“Brilliant”

Eldhestar Private Day Tours
Ranked #5 of 14 things to do in Hveragerdi
Reviewed December 30, 2014

My husband and I were visiting from Scotland just before christmas and we had booked the Beneath the Mountains day trip. It was absolutely awesome, the Iceland Ponies are just wonderful, the tolt is totally different to what I am used to in the UK but the ponies are so easy to ride. We thoroughly enjoyed the day, our guide was great, really friendly and informative. There was loads of snow, so picturesque. We had lunch there also, and they had a really lovely meat soup. Underfloor heating kept our feet lovely and warm. Anyone considering horse riding in Iceland should come here.

All reviews
"rain gear"
in 7 reviews
"lunch break"
in 2 reviews
"the staff were friendly and helpful"
"hot tubs are"
"lovely trip"
"mixed experience"

Reviewed October 23, 2014

We did a full-day experience with Eldhestar called the "Riding and Relaxation" package. It was a morning of horseback riding, a light lunch, bathing at a local geothermal pool in the afternoon, and then finishing up with coffee and cake.

We were picked up promptly in the morning from our hotel in Reykjavik in a minibus with others and taken to the Eldhestar stables. It was about a 35 to 40 minute ride, with beautiful scenery to look at out the window along the way. Once at the stable, we were divided into groups. Our group only had myself, my husband, and two other ladies, so it was great to have such a personal experience. They had boots, overalls, and gloves you could borrow (we dressed warmly so did not), and lockers to store your belongings. The only thing I took with me on the horse was my cell phone in my pocket so that I could take pictures.

No one in our group had experience riding horses before. I rode a horse named "Krabi" (sp?), while my husband rode Tremur (sp?). The horses weren't terribly responsive. Mine basically just followed whatever the one in front of him did. The guide kept instructing us to kick the horses to get them to go faster into the "tolt", but our horses wouldn't respond. All four of us were having similar trouble. So we were only occasionally able to tolt when the horses would cooperate, but mostly we stayed at a pretty steady walking pace the entire time. Frankly, this slow pace was fine by me because I'm a novice and wasn't looking for anything super fast. An experienced rider would probably have been bored though. However, for me and my husband, it was a good pace and lovely ride.

The first half of the ride (about 1.5 hours) has you wandering through the fields near the stables, with lovely mountain views in the background. Then you cross a small stream onto the other side of a highway and ride beneath the mountain, which was very beautiful (also more interesting, riding-wise, because you're going up and down some hills). Once we crossed the stream, the guide also stopped and took pictures for us on our horses, which was a very nice touch. I do wish at this point we were able to dismount our horse and have a little break, since my butt and legs were starting to go a little numb after 1.5 hrs of riding (but again, I'm a complete novice!). But anyway, after pictures we kept riding under the mountain, which was about another 1 or 1.5 hours. The total time on the horse was close to 3 hours, which I thought was more than enough (my legs were jello by the end! :)

After we got back to the stable, my husband and I were directed to the hotel near the stables for a light lunch. For lunch, they had soup -- at first the waitress said meat soup, which I was bummed about because I don't eat a lot of meat. But alas, it was actually LEEK soup, which was delicious. We were both so hungry from riding that we each had seconds of the soup. There was also a station set out with some bread and a few cold cuts included in the light lunch as well.

Lunch was about an hour, and then we were driven to the local geothermal swimming pool for the "relaxation" part of our tour package. The driver asked us when we would like to be picked up for coffee and cake -- we opted for two hours at the swimming pool, which left one hour for coffee and cake back at the stable. Our time at the pool was wonderfully relaxing after our morning of riding. It was great to partake in a local Icelandic custom and definitely enjoyable.

We were picked up promptly when we had requested, and taken back to the stable for "coffee and cake." This was the only part of the package that I was disappointed with. First, the "coffee and cake" is served in the cafeteria that is attached to the stable (not the hotel that we had lunch at). So you have to walk through a foul-smelling area to get to the cafeteria, which is not very appetizing. Then there were flies all over the cafeteria because of its proximity to the stable, which again, is not very appetizing. Also, their selection of cakes consisted of two small brownie-like bars and that was it. I was expecting a bit more variety and quantity. Also, with all of the flies buzzing around, I hope that the food was kept covered. They really should move the coffee and cake portion of this to the hotel where we had lunch. Anyway, so this was the last hour of our tour before the bus left to go back to Reykjavik. Honestly, I wish that we would have just stayed at the pool for another hour, or had been taken back to town an hour earlier, because having cake and coffee in the cafeteria with the flies for an hour wasn't all that great.

But otherwise, it was a fantastic day and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Everything was very well-organized, the staff were super warm and friendly, and we loved riding the horses and bathing at the pool. Definitely recommend for beginner horse riders!

Reviewed October 15, 2014

My husband and I visited Iceland for our honeymoon, and riding Icelandic horses was on our "must do" list. It was very easy to book with Eldhestar, and we went on the Meadows & Mountains trip. Only one other couple with us, plus the guide, so it felt private. Definitely worth going on the longer trip (2-3 hours) because the first hour was really on their property. This gave us plenty of time to get comfortable on the horses and ride into the picturesque mountains and meadows that surrounded us. Beautiful scenery, exciting ride. They also let us borrow waterproof pants and jackets, as well as hats and gloves to keep warm. Definitely recommend this activity!

Reviewed October 13, 2014

we were picked up from the hotel [all foc] and driven the half hour to the riding establishment . spotless and well run stables with beautiful horses and friendly staff . beginners and experienced riders rode together and all horses were calm but not your average plod . wonderful views . only thing i think could improve on the 2 hour tour would be some commentary on the area and of the horses . free coffee and cake was most appreciated . loved the whole experience . thanks to all involved for a wonderful day and gorgeous horses x

See more reviews
Reviewed September 28, 2014

I went on a half day tour called "pot of luck" together with my boyfriend. All we did during the 2 hour tour was to walk slowly right next to a highway. There were pretty hills next to the horse range but instead of riding through a beautiful landscape all we saw were the cars passing by and completely normal and boring fields. You couldn't hold a conversation because we were riding in a line, so we both just sat on our horses for those 2 hours and waited for it to finally be over. The horses didn't walk faster than normal step most of the time, which made it even more boring. It wasn't fun at all and a complete disappointment. I've been to other horse tours where even lots of beginners took part and they were much more adventurous.

We even felt tricked: We paid about 60€ for the "surprise" tour but the great surprise was that we did the 12€ cheaper countryside tour (which rather was a highway tour anyway).

The guides were nice though and I don't know about their other tours but: Don't ever book the Pot of Luck tour!

1  Thank malinmalheur