“The best time to go is feeding time around 4:30.”

Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge
More attraction details
Owner description: "With over 100 exotic cats and other wildlife on display, Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge is one of the largest big cat sanctuaries in the United States. The non-profit USDA licensed refuge, founded in 1992, has grown to become one of the Top 10 attractions in Arkansas and the most popular in Eureka Springs. Lions, cougars, leopards, tigers, and bears are displayed in large natural habitats surrounding the main enclosures and gift shop. Each animal has its own story/history plaque for self-guided tours and over night accommodations are available via the Safari Lodge, RV park, and camping facilities. Guided tours are available from 10am until 4pm (Summer) or 3pm (Winter). The refuge is open year round (except Christmas Day) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.."
Reviewed July 20, 2011

My husband and i went around 10:30 am. Not many of the animals were out where we could see them. But they gave everyone a ticket to come back at feeding time around 4:30 in the evening. All the animals were out where we could see them and some of them even showed off a little. It was very enjoyable. The staff and volunteers are very friendly also.

1  Thank icukelley

Reviewed July 11, 2011

Tickets to this refuge are a little pricey, but once we got there I realized it was well worth it. The refuge is in a beautiful location and is easy to find. You can really get up close and personal with the animals and each enclosure has a sign telling that animals story. We took the tour in the morning and while it was enjoyable our guide did not use a mike and it was very difficult to hear what she was saying. I would recommend going in the morning to look around and take the tour (we took the 11 a.m. tour) and then coming back around 4-5 for feeding time. All of the staff were very helpful and full of information. Overall, it was a great experience!

2  Thank barbieisagoddess
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Wonderful thing they are doing. I'm not sure why people think they can domesticate wild animals, but nevertheless, this place takes them in, cares for them and finds them a home. This is a must see if your in the area.

1  Thank Monique S
Reviewed June 25, 2011

These people are my heroes. To watch one of the commercials on TV about abused animals and then to go to a place that takes them from those bad environments and treats them with loving care gives me a great appreciation for the monumental efforts of the staff at Turpentine Creek. I read complaints about the fee but I would gladly pay twice what I paid to enter knowing what good care these beautiful animals are getting. After all, vacation time is not a time for pinching pennies. I can't say enough nice things about this place. Are there negatives? Sure, but show me a place that is PERFECT. Areas that could be improved are wider sidewalks, especially for handicapped using wheelchairs or scooters and more benches. We spent more time here than any other attraction we visited during our vacation.

1  Thank bayoujoe
Reviewed June 22, 2011

The cats were great, there are tons of them, all with a unique story of how they came to the sanctuary. You get to be quite close to them, which is much better than most zoos. Some of the cats are in their smaller, temporary enclosures, which you can get very very close to. There was one cat that sprayed some people, so watch out and be careful! I'd recommend doing the 4:00pm guided tour, and then feeding time is at 5:00pm. The cats are very active right before their feeding, running around and playing. Take your video camera.

2  Thank ErikaRKH