“Best day of Iceland”

Eldhestar Private Day Tours
Ranked #5 of 14 things to do in Hveragerdi
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Went on the "Valley of hot springs" day tour with my two tennage daughters. We are all very inexperienced hosre riders, but the horses were very calm and friendly. The tour was in a very beautiful landscape, but sometimes on narrow tracks on the hills side. You had better trust the horses in these cases. But they seamed to know their way...

Lunch at the hot spring with a refreshing hot bath in the small mountain creek. Unbelievable!

Very friendly and helpfull staff as well!

3  Thank Anders L
"two hours"
in 5 reviews
"lunch break"
in 2 reviews
"the staff were friendly and helpful"
"hot tubs are"
"lovely trip"
"mixed experience"

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our family did the elf tour and loved it. Although it was freezing cold, windy and raining, we all loved those divine creatures and enjoyed our ride.

After donning the wet weather gear they provided we were assigned horses by one of the owners of eldhestar (who selected horses based on our experience and confidence) and met our guide Johanna.

There were just six of us in our group and we got going quickly. We walked and then tölted stopping to hear about elves, their origin, habitat and character and enjoying the environment as much as the rotten weather permitted. When my 6 year old had had enough Johanna called another guide (grimma?) who came and rescued us while the rest of the family trotted off. They loved their ride including wading through a creek and the smooth tölt gait.

Meanwhile grimma entertained us with more elf and troll stories as well as sharing her love for Icelandic horses. Both the guides were really warm and caring and I really appreciated them finding gloves for us all to borrow. By the time we returned to the complex (which is serious!) my daughter's lips were blue and grimma lent her her own cardigan and we got her a hot chocolate.

We finished up with a yummy soup next door which was plentiful as well as tasty.

Every time we have seen a beautiful Icelandic horse out of the car window we have all wanted to stop and hug them! They are strong, beautiful, kind and wanted to please us. It was a real joy to ride them and eldhestar did a great job.

2  Thank nusstafa
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I went on the full day below the mountains tour.

We had a fantastic day! Our guide Ditte was very sweet and had a good feeling of the riding skills in our group.

The horses where well looked after, they were very well trained but also fresh and eager.

The scenery was beautiful and if I return to Iceland this is a must do.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We chose the long tour. Five hours including the volcanic hot springs. Was the highlight of my trip. My very good friend took me for my birthday. Have not been riding for many years so I was hesitant to do this for 5 hours
Once we got into the icelandic hills it was worth it.
These are the most gentle well taken care of horses I have seen. Everyone at the stable and the girls guiding us into the hills were amazing! I would do this again on my next trip.
Don't miss it. These are the " real" volcanic hot springs right in nature. You can only go there by horseback or on foot. Don't forget your towel. This is not a facility like a pool. Highly recommend it.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Being first time horse riders we chose the "below the mountains" day tour to get the full experience. We were kitted out with suitable equipment to keep us warm and then shown how to control the horses. We then rode them round the paddock to get to trips with them. We then went with our two guides gabriella and deeta (? I think - sorry can't remember her name.) WE quickly got to grips with the horses and were tolting like pros (almost :-) ). We rode to a large river with a name i can't spell let alone pronounce! And saw some very good sights around us and in the distance such as the volcano that recently erupted that i also cannot spell! We then returned for dinner and swapped over to new horses just with the guide deeta (?) This time. We then rode up into the mountains and across a river or two tolting where we could. The guide explained all the sights and explained the stories of the blood mointain, elves etc and was very friendly. After 6 hours of riding horses we are aching all overbut definitely worth it. The horses were eexcellent and so were the guides. An experience we will not forget! Thanks!

4  Thank antwilson