“Splendid Getaway”

1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Eureka Springs
Reviewed September 4, 2010

This old Hotel is absolutely wonderful - sitting high atop a hill overlooking Eureka Springs, and the Ozarks. The staff is so helpful and accomodating. It's away from the hustle & bustle of downtown and offers a free shuttle service to/from hotel to the downtown area. The gardens are immaculate, as are all their grounds. Will definitely return. Many amenities are offered, including the great breakfasts, and Doc Baker's Rooftop bistro is a great place to sit in the afternoon or evenings to chill out & enjoy the views.

• Stayed: August 2010

Reviewed September 1, 2010

I stayed 2 nights at the Crescent hotel, located at the summit of the town of Eureka Springs in an incredibly comfortable room yet with an authentic 1900's feel to it. Mattress/sheets were wonderful. Absolutely phenomenal views of the grounds from my windows. Staff was gracious, friendly, and the 2 cats wandering around added to the impromptu charm of the place. Great breakfast too.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I got married this weekend at the crescent, after a year of planning and such high hopes I was let down severly. Throughout the planning process my wedding coordinator was difficult to deal with, not always listening to what I was saying and sometimes I had to wait weeks to hear back from her. When we met and sat down to talk to her she had ordered the wrong beer, which was 175.00 for a pony keg, and was to late to reorder the right one. After our meeting I went down to the salon to make sure my hair and makeup appt were still in the computer system. It was not. I made my appt 6 months ago and she had no record of me. Thankfully she was able to fit me in the next morning of the wedding. After spending a small fortune on hair, makeup, ect.. My updo starting falling out 30 minutes into the wedding. Before I went to my hair appt that morning I went to set up the reception and the white table cloths were wrinkled so bad that I had to hand iron them because thier staff wouldn't. Some of them were stained so bad with tea and coffee I had to search the hotel for new ones. Some of the tables were so unstable we had to duct tape them to the floor the keep the centerpieces from falling off. When the reception was over all we heard was the dj saying this will be the last dance then the staff ran in and kicked all of our guests out. Literally picking up some of the ladies purses and handing them to them. After spending over 500.00 on alcohol, they would not let us take any of the unopened wine bottles and ect.. They just put them back into thier bar stock! Which is ridiculous! I paid for all of it, I think I should be able to take it or give some to our guests. We went to check into our room, which was the jacuzzi suite. After such a long day we were really looking foward to just relaxing and sleeping in. That plan was quickly ruined when 7 am came and a constuction crew starting thier jackhammers underneath our window.. The hotel did allow us to switch rooms and we were put into the south penthouse. Our jacuzzi and tv were broken so we had maintenance come up to fix the leaking jacuzzi after he was done we asked him what the strange smell was in the room and we were informed it was dead bats in the walls. We decided to go down to the hot tub to get out of our blistering hot room and it was broken... This is just the high points of our trip to the crescent.... Do not get married here!!!

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank ScarletRoxann
macdevelopment, Manager at 1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2010

At the Outset, please accept my sincere apology for failing to meet your expectations. At the Crescent, we have the highest of standards and host well over 300 weddings annually. We NEVER want to miss and I apologize that we fell short on your occasion.

Though not our practice to comment on this platform, as you chose to post prior to allowing us to speak further, I will share with you that I am aware of the issue with the beer, Linens and construction. I am investigating your spa appointments, tables and concerns with our sales manager. Furthermore, I have asked for our Director of Sales to be back in contact with you.

In our business, challenges do surface (beer misordered, Flatwork Ironer breaking, construction improvements), however I was pleased to hear that our staff attempted to resolve the issues that proved frustrating to the client and disappointing that such occurences happened through the hotel.

Finally, I sense your displeasure with the beverage purchase, however we do not hold a retail permit through the Beverage and Control board and subsequently if we sell it we have an obligation to serve.

I apologize again for missing your expectations, however as our Trip Advisor comments demonstrate, your experience was a disaapointing exception to an esteemed reputation.

Jack Moyer
Crescent Hotel & Spa
Vice President and General Manager
"The Symbol of Hospitality for the State of Arkansas"

Reviewed August 22, 2010

This hotel is great. It has some of the most beautiful architecture inside. The rooms are very nice. The bathrooms are kind of small but very nice. It has some pictures of the way it used to look throughout the hotel which makes it very interesting. The spa is wonderful and relaxing. The Crystal Dining room is a nice place to have a romantic dinner. The breakfast is very tasty. The Crescent is great for a weekend getaway. I have been on the ghost tour several times over the past 10 years. I probably won't go on the ghost tour any more. It has changed since the hotel took the tour over and its not as good as it used to be. We didn't get much sleep after 3am because we had our own ghost experience in our room which was unnerving at first but it was awesome to experience it. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that enjoys a charming ambiance.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I had a lovely solo getaway to this beautiful hotel and decided to extend my stay another night. I had a balcony room and I could not have been more thrilled. My room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The grounds of the hotel are lovely and the service was also wonderful. I can not wait to come back with my husband and explore more of the town of Eureka Springs, I am from California and it very much reminded me of Carmel in the Ozarks. The hotel and the town were both a delight! Thank you to the staff for giving me two wonderful days!

Reviewed August 20, 2010

The Crescent is a beautiful place, as ornate in its history as it is in its structure. The staff was very friendly and Tommie made excellent suggestions as to how to take the walks and tours of the scenic areas of Eureka Springs. My wife and I have been on several ghost tours across the nation, and this one, while not an actual investigation, was one of the best. The room was comfortable and the night was restful. The breakfast in the Crystal Dining Room was fantastic, and Timothy makes a mean omelet.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2010

The room seemed to be clean at first glance, but our windows were sticky, dirty with little hand prints on them. The outside of the windows was dirty, but that was to be expected. I got glass splinters in my foot from walking barefooted on the carpet. Our bathroom ceiling leaked and the plaster fell into my bath water. We were interrupted during the night because of a simular leak below us. We had to re-dress because the staff had to check where the water was coming from. We also waited for maid service to clean the bath tub. We did not get into bed before 11:30 P. M. and this was supposed to be a romantic birthday evening.

The staff apologized and we were given a small discount off the price of the room, which covered the tips that were left for the staff. The water and the plaster were not thier fault. We felt that we should have been given another night's stay, but didn't bother to ask because we were exhausted from the day of exploring in the garden and the hotel. wanted to get back home to rest. Overall, it was NOT a good experience.

We love the old hotel and have visited in the past. We had looked forward to our stay, but were sorely dissapointed because of the way things turned out in our room. We would love to stay again, but not in room #221.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple