“Nice Italian restaurant”

Saint Charles, Missouri, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice Italian restaurant”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our waitress was great (can't remember her name). Food was very good. We had a long wait (over an hour). After reading other reviews, this seems typical. We ate here on a Wednesday night in March. There is a bar and waiting room upstairs. Games to play while waiting. Nice idea.

Visited March 2013

“Not worth the wait.”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My family and I went to this restaurant and wasn't pleased. Now while the food isn't bad, it's not spectacular either. They have a few good items, but the things that should be good, aren't. You have to wait for at least an hour for a table for four. The waiting space is cramped and awkward. Their bread is pretty good, and their salads (as long as you get Caesar) are pretty good. I got Chicken Parmesan for my appetizer and it was just okay. Nothing special about the chicken at all. The pasta was alright but their red sauce is terrible. Why not just use Prego or Ragu at this point? That's so much better than what they call marinara sauce. The Chicken Marsala was good, and the spaghetti with meat balls was good besides the tomato sauce. Our table's waitress was a shame - she'd talk over you or talk to people walking by while you were ordering. I think that while this isn't a bad restaurant, the wait and the illusion they give you of fine dining completely turns me off. They have paper napkins and individually wrapped butter for your bread. What is this place?! Everyone that works there acts like its the best around. My family and I will NOT be back.

“Was worth the wait!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This place was recommended to me by my cousin. It did not disappoint. The restaurant does not take reservations so you can expect a wait. The restaurant is in an old house. The upstairs is dedicated for waiting and the bar is up there. It was crowded and the conversations up there were lively. The food was fantastic. We started with the stuffed mushrooms. My husband and I shared an eggplant dish and got a side of meatballs. The roasted garlic and bread they serve are fantastic. Enjoy!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Cdrlinda
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Spend your money elsewhere in Eureka Springs!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Some friends wanted to try Ermilio's on a recent visit to Eureka Springs. I recalled that I had been to Ermilio's years ago, but all I could remember was a long wait. The key here is that the food was not memorable, and that hasn't changed! The food is almost forgettable, but next time I'll remember - it's not worth the trip up the hill!

After a long wait in the crowded upstairs bar, we were finally seated. We ordered mussels as an appetizer. They were decent, but nothing to write home about. Each table is presented with fresh bread and roasted garlic to spread on the bread. This (and in hindsight, the mussels) became the high point of the meal.

Before ordering, we asked the waiter if pasta was fresh made. No - none of it. Strike one. This is an Italian restaurant. Pasta is simple to make - you should be making it fresh daily!

I suppose when the bulk of your business is comprised of tourists who are probably one-time visitors, it doesn't matter what you serve them, now does it? I believe Ermilio's is banking on the probability that their guests (1) don't know what Italian food should taste like and (2) they will never be back.

Foolishly I ordered tortellini, with some hope that they could properly boil pre-made pasta. I asked for Gorgonzola cream sauce, and grilled chicken. When my room-temperature pasta arrived, it had sat in the kitchen for so long that all the sauce had either been absorbed or evaporated. When I flagged down the waiter - he ALREADY KNEW I was going to request more sauce!! What a poor reflection on the kitchen. The only thing good about my entree was the grilled chicken breast. I didn't dare ask, but I suspect it was probably frozen, pre-grilled and re-heated. In any event, the flavor was nice and it was hot (microwaved?).

Two people at our table ordered the pork chop, which comes with a side of Penne pasta. Their pork chops were flaming hot, while the pasta was stone cold. Both said the pork chops were flavorful and good, but the pasta was inedible. Again....this is an Italian restaurant...pasta should be top notch! There is just no excuse for bad pasta.

I wouldn't recommend Ermilio's to anyone, for any reason. Far superior food is available in Eureka Springs at the same price point, less of a wait, and most other places in Eureka take reservations.

Avoid this place!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank GoddessOfTheBeach
Little Rock, AR
“Great Italian Place”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Went there after reading reviews and we were very happy with it all. It is busy and they had an upstairs lounge, but nobody was working it to sell drinks. That was disappointing, but everything else was great. Food, service and price were all great. Highly recommended