“Lots of Fun!”

Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: "With over 100 exotic cats and other wildlife on display, Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge is one of the largest big cat sanctuaries in the United States. The non-profit USDA licensed refuge, founded in 1992, has grown to become one of the Top 10 attractions in Arkansas and the most popular in Eureka Springs. Lions, cougars, leopards, tigers, and bears are displayed in large natural habitats surrounding the main enclosures and gift shop. Each animal has its own story/history plaque for self-guided tours and over night accommodations are available via the Safari Lodge, RV park, and camping facilities. Guided tours are available from 10am until 4pm (Summer) or 3pm (Winter). The refuge is open year round (except Christmas Day) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.."
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The animals were beautful, and the guides very informative, pleasant and entertaining. A must for all ages.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,798)

Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I had a great visit here. The cats are so beautiful, and it was apparent to us that the staff cared very much about them. I never saw a staff member stand still; they were all busy cleaning, feeding, or maintaining the animals in some way. It is also apparent that this place cares very much not just for the physical needs of these animals, but their psychological needs as well. Most of the animals had such terrible stories of neglect and abuse; it is amazing that they appear as serene and lovely as they do.

I understand that this refuge's need for money is pretty great (I don't think that there would be nearly so many cages and exposed piping if this refuge had all the money it needed). Some of these animals have had considerable medical attention (some of which was rendered for free, depending on the case). Usually, I am overwhelmed by some organizations' requests for money, but I feel that this place appeals to the public in all the right ways. This refuge is very much worth the visit, and its cause is very much worth the money.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

I took the photo shoot while there. I was not disappointed. Well worth the money and plan on going back to do it again. The staff were very informative.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We went to Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge on June 18, 2012. What a wonderful experience we had. The care that is given to the animals by the staff is amazing to see. Seeing the tigers and the Bears play in the water was so fun to see their playful temperment. We took the full walking tour and our guide(the nice girl from Kentucky) answered all our questions with much knowledge and went out of her way to make it exciting for us. Seeing the animals at meal time is something to see. My advice would be to come around 3:30 and the animals are fed at 5:00 and the animals are really interrative then. We will always remember our trip here and suggest Turpentine to others visiting the area. Keep up the good work. What a friendly area to visit!

Rose and Dave

Reviewed June 19, 2012

I really enjoyed this place. I absolutely loved the bear ! Great place to go and see. We stayed the night here. My son got to stay in the tree house and loved it. I recommend visiting this place even if its just for one night.