“Good food and friendly service”
Review of Restaurant Varma

Restaurant Varma
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Hveragerdi
Cuisines: Diner, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We enjoyed our first meal and in Iceland here were pleasantly surprised by the price of food and drink compared with guidebook warnings.

Portions were large - unless you are very hungry, try sharing the 'three types of herring' starter. Quality was good and there was a relaxed and informal feel.

Manager810, Owner at Restaurant Varma, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with future travelers. We are glad to see that you liked our restaurant.

Best regards from Hveragerði
Elfa D. Þórðardóttir

Reviewed August 20, 2013

- Hello! Are you open tonight? Have you got a table?
- Yes, we are open! We have tables.
- We need a table for two. Should we just book one then?
- Not at all, just come over.
- Great, we'll be there shortly.

(arriving at he restaurant, 15 mins after phone call)

- Hello, we just called for a table for 2.
- Do you have a reservation?
- No, we were told just to come over.
- Sorry about that, now we have no tables.

This is actually the second time I've been there. On the first visit, despite the food being really good, we had some mishaps. I ordered white wine and was served red. I told the waitress I would take the red no problem, since she had already poured it.

Food took ages, so long they offered us to choose 2 desserts from the menu as complimentary. I thanked her, but since I didn't feel like having one, could she just knock the wine glass from the bill? She said no. I pointed out it cost half the price of one dessert. She couldn't care less.

We actually live in Hveragerdi. We have 3 other restaurants here in town. I was very happy with the addition of Varma, but after these two visits I can honestly say I'll never set foot there again. It doesn't matter that the food is great. Service is just as important.

Hotel Ork, at the entrance of the town, has a lovely restaurant. We walked there after being not finding a table at Varma and had a truly amazing meal. Funny enough, they have a similar menu... the difference is the service was impeccable.

Manager810, Owner at Restaurant Varma, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Guest of Restaurant Varmá.

We are terribly sorry that you did not get a table at our restaurant. It opened on the 1st of June 2013 and it is getting more busy every week. I guess faster than expected sometimes.
It is nice to read that you liked you previous dinner and intended to come back for a dinner.

We wish you all the best and thank you for your visit.

Elfa Þórðardóttir

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Varma was the most upscale restaurant in town. This said, the prices weren't out of line, great views to the river and very good food. I had the traditional Icelandic assortment as an appetizer and plokkfiskur for the main. It was the first time I felt full in Iceland.

1  Thank kojee

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review about our newly opened restaurant. It means a lot to us and encourage us to continue on this path.

We hope you will be able to visit us again one day and thank you for your visit.

Elfa

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Lovely restaurant. It seems the hotel where it is located is lovely too. The restaurant sits by the river with beautiful views. Food and service are good.
I wish it had more windows facing the river.

1  Thank viajeramx1

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review about our new restaurant. It is good to see that you liked it. This winter we will add some more windows so everybody can enjoy the view over the river and the geothermal area.

We hope you will visit us again and thank you for your visit.

Elfa Thordar

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had a delicious dinner here. My husband had horse and I had lamb. Both meats were served with a beautiful medley of fresh vegetables--carrots, potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms. The presentation was lovely, service was excellent. I had a glass of house red wine, which was good. My husband had a bottle of locally brewed pale ale, which was excellent. The flourless chocolate cake for dessert was wonderful.

The restaurant is new, open only since May, but there were no signs of start-up problems. Everything was perfect! My husband is ready to book another trip to Iceland, just to stay at Frost and Fire and eat at this restaurant!

1  Thank Kathy49NJ

Dear Guests

Thank so much for your lovely review about our restaurant. It is important for us.
We are looking forward to welcome you back anytime.

We wish you all the best and thank you for your visit.

Elfa D.