“Unforgettable experience!”

Chateau de Saint-Loup
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Unforgettable experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We just spent four days at the Chateau de Saint Loup for a wedding. The venue is absolutely beautiful! The Castle is gorgeous, the keep is gorgeous, the property is beautiful, in every corner, the rooms are beautiful and huge. Everything was beyond our expectations and the owners were very friendly and helpful. Honestly, you will not be disappointed staying here, it is breathtaking!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ewa K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I am not sure what I can add to the many rave reviews of this utterly charming, unique, authentic, and personal chateau experience. We were a three-generational family group of fifteen whose main purpose was to enjoy each other's company in a beautiful and interesting place. The Chateau de Saint-Loup turned out to be an ideal venue for our gathering; the balance between old world elegance and laid-back informality perfectly suited the needs of a group ranging in age from 8 to 80.

Our gracious hosts, Charles-Henry and Sophie, were as flexible and accommodating as they could possibly be and worked tirelessly to make us feel at home in their home. They are also lovely and interesting people to get to know and their brand of hospitality is so personal that the whole experience ended up feeling more akin to visiting friends than staying at a hotel or even a typical bed and breakfast.

The buildings and grounds of the chateau are wonderfully atmospheric and romantic. Perhaps because St Loup is very much a home and because the restoration of the chateau is an ongoing labor of love, we felt a stronger sense of connection to the past and to French history than at some of the more famous Loire chateaux we visited.

The bulk of our family stayed in the Keep, a medieval tower, which despite having once been a dungeon had a very a homey feel to it. Our leisurely, sociable, breakfasts took place at a long, rustic, dining table in the Keep's cozy breakfast room. Our days were rather disorganized and free form (owing to the type of family we are) but with Charles-Henri's help we did manage to take some very interesting day trips and see things we probably wouldn't have sought out on our own. Charles-Henri accompanied us on one trip to La Rochelle, a wonderful port town on the Atlantic coast, and later in the afternoon, to the beautiful Isle de Re.

Another expedition, (for the benefit of the children) was to Puy de Fou, an almost indescribably fantastical theme park based on French history. Here we saw three shows, each of which featured the most amazing collection of trained animals we had ever seen - too many to list here - and not-to-be-believed special effects. There is also a quite authentic looking medieval village with artisans and shops. There are no rides or junk food here and the grounds are clean and nicely landscaped. We only spent one afternoon at Puy de Fou but you could easily spend three days and not see everything. In 2012 Puy de Fou received the Thea Industry Award for best theme park in the world. Still, this is not an international tourist attraction. Most visitors to the park are French and the shows are in French without translations.

At the chateau the children played croquet on the lawn, paddled around the mote in a rowboat, played with a litter of kittens residing just outside the kitchen door, and otherwise happily amused themselves on the beautiful grounds.

Evenings at St Loup were nothing less than enchanted with drinks in the 'orangerie', a lovely walled garden of orange and lemon trees, followed by dinner at a commodious, candelabra-bedecked dining table in a magnificent hall with an enormous fireplace. The food was delicious and each course thoughtfully paired with local wines chosen by Charles-Henri.

We would absolutely recommend St Loup to anyone with a romantic sensibility; an appreciation for chivalry, noblesse oblige, and elegance; and a love of ancient places that have not been stripped of the patina of history.

Room Tip: If you are a family, by all means stay in the keep. If a couple, we recommend one of the rooms in th...
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank April401
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We arrived at the chateau to a very unfriendly" we don't usually let guests in until 3 pm but you can come in". We had only arrived early as it was cold and very wet. The owner came to the gate to let us in and another couple arrived who got his attention and he disappeared with them. We were left wondering, in the rain where we should go. He reappeared 5 minutes later saying there was no room in the keep so we had been upgraded to the chateau. It is a very imposing building. We were taken inside and after going around corridors and up flights of stairs we arrived in the blue room. The building was freezing cold but the room was warm. It was very attractive but rather shabby. We were given the locking up time and asked what time we wanted breakfast and then left. We appeared to be the only guests in this huge creepy building. We went out and on our return we found walking through the chateau very creepy. We got to our room and discovered it had loads of bugs walking and flying around. They bothered us all night. The bed was the most uncomfortable one I have ever slept, or actually not slept in as sleep was impossible with the bugs. There were no keys for the door and so we had to put a chair against it for security. At breakfast next morning I mentioned the bugs and were told that always happens when the heating is first put on. It only lasts a few days but they will come and clear them. Breakfast was poor, in a country famous for cheese to give guests only baby bell for the cheese is a bit poor. The hot chocolate had no flavour, not nice. When we returned in the evening the bugs were still there. Sophie did come twice to Hoover them up but more just came. I don't think that rooms should be let if infested with bugs. We found out from other guests that there was a lounge in the keep with tv and was lovely and warm, we were not told of this. I think comfort should not be compromised, the rooms although authentic should have comfortable beds and no bugs. I was very disappointed with this chateau. Others might like the authentic going back in time experience but it is not for me.

Room Tip: If your not in the keep don't go.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ovine
Carcassonne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our recent stay at Chateau de Saint Loup has become the highlight of our holiday. We were greeted with great warmth and hospitality as soon as we arrived in the car park which continued until our departure which made our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The enthusiasm and passion of our hosts was infectious.

The castle itself is a superb example of medieval history, having been lovingly restored to give an authentic feel of this period. The castle grounds include an orangerie, pavilion, a moat and canal and a private wood.

5 stars - I would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nicole_gajewski26
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We enjoyed our three day stay at the Chateau St Loup.

We had a large comfortable room at the top of the “dungeon”, a renovated tower where an English king once imprisoned one of his enemies.

Other rooms are in the large renaissance-era chateau, which is slowly being renovated as revenues are put towards restoring the building and expanding the number of rooms.

If you have children, tell them to pack their princess and knight costumes as they are staying at a castle, complete with what used to be a dungeon tower, surrounded by a moat, owned by a count who speaks perfect English.

The lady of castle was our hostess at a very adequate breakfast.

The chateau also has a link to the story of Puss and Boots, written by a friend of a former owner. (You will have to leave it to your imagination as to whether the resident cat is a descendent of the famous feline.)

On the other side of the moat the property contines with a miniature Versailles-style garden complete with potted citrus trees, an apple and pear orchard, and horses.

We enjoyed our stay, and if we ever find ourselves in this part of France again we will be repeat guests.

Room Tip: Pick your room from the Chateau website, so that you know what you are getting. The price you pay w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
La Herradura, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

At the end of a pleasurable week long tour of France, my partner and I chose Chateau de Saint Loup for a birthday celebration. We were not disappointed. In fact the whole experience became the highlight of the holiday.

I am fortunate enough to have stayed in some beautiful and very grand hotels in many different countries but few come close to the atmosphere and exclusivity that is Chateau de Saint Loup. Comte Charles-Henri and Comtesse Sophie are most engaging and entertaining hosts who made us feel more welcome that I can remember in any other place I have stayed for a very long time. This is very much a home of course and not an impersonal, international 5 star hotel. But what a home! A chateau in the course of a long and sympathetic renovation which Charles-Henri is more than pleased to share. Yes, there is of course the odd cobweb, creaking door, flaky paintwork and sagging ceiling but this is all part of the originality and charm.

We enjoyed a wonderful and exclusive birthday evening. Sphie's cooking and choice of menu was superb and very much to our tastes as was Charles-Henri's choice of wine.

I would recommend a stay in this charming, authentic and quite magnificent chateau without hesitation.

Room Tip: The magnificent Chambre de Voltaire is HUGE and full of antiquity. Some may find it a little cold bu...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon B
Lopez Island, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had read about this chateau in a lovely book about France that I have had for several years so I was eager to see it for myself. No words can describe the joy I experienced when I was finally able to stay in the ancient keep of this marvelous place!

I arrived early and the room I had reserved was not quite ready. Sophie was a dear: she showed me the room I had reserved and then offered me a much larger, more expensive room for the same price if I should like it better. I took the larger and lovelier room.

I loved the common room with the great firefplace and fire! I enjoyed an evening picnic on the grounds and relaxed away the evening in the lovely room. The next day I spent time wandering around the grounds, the walled gardens, the stables, the stream. Then Charles-Henri provided a private tour of the chateau itself, taking time to explain paintings, unique furniture, and the history behind it all. It was a delight. I had expected to pay extra for the tour since the sign at the great gates gives the price of chateau tours, but not so. It was included in the stay! The breakfast was lovely - the bread supurb! They use a special baker whose bread they really like. Good choice!

I was overwhelmed by the amount of work and devotion it takes to maintain (much more to restore) such a huge and elegant place. Sophie was out mowing for hours on the commercial mower to prepare for an upcoming wedding. Both were more than gracious to me.

I thank them for such a special visit. I wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Loup-Lamaire
Domaine de Chantemerle
Le Vieux Chateau - chambres et table d'hotes
Logis de Riparfonds
Logis de Riparfonds
#1 of 4 in Bressuire

Been to Chateau de Saint-Loup? Share your experiences!