“Overpriced Hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Eureka Springs
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Overpriced Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Let me start by saying, the staff at this hotel was excellent, very friendly and accommodating and the hotel location was great. As for the suite-I was very excited to book the balcony suite for a special weekend trip. Arriving at the hotel, we were told the suites were in the VIP section only accessible by the stairs-not the elevator. We found the stairs run right past the three suites' doorways, which means when the elevator is broken (quite frequently) every person in the hotel is walking and talking right past your door. If that isnt bad enough, the balcony suite sits DIRECTLY under the restaurant so it is extremely noisy. For $200 per night I would expect a shower that works (scalding or freezing) good towels (when room service left any) and some quiet. I will add also I have never been compelled to write a review until this experience.

Room Tip: Dont book a suite or spa room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julie G
macdevelopment, Manager at 1905 Basin Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
We appreciate your review. Updates and remolding take place on a daily basis with in the hotel to keep it updated. Your review on room 506 is noted and will be taken further to the correct department. We are pleased that you were able to take advantage of some of the amenities we have to offer with in the hotel. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

The location in the center of the old town is nearly unbeatable. The staff was friendly and helpful and our room comfortable and attractive. Free parking is available a short distance away with both free shuttle and valet service also offered. The floors are a somewhat squeaky and uneven but we were not bothered by noises. Our room had been recently painted, furnished and decorated quite appropriately for the period of the hotel. Storage space (just a small, shallow closet) and furnishings (only one chair and no table) were somewhat lacking but I suspect this was because we had a room with two queen beds. Had there been only one queen or king sized bed there would be room for additional furnishings. There was a small desk with a chair in a niche. The off-season mid-February pricing was a genuine bargain. Having visited Eureka Springs on numerous occasions in the past it was nice to enjoy the town when it is not crowded.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
macdevelopment, Manager at 1905 Basin Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Basin Park Hotel for the location is ideal. We have noted you review about an additional table and it will be passed to the correct department. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Living in Northwest Arkansas and working part time in Eureka Springs makes it easy to neglect some of the treasures we have. The Basin Park Hotel is one of those treasures. On the occasions I have the opportunity to actually spend the night in Eureka Springs, the Basin Park hotel is my first choice. Located in the heart of downtown, everything is in walking distance. This is the Hotel of choice for my wife and I whenever we manage a weekend get-a-way. Service is always first class.

1 Thank WWilliams1965
macdevelopment, Manager at 1905 Basin Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased that you enjoy your stays with us and we look forward to seeing you on your next one.
Plano, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at the Basin Park hotel 12-23-12 to 12-27-13 and my stay could not have been any better. I was upgraded from a standard king, they gave me and my boyfriend 517, a Queen Jacuzzi Suite, and it was absolutely wonderful. They made sure any request I had was fulfilled as fast as possible, such as when I would ask for a shuttle, the driver appeared promptly. I asked for extra coffee, brought up within 5 minutes. I had a do not disturb sign on the door, they left a bag on my door with extra towels and such, then on the days I did want service always did an amazing job.The staff was always courteous, asking questions about my boyfriends and my home in Dallas, asking if we needed anything, and where just wonderful to talk to. the TV's in the living room and bedroom where AMAZING. Huge flat screens and the one in the bedroom swivled so you could move it according to your own preference. The mattress was a little hard for my taste. The bathtub was AMAZING. I went to Bath Junkie which is a couple of doors down from the hotel and got bubble bath that was the best I have ever had. When I used the bathtub, I was in complete heaven. Not to mention, the view I could see of Eureka and everything around it from the bathtub window was breathtaking (yes there was a window by the bathtub, can you say AWESOME). The bar tenders at both the Billiards bar and the Patio bar where excellent and made all my drinks perfectly!!!! The hotel has a VERY old feel to it, so if you enjoy antique looks like me and dont expect a top of the line new age hotel, your in the right spot. The floors DO squeak when you walk down the hall and when you go up and down the stairs, but there is nothing dangerous about the hotel. The elevator works just fine, so long as you dont have more than 6 on a one time but it was never a problem during my 4 night stay. When I was hungry late at night, the front desk mentioned the snacks they kept handy, which was a wonderful surprise. Basically, I WILL be returning to this hotel. I hope other people are as willing to try new things as I was, because you will enjoy your stay so much more if you do. The staff, hotel, locals, and shops are all so worth visiting. Talk about a truly sweet and kind hearted place.

Room Tip: The best views are from balcony suites. The only ice machine is on 3rd floor. not all rooms have ref...
2 Thank Ashley K
macdevelopment, Manager at 1905 Basin Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased that your enjoyed your stay. Your review has been noted and will be passed on to the staff who will be grateful. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
North Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I've stayed here twice before and it was a great experience. This last time, it was only average. Don't stay in a room by the elevator. It is way too noisy. Also, you will hear people walking up and down the stairs all night long. Also, housekeeping woke us up at 8:55am knocking on the door. Check out wasn't until 11am. When we asked them to come back later, they both stayed outside our room and talked until we eventually checked out. If we come back, hopefully a Do Not Disturb sign will fix the problem. I did think it was slightly rude to wait outside the room as we got ready to leave.... made us feel rushed. The breakfast voucher and servers at the restaurant were nice.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Noelle H
We apologize for the early morning wake up knock. Your review has been noted and reviewed by the housekeeping lead at the hotel and will be taken further. We are pleased that your enjoyed your breakfast and service. Thank you for the room tip, with the historical aspect of the hotel the walls and insulation have been worn. Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you on your next stay.
Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have stayed at the Basin Park Hotel many times over the past 20 years and have always loved staying in such a neat historic place, however my last stay for my Birthday weekend was not very pleasant. The double room bed comforter was nothing but pockets of wadded up lumps and the beds were not comfortable. We wanted to have a fun weekend and be able to sleep in to get caught up on our rest. A little before 8am, we started hearing kids running up and down the halls yelling as if playing and hitting the walls. We thought it must be another guest's child and they would be leaving. The rowdy yelling kid kept running up and down the hall about every 10 minutes for about 2 hours when finally we just got up since we couldn't sleep and my husband stepped out into the hall to confront the parents when he discovered it was the maids 4 or 5 year old son who was running up and down the halls yelling and hitting the walls. We asked to be moved to another floor which the hotel gave us an upgraded king room which was not much quieter since it was only 2 doors down from the elevator. If you are planning on sleeping in, this is not the place with thin walls and doors. Also, the hotel now charges an "acitivity fee" of 6.95 for each day you stay there and slips a piece of paper under your door offering you a hour of "free" billards or one of the walking tours for "free". You are NOT told that you will be charged an activity fee upon check in or when booking the room. I am not upset so much about the money but the fact that they add on this fee which raises the room rate without telling the customer. I think I can get a quiet room elsewhere for $100 bucks a night in Eureka Springs! Also, I believe I can schedule my own activities at my own discretion and not feel like I have been scammed. One last issue was the courtesy van that takes you back and forth to the parking lot was so slow that we just walked. It seems customer service has become non existent at this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner suites are the quieter rooms but are more expensive.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sandrak9
macdevelopment, Manager at 1905 Basin Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
We apologize for the inconvenience of the easily traveling noise within the historical hotel. Your review has been noted and will be sent to the housekeeping head right away to address the issue of the child creating the noise. The activity fee does include a free tour and free pool as well as other amenities. The fee includes the shuttle that is offered to take you to the parking lot and other places within the downtown area and it also includes free WiFi throughout the entire hotel. The shuttle may have been extra busy the weekend of your stay due to groups and or weddings but again your review has been noted and will be passed to the front desk manager who will address the issue. We hope to improve your opinion in the near future on your next stay.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

If you like the nostalgia of a really old hotel, this one has been kept up very nicely. It creaks, but you would too at that age. It is the most convenient place to stay for shopping and has free parking via hotel shuttle (parking lot is a few blocks away). The only complaint I had was that WiFi did not work on the 4th floor where I stayed. I don't know if that is a permanent situation because the desk clerk wasn't sure why. But, overall, I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
macdevelopment, Manager at 1905 Basin Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased that your enjoyed your stay and some of the amenities we have to offer. We apologize about the WiFi and it will be taken care of. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay in the near future.