“Considering everything.. Best hotel of trip”
Review of Sel Hotel Myvatn

Sel Hotel Myvatn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lake Myvatn
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Considering everything.. Best hotel of trip”
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Great location... Especially to see the aurora borialus at night.. Also there were great locations such as Namatjall Hiverir and a great natural bath/spa.. The food some of the best food I'd had at a hotel. 1 hot tub... More would have been practice but there were 40 of us. Great Rooms. V. Clean and great set up of free teas and coffees and the communal room was good to. And the steam room was to die for after trekking all day
They also have ski equipment for hire and a bar open of a night
The hotel is staffed by very friendly staff willing to speak in English and able to easily
I would struggle to find any faults worth mentioning

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jack_Da_Lad19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed two nights at Sel and it was in need of some repair. The bathroom stall was old and didn't close properly (leaving us to ensure water didn't escape). The beds weren't comfortable. The furniture was quite scratched up. It suited our needs but should we return again, we would choose another hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank TravelingSuz
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed April 29, 2014

A nice hotel at the southern end of Myvatn Lake. Myvatn is a beautiful area and visiting this area was the highlight of our trip. It is truly otherworldly and amazing! There is a lot to see in this area. If you can get to Myvatn, then make sure it is a stop on your journey to Iceland. I would recommend staying at the Sel Hotel. It is very nice and the rooms are big and comfortable. The best part was the wake up call from hotel staff to let my husband and I know the Northern Lights were out! This was my first time seeing the Northern Lights and they were amazing and magical. It couldn't have worked out better because we had our first clear night during our stay in the Myvatn area and the hotel catered to guests on the lookout for the Northern Lights. The hotel is a bit old and dated, but overall it is nice and a comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Had a spectacular northern lights show last night, comfort of the shelter and Gilli's insights into the time of showing was impeccable!

Wonderful friendly staff...great breakfast with warm fresh croissants and cakes.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank RashmiCMH
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I stayed here in the freezing January but was faced with warm and friendly hospitality ... and I got to see the Northern Lights! I travelled with an astronomy tour group and was given a huge twin for little me. As the hotel faces the pseudo craters and lake, I was a bit disappointed that my bedroom faced a wall but then I was only there to sleep and wash, and it was clean, warm and had a kettle! The food was excellent and it was great to be able to book activities there at short notice such as snowmobiling, pony trekking and tours. The reception would also ring your room if the northern lights were visible, so I had to make sure my clothes were all laid out so I was ready to go!

Only minor thing would be the shower could do with some modernising, otherwise, definitely somewhere where I would want to revisit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2014

our small group stayed at the hotel for 3 nights - the first of which was arranged with little warning as weather necessitated we go north a day early. it was marvelous.. the room was comfortable and had such luxuries as a heated towel rack and heated bathroom floor - both of which were very welcomed after a cold night out watching the Northern Lights! The food was very good, although some items tended to be a little rich, the bar comfortable seating, and a good breakfast offering. staff was very nice and helpful, including offering emergency glasses repair! It had a great location as a base of seeing some of the unique sights of the area. white ground, white sky, and this a welcomed warmth.

Room Tip: have no idea the price so can't comment on the value.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Westchester County, NY
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This was our second trip to Iceland and when we decided to head up to North Iceland, we spoke with a dear friend who is Icelandic and he recommended the Sel Hotel. I am so glad they had one room left for us!! The view from our window was breathtaking. We looked across to Lake Myvatn, which was snow covered and beyond beautiful. We had only one night of Northern Lights activity, which was rather weak, but we still had 5 of the most memorable days ever. The Sel Hotel uses an awesome group of tour operators, including their own staff, and we had adventures galore. We went horseback riding on the frozen lake, we toured the area, we soaked in the Nature Baths, had a great lunch at the Cowshed, I had my first snowmobile experience, we saw waterfalls, the staff was so helpful and accommodating. The location was excellent, our room was comfortable - what more could we ask for?! We would definitely return. Our photos are spectacular.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple