“A Must See”

Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
Book In Advance
$40.36*
and up
Munich WWII Combo: Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site and Third Reich...
$28.49*
and up
Half-Day Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site Walking Tour with a Local...
$51.42*
155 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“A Must See”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

As difficult and emotional as this tour is, it is a must see. Be expected to have an emotional and heart wrenching visit.

Visited August 2013

114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 240 helpful votes
“Gut-wrenching, tear-jerking”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Many people shed tears at Dachau, and I did also. I truly had the sense that this place was haunted by the dead, and a gloom with which I can compare no other situation came over me.When you walk through the gate with the "Arbeit macht frei" sign, you have arrived in hell on earth. As horrifying as the visit was, a visit here is important to any student of history. I was glad to have come in winter, as it attenuated the awful odors of the ovens. Having seen this concentration camp, I never wish to visit another, but I value that I cathartically saw it for myself. Observe, but do not linger.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank karmaswimswami
Canada
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A Sobering Reminder of What Happened”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

A reality / gut check about the goings on during and before WW II.
Large facility, comprehend the size and the destruction that took place.
The Crematoriums, and why so many Germans suffered like everyone
else in the concentration camps.
A well spoken guide was essential and enlightening.
The rainy day we attended, grounded everything we knew previous to the visit.
Excellent museum, and graphic photographs grind the reality into you.

Visited October 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia
241 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 350 helpful votes
“Sobering and poignant”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

When I first found out we were going to Germany in winter I was a little disappointed because of the weather. However, when we got to Dachau I realized that coming in winter was a gift. It put into much more vivid perspective the unimaginable suffering the prisoners there encountered at the hands of their captors. As we toured about shivering, observing the open fields in front of the housing areas, we couldn't help but contemplate the pain and misery the underdressed, often barefooted, malnourished people must have felt as they stood there being counted. This site is well-worth visiting. Take the guided tour. Learn, listen, reflect, take time to just let it soak in.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Jen R
Ozark, Missouri
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Unbelievably sad”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visited Dachau in Oct 2013. Provided with English language hand held wands that described the different areas as you walked through. We felt as if the camp had been "cleaned up" to make it look better than what it surely was. There were only two of the barracks and they had been rebuilt - not original. All others had been torn down. There were religious memorials to various religions and at least two monuments or statues. The museum was very interesting with pictures and stories from beginning to end. Such a sad, unnecessary event in our world history. So many people and for what? My father-in-law helped liberate a concentration camp and he had so many stories to tell. There were many more than I realized all over Germany, even in Poland and Austria. Just so sad and sickening. Dachau was a must see,.

Visited October 2013