“Charming in every way”

Berunes HI Hostel
Ottawa, Canada
“Charming in every way”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

After a long day of driving we finally arrived in Berunes. The hostel is easy to find once in Berunes. The man who worked the front desk was very friendly, answered all our questions and accomodated changes that needed to be made to our reservation. The place is super quaint. Our rooms looked like something from a 1950's Icelandic movie. The lounge area was cozy full of books, pictures of important Icelandic people, and cozy chairs. There was a computer available with internet for people like us who had no computer during our journey. For me it was one of the most memorable building I got to sleep in on our Icelandic visit. Waking up in the morning with the brisk air, hearing the sheep next door do their thing and looking at the fjord surrounding Berunes was pretty special.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We slept one night in a double room in this traditional and very charming farmhouse. Room and bed were clean, shower was ok but good considerin it is a hostel, atmosphere was excellent (old farmhouse, kitchen and living room from early 20th century, great bar and breakfast, remote location to spot great northern lights) and the hosts were very friendly and welcoming. Great value.

Room Tip: Book a double room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 1, 2013

After a long drive and tourist journey overload - such a nice, quiet, beautiful place to land. Great bedroom, kitchen and wonderful views to just add more to the pleasure. A peaceful haven for those who enjoy quiet time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Prata di Pordenone, Italy
Reviewed August 21, 2013

When I booked the room there was written that the reception closes at 8pm but we apprised the owner of our late arrival and there wasn't any problem.
The hostel is in front of a fiord and the landscape is very beautiful, near to the main road (number 1). The facilities are good and clear, the thing that I will remember is the amazing breakfast: ham, cheese, different type of bread, cookies, marmalade, butter... but also herring and omelet just cooked!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AleMuzzy
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

The place is simply fantastic. It's just a little bit sad that there's any big attraction nearby or even a supermarket or point of activity... but maybe that's better so, so then you really can relax. The hostel is very familiar, good equiped and the managers are very kind

• Stayed August 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed July 27, 2013

One of the most unique places we stayed at in Iceland. The views are jaw dropping and the amenities superb. We had hot chocolate at the little restaurant next to our room when we got in and enjoyed the view. The room was clean and private, with dark shades, a must for Icelandic summers! The pancake breakfast in the morning was our best breakfast for the whole trip. I can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Seabright12
Arlington, TX
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I felt very welcome at this little hostel in Berunes. I did feel however that I was difficult to find a bed for as a single traveller, but I never figured out why. They apologized for putting me where they did and even gave me a discount. But I was never uncomfortable or felt out of place.
I stayed in the old farmhouse in a very comfortable bed. The bathrooms were clean and large.
The whole place was very quiet and relaxing. Breakfast was hot pancakes and cereal. I was very surprised at how relaxing this hostel was. I would definitely return.
The only downside to this place was that there was no where to eat dinner nearby. They had a kitchen where you could cook your own meals, but there was also no grocery store nearby. I wish I had known this ahead of time and I would have brought something from one of the larger towns up north.

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Djupivogur
Hotel Framtid
#5 of 8 in Djupivogur
Saxa Guesthouse
Saxa Guesthouse
#1 of 1 in Stodvarfjordur

Been to Berunes HI Hostel? Share your experiences!