“Had a fantastic experience!”

Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
Book In Advance
More Info
$37.13*
and up
Munich WWII Combo: Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site and Third Reich...
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Dachau
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
New Jersey
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Had a fantastic experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had never been to a concentration camp and wanted to see one. Had a chance to go to Dachau which is one of the very first ones that opened.

When I got there, I was only planning to stay for about an hour or so. I asked for a tour and they said, "it will start in 1 hour and it will last about 2.5 hours." I told them I did not have that time and they told me I could walk around on my own and read the signs. I decided to go that route. I spent 5 hours there!!

I learned so much about how Nazi Germany came into power and what went on. I am not a WWII history buff, but I greatly enjoyed to learn about all of this. It was fascinating but depressing.

I came out well educated, depressed and angry about what happened there, and proud to be an American. I know, this sounds egotistical but when you see all the horrors that occurred for years and years and then you learn that it was the Americans who liberated this camp, there is pride there.

I recommend this to anyone who is visiting the Munich area!

1 Thank NJeMktingGuy

39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Sad but a must-see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

While it is sad to see and hear about. It is definitely necessary to visit to truly understand the extent of the horrors committed against the people detained at camps such like these. We used the walking tour and the guide was very knowledgeable and informative.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Lest we forget.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

On a recent city break to Munich my husband and we took time out to learn about and pay our respects to the horrors of WWII that were carried out at concentration camps such as Dachau. Most, when asked to name a concentration camp will usually mention Auschwitz however it is imperative that places such as Dachau are remembered, especially as this was the original concentration camp, opened in 1933, upon which all others were based! The whole event was moving and teaches you of the historical background to the camp, those who served there, the treatment of different prisoners and the atrocities committed! There are many original features and you are greeted at the entrance by the now famous phrase 'Arbeit macht Frei" Alas in the case of many who were sent here, work did not make them free! I would recommend visiting here so that we all understand that these camps existed and never forget what happened behind the facade that they were places where life was good.

1 Thank cdakin66
Nova Scotia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A place that everyone should see.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a place that everyone who comes to this area should take the time to see... there is so much history here -Warning: there are many graphic photos in the museum- you can walk through the gas chamber and the decontamination showers, look into the bunker prison rooms, go into the chapel (while we were there, there was nuns singing) and just take it all in at your own pace. They do offer guided tours, but we didn't take one d/t time constraints, but you should designate 1/2 a day to this. There is a memorial room where you can look up the names of those that died, and a room dedicated to survivors. There is also a library where you can do your own research, but you have to book an appointment in advance for that.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank JoanKeller
Rochester, New York
176 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“A humbling stop over”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

A place to visit that will make you think and reflect a lot. Did not use a guide, but instead just wandered around and took it all in. I did not have enough time to see everything because of time constraints. However, I'm glad this camp is made available for those to see what really occurred here and the lives lost. Very somber and quiet.

Visited April 2013