“Kite Festival DELUXE” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge

Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge
More attraction details
Owner description: "With over 130+ exotic cats and other wildlife on display, Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge is one of the largest big cat sanctuaries in the United States. The non-profit USDA licensed refuge, founded in 1992, has grown to become one of the Top 10 attractions in Arkansas and the most popular in Eureka Springs. Lions, cougars, leopards, tigers, and bears are displayed in large natural habitats surrounding the main compound enclosures and gift shop. Each animal has its own story/history plaque for self-guided tours and over night accommodations are available via the Safari Lodge, RV park, and camping facilities. Guided tours available and popular daily feeding times are 4 p.m. (winter) to 5 p.m. (summer). The refuge is open year round (except Christmas Day) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.."
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
“Kite Festival DELUXE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

We loved the Kite Festival that was held on the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge grounds. Great Turnout, great weather, great time. We WILL be back!

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Most Awesome Place on Earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Visited the refuge during the annual Kite Fest. Wow what an amazing place. I stood 5 feet away from Lions, Tigers and Bears Oh My! 5 PM was the feeding time and man was that an experience. Seeing these wonderful animals eat so much meat gave me a true appreciation of the refuge and the work they do to cate for over 100 Big Cats and other animals, The lodging was great. I could hear the lions roar throughout the night. This is definitely a memory I will never forger. The Kites were abundant and colored the sky. Great week-end!

Lawrence, Kansas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Worth every penny”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Let me start by saying "thank you" to all the staff/volunteers/interns at TCWR. My family & I really enjoyed our visit. I'm guessing that some of the previous reviewers who were disappointed with the concrete pens many of the animals are in do not understand how much money & man/woman-power it takes to develop 459 acres of land into habitat. I'm guessing they didn't take the time to realize that for the first time, TCWR is needing to purchase meat, instead of relying on poultry plants & the cattle industry for donations. With over 115 animals to feed several pounds of meat to on a daily basis, that is certainly costly. I guess it has also escaped some people's attention that animals are still in need of rescue and when a new case comes to light, it seems TCWR is there to the rescue. Thus, adding to their daily operational costs. Reading some of the stories about these animals was absolutely heartbreaking. Many being rescued from starvation, neglect and cages that were no bigger than what a coffin is to you and I. Some are there because people tried to domesticate them (you can't housebreak a bobcat), others have come from other refuges or private owners who can no longer afford them. These beautiful creatures needed a home and TCWR gave it to them. My family & I will be back. We enjoyed listening to their roars as feeding time neared and watching them play with their toys. If you go early, hang on to your receipt & come back just before 5. The cats get feisty in anticipation of dinner time!

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“What auh blast ..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012 via mobile

Hello my name is Angelia, me and my boyfriend was there earlier this month. And we really enjoyed this place we both really love big cats and this was so much fun.. Feeding time is the best. Any & everyone that are big cat fans so go and check this place out we really enjoyed it and look forward to coming back.

scottesmith, Manager at Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Turpentine Creek staff members and interns are pleased you found the refuge a nice place to visit. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with everyone on Trip Advisor.
Jonesboro, Arkansas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Very Interesting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

Loved the big cats. A little pricey for what you get, but its for a good cause.

Visited November 2011
The big cats at the refuge are awesome. If you love big cats, you will love Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge. The price for admission is $15/day. We do offer family memberships for $70 that allow you to return as often as you like. I wish we could charge less, however we just make the expenses as it is. Thanks for commenting on TripAdvisor.