“Great Opportunity” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Southampton, New York
“Great Opportunity”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I felt so lucky to have the opportunity to ride here. I am inexperienced and just did the one hour or so ride. The staff was kind and patient.

I was not on a tour or in a group. I stopped at the hotel one evening and made a reservation to ride the next morning. Very helpful staff.

I was lent a helmet and overalls which kept me warm.

I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Frida S, Manager at Eldhestar, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review.
It is really nice to receive.

Eldhestar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

I went on a tour last summer. The horses were well cared for. The food was simple but plentiful. The sleeping rooms were clean. The guides were very poor. I have been riding (English saddle) for many years. I am in excellent physical condition. By correspondence, I was informed that staff would instruct me as to how to ride the Icelandic style. This promise was not kept. I was having great difficulty tolting . . .this was obvious to everyone on the trip. The guides were dismissive, impatient, and at times, even unkind. It was another very experienced rider who gave me a VERY simple tip as to how to tolt. From that point on, I had a very enjoyable ride (no thanks to the so-called guides.) I would like to take another Icelandic horse tour, but I would not go with this organization.

Room Tip: The rooms were clean. The guides were poor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank annie s
Dear Annie,

Thank you for your review.

I am very sorry to read you had a bad experience with our guides.
Thank you so much for taking your time to write down your experience.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

First time to visit for my 40th and friends' 50th's birthday treats. The horses were magic horses, as if they knew exactly where to put their feet and going for miles at tolt, walk trot and a couple of canters. Loved changing times over 4 days riding to experience lots of difference horses. Soooo well behaved and they did not even make faces at each other or try to kick or bite when all close together when riding. The hotel was fab, with amazing chef, dip in the hot pot after riding and we saw a demo of riding the horses when the new indoor was opened. Landscape amazing and one of my favourites was riding into a valley of 'death' with nothing growing. Also loved the fact that you got off to climb up mountain sides to give the horses a break and stretch your legs. Amazing weather for the night we had a BBQ when we stayed at the farmhouse. The staff and guides couldn't have been nicer and it was a very continental mixture of people with Belfast, Swedish, French, German and Czech in one ride! The trip to the Blue Lagoon was amazing of course and I had been there 16 years ago when I was in Iceland for the day from Belfast. Just wish I had more time for everything, including longer stay in Reykavik to have sampled the nightlife as we had to leave for an early flight. Gillian - Belfast, Northern Ireland

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gillian W
Dear Gillian,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write your wonderful review.
It is very much appreciated.

Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three days together with friends, and the staff and basically everybody we met were very friendly. The room was just perfect for us. Not luxurious or anything, but clean, nice and with everything we needed. It was quiet there at night, and the beds were very nice, so we slept very well at this hotel. We tried the dinner one day, and the food was excellent. They obviously do not serve the same food every day, but we had cat fish and lamb with everything that we could wish for together with it. The food was really delicious. The hotel was really ecofriendly, and there was a piano at the dining area, which was nice.

We got a wheelchair accessible room, and this hotel was very easily accessible by wheelchair. There was a small step to get to the hot tub, but otherwise there were no steps. They had a lot of nice horses, and of course we went horse back riding, which is another story :) I would recommend this hotel to everybody.

We figured out that renting a car and staying on this hotel was excellent for horse back riding experiences, and exploring the golden circle, Vik/Dyrholaey etc. It's closer to Reykjavik than we thought.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Frida S, Manager at Eldhestar, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you so much for taking your time write your kind review.
We really appreciate it.

Swanville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I've ridden for 12 years with the Eldhestar company. All the tours are excellent. This summer, I did the Best of Eldhestar tour. We stayed at the hotel every night. The rooms are clean, quiet, and the food excellent. All the horses I rode were good tolters, and well-trained. The guides were helpful and good with the horses. Beautiful landscape, the best way to see Iceland!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Frida S, Manager at Eldhestar, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review.
It is very nice of you to write a review even after 12 years.

From your profile I can not see who you are mystery guest but maybe we see you again next year?

Oslo, Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I went on a half day riding trip called "The Meadow and mountain". I got picked up at my hotel in the morning and arrived at the Eldhestar farm without any fuss. I was the only one going on the trip I had ordered, so it was only me and a very nice Swedish instructor named Jasmine. I got a quick introduction to how to mount and unmount a horse together with the rest of the beginners, and then I was handed a horse and we were on our way.

Jasmin learned me how to ride the "tölt", the trotting that is typical for a Islands horse, and even though I spent a few minutes mastering it, we were tölting away pretty soon. The landscape is beautiful, the horse was so calm, nice and easy to handle and Jasmin was both a good teacher and a great conversationalist.

I strongly recommend all beginner riders to start with a half day-trip. I was pretty tired after our 3 hour riding tour. You use muscle groups in your arms and on the insides of your legs you don´t use otherwise.

To summarize: I had a wonderful time, and I would definitely come back, maybe for a longer ride.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank IdaJackson
Dear Ida,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write your kind review.
We really much appreciate it.

Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I did the tour "Below the Mountains." I arrived with a huge group of people, but we were immediately separated into the different tour groups and ended up being only me, another girl and the guide.
I'll admit, I was skeptical for the first 45 minutes or so of riding. There are A LOT of gates that we had to go through. The weather was nice and the meadows we went through were filled with birds, so it wasn't altogether boring, but I was worried that the entire ride would be fenced in.
Luckily my fears were unfounded. Once We got through the last of the gates, it turned out to be really fun. We forded the river a few times and rode on the sand, then made our way up to a mountain and rode up te side of it. The whole experience was great and was maybe five hours of solid riding, plus a stop for us to eat lunch (a sandwich that was surprisingly good) and a few stops to take pictures and let the horses eat.
As interesting as the riding was, one of my favorite things was when we passed pastures of horses and got to see the foals. They are so adorable it's unreal.
I would absolutely recommend this tour to someone who has a bit more riding experience. The terrain was a bit difficult and we spent a lot of time doing the tölt, a quick but comfortable version of the trot. The only bad thing was all the gates at the beginning! I mean, there were probably ten that we had to stop and open. If they could put in a route that involved less stopping and starting, the ride would've been much more enjoyable.
Even with that, I found the rest of the experience fun enough that I'll still readily give it five stars. Don't hesitate to sign up for Below The Mountains!

Stayed June 2012
Frida S, Manager at Eldhestar, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you so much for taking your time to write your kind review.

Eldhestar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hveragerdi
Frost and Fire Hotel
#1 of 1 in Olfuss
Hotel Selfoss
Hotel Selfoss
#2 of 8 in Selfoss

Been to Eldhestar? Share your experiences!