Review Highlights
Spectacular waterfall off the beaten path

Approx 30 miles south from the ring-road in the Northeast of Iceland (turn south on road 842 close... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Binni-ice
Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
via mobile
Take a 4wd

Stunning waterfall approximately 40km off the main road and down a bumpy dirt/gravel road. The... read more

Reviewed July 7, 2019

from $111.29
from $243.95
from $111.29
More Info
All reviews basalt columns beautiful waterfall dirt road hiking boots the main road godafoss sedan falls edge path hike 40km splendor rocks cars detour viewpoint
Selected filters
Reviewed October 8, 2018

Aldeyjarfoss is hands down my favorite waterfall that we saw in Iceland. It is difficult to desire in words the experience we had there. We drove there from Godafoss also a must see. It was about a 45 min drive south drive on a gravel/dirt road you defiantly need a 4W drive to this. The drive there was amazing it felt like we were driving on another planet. We pulled in to the parking and we were the only car there which was pretty cool since we had just come from Godafoss which had a lot of people. You have to walk down not the best path I am very glad we had hiking boots with good traction on them. I am pretty clumsy so I would have fallen if I just had gym shoes on. Once we got down the sight was indescribable there was no one else there. We were there for over and hour and did not see a single soul. On the drive there and back we did not see any other cars. Aldeyjarfoss is a must see in my opinion and I definitely want to see it again the next time we go to Iceland.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed September 28, 2018

This was an incredible waterfall to photograph. It was one of the few sunny days that we could photograph. We were able to walk along the path to the basalt columns and the beautiful waterfall. The whole scene is magnificent, from the river to the columns and rocks, then to the rapids. A great place! Highly recommended!

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

Easily one of my favorite waterfalls in Iceland! Took us an hour to walk there since we drove a 2wd car. Once I saw the basalt columns that lines up to this waterfall I just couldn’t help but be amazed! Like anywhere else in Iceland, pictures doesn’t do justice to this place. You need to see it with your own eyes!

Once there you can stand up to the edge to view the falls or hike down to the base of it.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed August 27, 2018

I am a native Icelander, 67 of age. I have always wanted to see this waterfall since I was a child. And finally, this august ('18) I went here. The weather was perfect, I was perfect, life was perfect.
Aldeyjarfoss is not so much about the "falling water". It is more about the surroundings. It is the columnar basalt arround it and you imagening how the river has has been flowing all over the area.
It takes 45 min to drive up there from Godafoss. It is a gravel road. So ask in the restaurant how it is before you go.
For me it was worth it. The road was good.

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank Kjartan H
Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

After a long drive over a very bumpy road we finally arrived at the waterfall. Just a short walk to the stunning basalt columns.

This was really worth it, but glad we had the 4wd. Couldn’t imagine a 2wd making it. And if the weather is bad, it will not be pleasant.

Date of experience: July 2018