“Great tour by Gordon”

More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I decided to forgo the cookie cutter big tour company tour in favor of a more personal tour from Gordon. He definitely delivered by offering a thorough tour that covered much more than historical facts about the camp. He told us interesting (and surprising) tidbits about German history and the Nazi regime, something that other tour guides wouldn't necessarily have done. My only (minor) complaint is that his tour tended to become a little preachy at times - he obviously has opinions on what happened (and on contemporary developments) and expresses them regularly through the tour. I can imagine that for someone who might not agree with his views (I did), this might become repetitive. That being said, I would still strongly recommend his tour over the competition.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,518)
All reviews
in 47 reviews
"tour group"
in 51 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was my first visit to a concentration camp. The museum contains a great deal of information. All of the reading material is in German and English so I did not use any type of audio guide. You can spend many hours reading all of the info and I like how they placed the museum in the buildings where the prisoners would have passed. Dachau was where the infamous medical experiments were performed and there were photos depicting some of them so be prepared for tears. The exhibits talk about every type of person that was arrested and brought there, from Jews and Roma to Homosexuals and Jehovah's Witnesses. One can find someone with which to relate in those who passed through Dachau. The U.S. Army liberated the camp due to the work of the International Red Cross. The inmates cheered the Americans as they entered the camp. The thought of that day brought me pride in my country that we did a very good thing that day.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

When we toured, we used the headsets for the audio tour. There was so much information. I had expected we might spend a couple hours, but we ended up spending twice that amount of time and still rushed through near the end. There is so much history, and the museum they have set up has a plethora of information, most of which is in German and English. The audio can be a little difficult to follow in the museum. It is best to listen to the audio for an overview and then choose the pieces you'd like to learn more about and read those excerpts at the exhibits. On another note, there is a cafeteria located on the grounds that has an array of different food options from sandwiches to hot food like lasagna or currywurst. It was decently priced (5-10 euros for a meal), and although we didn't, one could take a break to eat, then return to the grounds for more time.

1  Thank eiler517
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I visited Dachau today to get a greater insight into the Nazi regime and what exactly concentration camps were like. It was a very humbling experience, the eery feeling upon entering will stay with my for a long time, but something I felt I needed to see.

This memorial is free to do and only a short bus and train ride from the city centre of Munich.

I would suggest taking a visit here just to understand better what we have all learnt about and see for youaelves the horrible place where horrible things have happened.

I feel after visiting dachau I have a greater appreciation for the world we live in today and a greater respect for all those who stand up for what is right and just in this world.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Though somber, I think it is important for us to take advantage of visiting such sites to be informed. We spent a few hours here, but one could spend the entire day. This was my first time visiting a concentration camp memorial. I learned a lot and gained more insight into the terrible tragedy of the Holocaust. We did not do the guided tour or audio tour, but I could imagine that you could learn even more that way. There is lots of information to read in a museum-like setting. There is also nice portrait photo exhibition that features the portraits and words of survivors who came back to visit Dachau.