“How is a buffet romantic?” 2 of 5 bubbles

1886 Steakhouse
Ranked #75 of 129 Restaurants in Eureka Springs
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, Arkansas
“How is a buffet romantic?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

My fiance and I drove 2.5 hours to Eureka Springs specifically for a romantic valentine's day dinner at the Crescent Hotel and to check it out as a possible wedding/reception location. When we arrived we were promptly seated and two glasses of champagne appeared in moments (although I don't drink). No one arrived with menus. After a few minutes someone told us we could start on the buffet whenever we wanted. Somewhat bewildered, we stayed and ate. Of the food I consumed - the lettuce was dry/wilted, oyster shooter - couldn't taste the oyster over the sauce, prime rib was over cooked and I was given a tiny portion, zucchini mix was okay. Worst part was actually the shrimp. We aren't that far from the Gulf, and the shrimp tasted old. Thin white chocolate tinted pink fondue and red velvet cake that was flavorless. The chocolate cheesecake was alright but not good.

At the end of the meal, I was shocked that they were charging $140.86 after tax. The food wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't worth that much. From a female perspective, I wasn't wearing the kind of shoes to make walking across a dining room 4 times enjoyable. Having to serve ourselves also broke any romantic mood. I feel like we were taken advantage of. If we had been informed it was a buffet when making reservations, we never would have gone there. Perhaps I was wrong to think there would be a menu at a restaurant? I saw several groups near us who were also surprised by the buffet. Some walked out. To conclude, I won't eat here again and definitely wouldn't have my wedding or reception here. I also have changed my mind about recommending the hotel as a place for our guests to stay at. If they take this level of care with what should be a special evening, what is it like the rest of the time?

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SaramGriffith

Defiance, Missouri
“Not a Great Buffet - Dissapointment in a Classic Steakhouse”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Attended the Valentines day buffet dinner. Well, the salad station only had a bowl of greens, some shredded carrots and some croutons? The shrimp station had only shrimp, the desert staiton had no chocolate fountain as advertised, a minty flavored pink pot to dip in. The pork tenderloin was very good, as was the prime rib, the potatoes in the baked potatoes were very crisp and stiff. When inquiring about the larger wine list the staff was not enthusiastic about getting us the wine list to what used to be a wine spectator wine cellar, and that you can see behind the bar! After several attempts including one where the whit clad hostess sat down with wine list in hand to visit with a couple at the table next to ours, forcing the bar tender to retrieve the wine list we achieved access to a decent Penfolds. Overall a tremendous change in the ability of the staff to serve and to maintain some semblance of ability to run this venue. I amd sorry to say I dont think we will be back.

Visited February 2014
tulsa
“Not worth the money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I just ate here and the food was flavorless and the restaurant itself freezing cold. Not one person in the place took their coats off. I ordered the filet mignon and it was over cooked and barely had any flavor. Same with the vegetables that came with it. The bed of potatoes tasted as if they came from a box. I had high hopes for this restaurant and was extremely disappointed.

Amarillo, Texas
“Good steak and warm atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Its not too hokey but it does feel like one is going back in time a bit. The food was great even though it seemed a bit pricey to me. The wait staff is just right, they don't fawn over you, just casually serve your needs. Its fun but quiet and refined dining. I recommend it if you like a good basic American meal.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Eureka Springs, Arkansas, United States
“WOW!! Lived up to all our expectations for our 16th Anniversary celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Okay, this is one of those kind of experiences you have to know what you are getting in to. The 1886 Steakhouse experience is an extremely nice sit down affair with multiple courses. We took part in the Couples Celebration ($125) for our anniversary meal and neither of us could find anything wrong. Our server TRAVIS was fantastic. He demonstrated good knowledge and was very personable. He took good care of us in every way possible. We have some pretty high standards, too, as we dine in fine establishments like this several times a year. The courses were nothing short of incredible and the quality of the food was first rate all the way! I am including several pictures from the meal below.

• Visited November 2013