Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site

from $25.60
from $40.70
from $32.50
5,518 results
All reviews gas chamber audio guide dachau concentration camp sobering experience arbeit macht frei heart wrenching eye opening own pace radius tours information boards train station first hand different languages nazi regime piece of history public transport tour group
Reviewed July 22, 2013

When we toured, we used the headsets for the audio tour. There was so much information. I had expected we might spend a couple hours, but we ended up spending twice that amount of time and still rushed through near the end. There is so much history, and the museum they have set up has a plethora of information, most of which is in German and English. The audio can be a little difficult to follow in the museum. It is best to listen to the audio for an overview and then choose the pieces you'd like to learn more about and read those excerpts at the exhibits. On another note, there is a cafeteria located on the grounds that has an array of different food options from sandwiches to hot food like lasagna or currywurst. It was decently priced (5-10 euros for a meal), and although we didn't, one could take a break to eat, then return to the grounds for more time.

1  Thank eiler517
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I visited Dachau today to get a greater insight into the Nazi regime and what exactly concentration camps were like. It was a very humbling experience, the eery feeling upon entering will stay with my for a long time, but something I felt I needed to see.

This memorial is free to do and only a short bus and train ride from the city centre of Munich.

I would suggest taking a visit here just to understand better what we have all learnt about and see for youaelves the horrible place where horrible things have happened.

I feel after visiting dachau I have a greater appreciation for the world we live in today and a greater respect for all those who stand up for what is right and just in this world.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Though somber, I think it is important for us to take advantage of visiting such sites to be informed. We spent a few hours here, but one could spend the entire day. This was my first time visiting a concentration camp memorial. I learned a lot and gained more insight into the terrible tragedy of the Holocaust. We did not do the guided tour or audio tour, but I could imagine that you could learn even more that way. There is lots of information to read in a museum-like setting. There is also nice portrait photo exhibition that features the portraits and words of survivors who came back to visit Dachau.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We toured Dachau through Viator so we were taken by train and bus there.
Our tour was very informative and we learned a lot about events leading up to the Nazi party as well as the persecution of many people, particularly the Jews.
The events that happened were horrifying as we all know, but to actually be there and see it for yourself made you have a much better understanding. It is disturbing but hopefully passing along the knowledge be beneficial for future generations. I didn't know half of how bad things were until I learned from the tour.
The film that you see is very informative but I would not recommend it for children. The images of emaciated dead people stacked are the stuff of nightmares.
It is strange to say it is a good tour, because it is horrifying, but we did enjoy it and learned quite a bit.

1  Thank jjmmff625
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Dachau is history in action. It is a place where you realize what happened in WWII and the world should not repeat it again. This tour is informative and amazing. You get first hand experience the atrocities committed there. Our guide was spectacular and his information and may it seem as if you were a prisoner there. This is a must see place.