. But that was just fun really, and a nice challenge. Our leader, Kolbrun, was fantastic!
I'm going back in June this year to do tour nr 10.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
UK
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here one night as part of our 8 day tour of Iceland.
Strange on approach but once inside what a lovely hotel this is. The rooms are very spacious, with wonderful walk in shower and the beds were extremely comfortable.
We had a buffet evening meal for 5200 IKr which was of a very high standard and truly delicious. Breakfast was good also but would have preferred more fresh fruit.
I would recommend this hotel it was the best place we stayed on our trip.
We advised the hotel that we would like to be woken if the Northern Lights appeared and at 1am we were woken to see the Northern Lights. Whilst this sighting was not as spectacular as the one seen later in the week, I think it would have been better if some of the street type lights had been turned off at the property.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed here just for one night as part of our 8 day tour of Iceland.
Wasn't too sure when we drove up but, once inside, I could soon see what a lovely hotel this is. The rooms are very spacious and the beds extremely comfortable. This is a 'green' hotel and the attention to detail in this area really showed. We had a door which opened onto the grass with a small seating area (too cold to use) which would have been really great for the summer. We could see the horses grazing in the fields.
We had a buffet evening meal which was of a very high standard and truly delicious. Breakfast was good also.
I would highly recommend this hotel and would love to have stayed longer as it was far the best place we stayed on our trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Frida S, Manager at Eldhestar, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Derrynane,

Thank you for your kind review. Great to read you enjoyed your stay and what a great compliment that you thought we were the best place you stayed at. Thank you so much.
Best regards,
Frida
Montclair, NJ
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I spent three nights at this lovely hotel in the Icelandic countryside. We didn't have the best weather, but the warmth with which we were received more than made up for it. Great advice on sights to see on the South coast of Iceland, comfortable (and warm, radiant heat floors) rooms and nice bathroom. Our day of riding, despite less than perfect weather, was an amazing experience and one of the owners, Nonni, was a great ambassador for the Icelandic horse breed! Our guide, Corrina, was experienced, funny and very understanding. Her English was perfect and we enjoyed riding with her.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VanderZyppe
Frida S, Manager at Eldhestar, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear VanderZyppe,

Thank you so much for your kind review. Great to receive, we will make sure both Nonni and Corrina reads it, I believe they will enjoy it.

Best regards,
Frida
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hveragerdi
Frost and Fire Hotel
#1 of 8 in Selfoss
Guesthouse Frumskogar
Guesthouse Frumskogar
#1 of 8 in Hveragerdi

Been to Eldhestar? Share your experiences!