“One of the most depressing places I have ever been to”

Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
Book In Advance
$29.11*
and up
Half-Day Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site Walking Tour with a Local...
$52.54*
Private Tour: Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site Tour from Munich
$41.23*
and up
Munich WWII Combo: Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site and Third Reich...
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Dachau
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The long walk back to the camp could have been fairly pretty, but it was raining that day, so it made everything that much more depressing. We watched a movie first and then did a self guided tour. It was very interesting, but so depressing that I became teary eyed a few times. I learned a lot while I was there that day. I didn't go back to the gas chamber, which they apparently never ended up using there, but those in our group that ventured back there, said that you could still smell a funny smell. I went to the gift shop/snack bar and got hot chocolate because it was so cold, rainy and dreary. I thought that it would be really dirty, but the Nazi's made the prisoners keep it extremely clean.

2  Thank hctravelers
There are newer reviews for Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Maybe the most interesting place I have ever been...You cannot describe the feelings and the smell of the air...Speechless...

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We went there on the 25th of December. We bought a group ticket at the main train station from Munich to Dachau and from there we took a bus to the Camp. We bought the guided tour that lasted 2h30min where we had the opportunity to learn a bit more about the place and its history. I think it is a place to learn how far men can go when in power. It is very moving to think about the things that happened there. It is also possible to rent audio guides to know about the history in each area of the camp.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

A sight to see in order to understand history and a time to never be forgotten or repeated. Walking through the gates you are thrown into a time in history so sad but yet so important. You walk through as if you are being processed into the camp, the books kept by the Nazi's so prefect so filled with every detail of the peoples lives they destroyed, the map on the wall showing all the other camps reminds you this was the first camp but not the only one, nor the biggest. The film shown is so heart retching, so moving, the bunks so small, the cremation rooms so overwhelming. I knew I wanted to see these things but even months later it reminds you how precious life is, how important to remember those who died and never forget their sacrifice.

1  Thank Emmy2005
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Reading about the camp helps significantly before arriving, and do wait for a tour.

We found our own way to the site, purchasing a MVV ticket at the train station. It's easy to get to.

We went on a Saturday to avoid school groups. We didn't take a tour as we had read up on the background but this
meant we spent hours reading all of the information boards just in case we missed something!

Kids were running amuck all over the place taking photos of anything and everything which spoiled the moment for us as it seemed disrespectful, I don't think poorly supervised children should go there for all sorts of reasons!

We purchased two books which we will read to fill in the blanks for us.

1  Thank kanwilson