“Choose a B&B in Eureka Springs over this”

Livingston Junction Cabooses
Reviewed June 25, 2005

I have been to Eureka Springs three times and love the town. We decided to try the cabooses instead of a Bed and Breakfast in town because we enjoy quiet surroundings. Our Caboose did provide that but much little more. The outdoor jacuzzi was clean and new but the caboose was dirty. I fought an urge to take a bucket of hot water and soap to it all weekend. My wife was more understanding than I. I thought we would immediately be spending the night somewhere else but she surprised me! The pro's - secluded, quiet, kitchenette, patio with jacuzzi and grill. I would have enjoyed a walkthrough for the historical value. Con's - tight squeeze(I'm 5' 7"), dirty, linoleum peeling in the bathroom, slight musty smell, spiders, t.v. has no reception.
For the price, you will be much happier in a B&B or even a Best Western.

• Stayed: June 2005
8  Thank dedunbar

Reviewed May 19, 2003

My wife and I spent a weekend at one of the most interesting vacation spots we've ever experienced. The owner has remodeled three old railroad cabooses and set them up in the woods north of Eureka Springs. The site is well off the highway and very quiet and secluded. The cabooses are also far enough apart to insure individual privacy.Our caboose had been outfitted with a small kitchen and a comfortable bedroom. There also was a large deck and hot tub.The caboose was very clean and all of the furnishings were in good working order. We appreciated the country decor and nostalgic railroad items.There were some minuses though. We visited in the early spring and the owners were nowhere to be found. Fortunately we had no problems, but wouldn't have known where to find them if trouble had arisen. Also there are issues with caboose itself - you're living in a big metal box which heats up and cools down very rapidly so be prepared to switch frequently from heating to cooling in the spring and fall. Space is very limited - that's part of the experience, but don't expect lots of storage. Its okay for a weekend but I don't know that I could do a week there. Probably the worst feature is the bathroom. The caboose originally had a little toilet room somewhat smaller than the bathroom on a commercial airliner. You have a commode and a sink off to the side. I'm 5'8" and had to sit side saddle on the commode so that I could get the bathroom door to shut. I washed and shaved at the kitchen sink. There is a full size shower stall in one corner of the bedroom area so that works okay.The Livingston Junction Cabooses are not for everybody. If you're expecting a Hilton type room you're going to be disappointed but if you have a love of railroads, a sense of adventure, and the willingness to try something different you'll have a great time.

24  Thank DaveOK