“A unique selection of books”
Review of Gazebo Books

Gazebo Books
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A unique selection of books”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We have been visiting Gazebo Books for years. The lady who runs the store has certain views regarding politics and decorum which apparently do not sit well with a number of reviewers. Yes, she is a liberal. Yes, she expects people to act in a civil manner while inside the store, which would include not slurping on oversized drinks, not using cell phones to check out the Amazon prices for her merchandise -- in short, behaving decently. I have never visited this store without finding at least two books that I could not have found anywhere else. Browsing in a locally-owned bookstore may someday be considered a pleasure from a bygone era -- the owner of this shop is doing everything in her power to stave off extinction. Stay away if you don't agree with the sensibility you find here, but (dare I say it?) don't criticize what you can't understand.

Visited October 2012
6 Thank John K

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Absolutely rude !”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

One rude lady was the staff. Would never go back. When I tried to open the door it wod not open. She opens the door and says I should have known it opens to the in side. Not a big deal, except that I had tried that to. Mobile phone call from group of travelers I was with. When I tried to tell the the location she comes up and says I have to take the call outside.

Now if I hass been yapping away in a conversation that would be one thing but I was quietly trying to give directions to others on how to get there.

I ddi not see anything interesting about the place that could not be found in any other used book shop in NW Arkansas. Bland selection and rude keepers.

9 Thank Pbunwithuan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Very hateful woman”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The woman running this store is extremely hateful. Cussing visjtors in the street walking by for no obvious reason. It was also extremely upsetting to see our American flag disrespected in her store. I will never shop here again. There are plenty of bookstores to spend my money in where my business is appreciated.

14 Thank jojoverk
Rogers, Arkansas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“One of the best shops in Eureka Springs”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Nice, old-fashioned bookstore atmosphere, nice selection of books and an intelligent owner make Gazebo Books a worthwhile visit in Eureka Springs. I go in every chance I get and I have NEVER had a less than good experience.

Visited September 2012
9 Thank Bicycle_Atelier
Monett, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Pleasant Afternoon Ruined”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This afternoon I visited Eureka Springs solely to visit this bookstore. When we made it to the store I had a drink that was almost finished. Shortly after entering the shop, the lady running it rudely told me to leave my drink on the counter. I thought that was fair as it was posted no food or drink. As I was looking at a book, I noted a website in the back of the book where teachers could get free resources. I got out my phone to make a note and the lady told me, again rudely, that using cell phones was not allowed. This was posted as well, but I assumed speaking on the phone was what was frowned upon. When I put it away and got out a pen and paper she told me THAT was not allowed. When I explained it was a website to free resources for teachers, she said I should buy the book. All of this took place in less than 5 minutes in front of a couple she'd been speaking to. At this point I was so upset I had to go into the other room.

I love to browse bookstores and am happy to purchase from boutiques. I'm not one to write down a book and buy it later. Rather I'll buy the book when I'm looking at it because I can have it now. Today I was so embarrassed and frustrated by this lady's behavior that I left promptly and purchased nothing. She definitely lost a sale from myself and my mother-in-law.

All of my other experiences in Eureka Springs have been amazing. Every shopkeeper that I have meet has been kind, courteous, and very helpful - except this one. I will be back to visit this fabulous town, but not this business. And I will warn everyone I know. I only wish I would have read these reviews beforehand!

Visited September 2012