“Amazingly clean, quiet, and I'll be back...”
Review of Lookout Lodge

Lookout Lodge
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Eureka Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed in many places in Eureka Springs over the years and Lookout Lodge is one of the best. Sonja and Robert were very helpful with recommendations and making sure we had all the info we needed. The room was immaculate! I've never seen a cleaner bathroom and the laminate flooring immediately gave you a sense of freshness and cleanliness. The pillows were big, fluffy, and plentiful; the bed was comfortable with a lovely quilt instead of one of those atrocious polyester "hotel/motel" covers. I also loved that all the windows could be opened allowing a nice fall breeze on the warm afternoons. The cleaning staff was also very friendly and we heard very little noise from the other guests. The lodge was right on the trolley lines so we could park our car and just enjoy Eureka. I also liked that the owners are environmentally concerned and provided green products in the rooms and recycling bins for the guests. I highly recommend Lookout Lodge and would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a room directly across from the atrium - it helps block any highway noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Would definitely stay here again. Beds had new comfortable pillowtop mattresses and rooms were kept spotless. Couple who own this establishment are very friendly and helpful when asked for advice about Eureka Springs. There was a large assortment of movies available for you to enjoy since a DVD player was provided in each room and outside seating which was perfect for our game of cards after a long day of walking through the quaint town. There is a forest behind the motel and a hot tub available to soak away your aches and pains after a long day of walking the hills. Almost directly across the street is a family owned restaurant which serves the best catfish, nice and crunchy. Refrigerators were in each room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights with the wife. Easy to find, right off the main road. Check-in was easy - the Swiss couple that run this place is really friendly and man, do they keep the rooms clean. I also like that they have recycling! The room was nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable, the bathroom just a little small, and the shower had an older, basic head with OK water pressure. Continental breakfast is basic, although I like that they had Little Debbie Oatmeal cream pies, not really breakfast food but I like them anyway. A good deal for less than $100/night, and a very good launch pad for the area. Almost 5 stars, almost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a new mattress (serta something....)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was my first visit to Eureka Springs and it was a great one! Lookout lodge was in a good location, next to plenty of restaurants and close to main street- where all the shopping is done. My boyfriend and I didn't plan an itinerary and decided to "wing it" when arriving. Lucky for us our innkeeper Sonja was there to suggest plenty of activities and restaurants worthy of trying.
It rained one of the nights there, which I still enjoyed, but I'm very glad we stayed in a comfty room with cable and wifi, made it easier to enjoy the day. The room was very cute! And right in our price range. Overall I felt lookout was the perfect "feel" of Eureka- very homey!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was a nice hotel, with good decorations, and it was very clean. Also reasonably priced and in a good central location to the area.

I do have two complaints - First, no mini fridge in the room. Not a huge deal, but I was bummed I couldn't keep some cold beers in the room.

The other complaint is that we felt a little like we were unwanted house guests. We drove ten hours to get to Eureka Springs and arrived earlier than we expected, a few hours before check in. We decided to check with the office to see if we could check in early, something we've done before in other places. When I asked the owner, he looked at me like had just insulted his mother or something. He told me that the room wasn't ready, but he didn't smile or appear to be friendly at all. No big deal, we went to eat lunch and then came back to check in.

The other interaction i had with the other owner, a woman, was a little worse. In the morning I was playing with my two young boys (3 and 1) in the atrium area while my wife was getting ready. My son got a small plastic cup of orange juice from the continental breakfast. He drank it, then he smashed the cup up while he was playing with it. I was chasing after my 1 year old when my other son threw the plastic cup on the ground. I'm not the type of person that would leave trash around, but before I could correct my son about the plastic cup, the female owner noticed it and chastized him and told him to put it in the trash can. She was kind of rude about it, and even when I apologized she didn't even look at me. Its common courtesy in this country to acknowledge someone when they are talking to you. I probably had two or three other interactions with this woman and she never smiled once. I got the impression that she was either angry, didn't like her job, or didn't want us there. Robert certainly warmed up a little bit when I was trying to make some movie selections, but all our interactions with both owners seemed awkward, forced, and just did not make us feel welcome.

Oh, and they'll also threaten you left and right in their literature about breaking stuff and paying for it, and also threaten you about stealing their stuff. Kind of insulting and added to the unwanted house guest vibe. We're hotel guests, not wreckless thieves.

In the grand scheme of things these are fairly minor complaints I suppose. But if we ever go back to Eureka Springs, we'll look for a place with friendlier service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kris S
sonrob_es, Owner at Lookout Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

We appreciate your feedback and sorry that you were not completely pleased with your stay.

For every story there are two sides of it. It is always not understandable for us, why guests are disappointed not to be able to check in several hours before the regular check in time, which is actually 3pm. There is a certain reason to have 3pm set. Everybody expects a clean room, so then give us the time to clean it and usually we have several rooms to clean each and any day. If you arrive many hours before the time you have said when made the reservation and did not called ahead to check for an earlier check in, please don't complain! At the Lookout Lodge, we, the owners clean our rooms most of the time, because we like to make sure, that our guests get the cleaniest rooms in town and that's what they do! This work is exhausting and if we are not always smiling, please excuse us - we are only humans and not robots!

We guess, every parent knows, that it is not easy to control kids all the time and we understand that. But if your child makes a mess, we really appreciate, if you help us cleaning after it, because we have enough work keeping our place clean. In this situation, the guest didn't showed any intention to clean up after his child, and that's why Sonja, not just "a" wife - she's one of the owners, called the boy up to pick up after him in a friendly way. If that is rude, then we really failed beeing friendly and we do appologize.

It is common sense in the whole world, that if you break stuff or steal it, you have to pay for the damage and this is, what we are pointing out in our Guest Service Directory. We have decided not to bold everything down to let you feel like you would be at home, but as a business owner, we have to set some rules in case, something happens. And this is not a threat, it is just a common rule you will find in any public place around the world. Once again, we know, we can't please everybody's desires, but we work very hard every day to make our guests feeling happy while visiting Eureka Springs.

We invite Kris and his family to join us again on his next visit to historic Eureka Springs so that we may have the opportunity to serve and meet his expectations. We look forward to this opportunity.

Robert and Sonja Schmid
Owners

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Basic amenities in very nicely decorated rooms. Cleanest motel room ever! We stayed 3 nights. Owners bent over backwards to make sure we felt welcome, suggesting restaurants and activities, all of which were spot-on. Three resident kitties provided evening entertainment in the unique outdoor common area. Complimentary DVD movie library was a nice touch. On the flip side, room did not have iron/ironing board or alarm clock. Continental breakfast offerings -- packaged muffins, cereal, OJ, coffee -- were very modest. Bright lighting gave the parking area a sense of security but kept our room brighter at night than we would have liked. A shower valve problem our first morning there was fixed very promptly. Overall, a quite pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Each room is pictured on the website and are exactly as they appear. We chose a main level king to a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was part of a motorcycle group of 3 families not knowing what to expect as we had never spent time in Eureka Springs. As we pulled up, Robert met us outside in the parking lot and walked us to the office, giving us the lay of the land. He explained the manner in which the city's trolley system worked and gave us a "handout" showing the different routes and stops. The trolley stop into the center of town, is directly across the street. We checked into a King Room with a jacuzzi, which was nice after a long days ride. The room itself was very clean, the bed was comfortable and the interior was decorated to match the rustic theme of the lodge. My wife loved the wooden handmade lanterns on the nightstands. They also have a nice covered area in front for groups to mingle (with tables and chairs) safe from the weather. During our stay we found Robert and Sonja to be engaging hosts & extremely helpful with any question that we had. We simply hated to leave and cant wait til our next trip from Houston to Eureka Springs. We will definitely be planning to stay at Lookout Lodge on our return stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends