“We got to stay in a caboose!!”

Livingston Junction Cabooses
Saint Louis, Missouri
“We got to stay in a caboose!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Livingston Junction Cabooses is such a cool and unique place, we were thrilled we got to experience it! We were only in town for one night (wish we had time for more) and chose 103. It was in great condition, and suited our needs perfectly. It is situated on a hill above the other cabooses, the surrounding woods provided all the privacy we needed. We found the inside tidy and clean, and it was lovely to have our own private deck with hammock, table/chairs, and hot tub. (A charcoal grill and burn pit are also provided, but due to the recent drought/burn ban, we did not use either of those.) The kitchenette had all we needed for our stay--large sink and countertop, coffeepot and coffee, dishes and utensils, microwave and mini-fridge. The bathroom was not cramped, and I spent a little extra time in there, just reading all the posters on the wall. The shower stall is located in the corner of the main living area, and with just the two of us, that worked out perfectly. Towels are provided, but you should pack your own shampoo/bodywash. The bed was not too small for us (I am just over 5ft, he is 6ft+), we slept quite comfortably. The tv/dvd player and stereo were available in the corner cabinet, but we spent most of our time relaxing in the hot tub--we were blessed with a nearly full moon and great weather during our stay. If you appreciate trains or cabooses (or the men who spent many of their days in them, who always waved when they saw you), this is a must-stay! This was an awesome place, and we are planning to return many more times!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gcoop123

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dickson, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed in 103, the western caboose, after finding these in a magazine of Eureka. We thought it was a bit unique from other places we have stayed so we gave it a try.
I'm glad we did. This place is just north of town down a county road that was partially paved and the driveway to each caboose was gravel that was mostly packed. I mention this because we rode in on our motorcycle and we were glad we came up while it was still daylight. We loved the secluded property, for the most part. It is not fancy, but served us well. The AC kept us cool after the hot tub got us warmed up! Nice hot tub...minus the spider the first night...
The bed is small in this one which we read online but it was comfy and similar to our camper bed. Cozy and kept my wife close by my side...
This place is nice and very peaceful for those that want I avoid the rat race of the strip. We will do it again and try out 101 and 102 eventually.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank SandnSun67
Harrisonville, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

We can't wait to stay here again. The Caboose was amazing with the history, the great deck with an awesome view, and a wonderful hot tub. We are always looking for unique places to stay and this definately fit what we were looking for. Thank you to the owners for providing such a great place.

Room Tip: Get there before dark! :)
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank uniquetraveler2000
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

We had a stay in caboose #103. It was delightful, really cozy, but it is in need of a bit of TLC. The wall paper is peeling in the kitchen and on the ceiling. There was a 'protective' coating of dust on everything. There were dead bugs in the corners of the bathroom. I enjoyed very much the hot tub, the peaceful setting and our quiet time together. The hot tub worked perfectly, but for the price I thought it would be much cleaner, in more pristine condition.

Our coffeepot ran over the first day taking over an hour to make a pot, a quick call to the owner meant a new pot was delivered within a few hours. The problem was the filter door kept popping open, it took 3 times of it doing this before I realized it wasn't going to stay shut. I held it together with a large black bull clip from my office.

The bed wasn't queen sized in Caboose #103....it was a full at best. It was not comfortable to sleep in, I had a sore arm the last evening from keeping it held up against my chest because I couldn't get comfortable. I think the other cabooses have larger beds....according to those reviews.

There needs to be more attention to detail. We had one washcloth left for the two of us. When replenishing there were only 2 left for another 2 nights of stay. I use the same towel at home, but always a new washcloth.

Take your own toiletries. This is rugged living, not set up like a hotel with bed changes and housekeeping every day. (This was just fine with us, it left us more time to lounge around and enjoy our time off.)

It rained while we were there, the wind howled through the trees, the wind blew right straight through the caboose from one end to the other, there is nothing to stop it from coming in the door. The gap is so wide on the front entrance that you could almost see out. We took the blanket that was hanging inside, opened the door, stuck it in the top and then re-shut the door to keep the breeze at bay. (This should tell you how big the gap actually is...maybe another repair???)

I'll do this trip again, but hope the owner will give the cabooses a good hard cleaning, some varnish to the fading wood and repair the rotting windows on the outside.

It would be nice to have an extra kitchen towel and dishcloth there in case it is needed. All in all it was still fun and we'd go back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Travelinganjlofmrc
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

My husband took me for a birthday trip for the first time in twenty years. The weather was beautiful and caboose #102 was just what I needed for some downtime. It was quiet, peaceful, and relaxing. Just a few minutes from town and some great shopping experiences. We have been coming to Eureka Springs for the past fifteen years and this was one of the most beautiful times we have come. The caboose was comfortable, clean and cozy. A charcoal grill outside, a hot tub, and we had all we needed. Just a few groceries and we were set. The bathroom was roomy enough considering it it a restored caboose. Extra towels were provided. Bring your own shampoo and soap, body wash, etc. I loved the cupola. My husband sat up there and birdwatched. The train literature and books were awesome. A tv/dvd player was fine (although it was in an awkward place), but we weren't there to watch television. The queen bed was comfy and the heat and air worked fine. A very pleasant stay. Not difficult to find if you follow the directions.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TexasChicobaby
kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2009

We found the caboose we stayed in to be rundown and in need of repairs. To name a few things, the hammock was so streched out you could not use it, there was a blown circuit and none of the outdoor lights would work on arrival, the patio umbrella was just thrown behind the caboose and was broken and unuseable, the hot tub would not work for the last half of the stay, there was a pile of debris piled right at the end of the caboose that was an eyesore and we killed bugs and spiders all weekend inside the caboose. Needless to say "Romance on the Rails" it was not!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank escapelady
moosegirl08
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

My Husband and I rode our motorcycles, along with my father and stepmother to Livingston Junction. My father and stepmother stayed in the Depot and my husband and I stayed in caboose 101 for four days. It was the best trip yet! We had a blast! The caboose was so cozy and romantic, clean and majestic, and the depot felt just like home, a quick trip in town and we could get anything we needed food, drinks you name it! The hot tub was a added bonus, a dip before bed and a dip when we woke up and WOW what a way to start the day! This place has it all if your wanting peace, tranquilty and good times with your spouse and family! A ring from the bell to let us know dinner was ready and down the hill went LOL! As a matter of fact that was just three weeks ago and we are already planing another trip there! To good times, great memories and fantastic moments! Thanks to the owners of Livingston Junction!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple