Gistihusid - Lake Hotel Egilsstadir
Icelandair Hotel Herad(Egilsstadir)(Great Value!)
$133
$139
$136
Hotel Hallormsstadur(Hallormsstadur)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewstop floorlovely restaurantrestaurant reviewcozy hotelnorthern lightsnew buildingbreakfast buffet in the morninga lovely place to staydairy cowsclose to townmodern roomssitting areareception areadidn't disappointwafflesmy favorite placegood size
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Excellent dinner, very reasonable rates in October, decent Internet speeds and comfy beds. Each room has its own shape and character. Staying there a couple of nights I determined that the rooms on the 3rd floor are better generally. Not a lot to do around egilsstadir, but if you are going there stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank FilmNeil
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here just one night as a guide during a round trip around Iceland. We arrived late but that was no problem. The food at the restaurant was good and the service was good. The beds were good and the rooms ok. WiFi worked well. The best thing was the laid back athmosphere and an excellent location, out at the lake outside of the town but just a 5 min walk to the town center. Breakfast was excellent. Only downside i could think of would be the stairs, that is if i wasn´t young and healthy.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We did not stay at the guesthouse, but visited the restaurant based on a recommendation we saw online. We got to the restaurant in a bit of a hurry, after a long day of driving and sightseeing, so felt a bit underdressed - the place seems very posh and upmarket (although I felt more relaxed on seeing the guy at the next table had no shoes on.. must have been a guest at the hotel).
We ordered steak which turned out be nothing short of excellent. House wine was all right - nothing to write home about, but quite decent at the price. Our friends had mushroom soup and I think fish of the day, which they said was great too.
This was the most expensive place we'd been to in Iceland (or anywhere else, for that matter), but we don't regret a single penny. It was an amazing meal, I only wish Iceland was that far so we could go to Egilsstadir again.

Room Tip: Order steak at the restaurant.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We did not stay at the Guesthouse as I was booked in at the Icelandair Hotel up the road. We did head over for lunch though as it came highly recommended by the knowledgeable girl at the visitors centre in Egilsstadir.
She said it was a relaxing and inviting place for lunch or dinner. She was on the money. It has the feel of a small country inn.
There is not a lot of chicken on the menus of Iceland so when a chicken salad was offered for lunch I ordered it. Far exceeded my expectations. Tender chunks of seasoned breast on a bed of barley and greens. Done to perfection in fine dinning style.
We then moved into the lounge area by the bar and had a wonderful coffee with a huge slice of chocolate cake.
There is an outdoor patio for dinning with a view of the river. I wish I had returned for dinner but ate at my hotel instead. What a mistake, but that is another review of the Icelandair Hotel Herad.
Total cost including tax/tip for lunch for two was 7,200 Kr about $60 cdn.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Grant_on_holiday
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed here for one night. It was a welcome break from the B&B's we had been staying in. Was much more like a small country Inn. We had a room on the top floor which overlooked the lake. It was lovely. The room was quaint, the bathroom small but perfect. It had a nice romantic feel to it.

We had the most delicious dinner. The lamb was outstanding. The whole plate was delicious as was dessert! I can't remember what we ate but I remember it being a fabulous evening in a lovely old dining room. The menu comes in an old book - pasted inside the front pages. Every table also has a book on it with proper etiquette for eating. Fun to read! Reminds you of your manners!

Just outside the hotel is their cow barn which is really stinky! Fortunately you don't smell it anywhere else and it was quite pleasant visiting the sad eyed cows. Behind the hotel is a lovely lake and patio to sit on. I would definitely recommend this place to everyone!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple