“Remembering My Stay Everyday”
Review of Chateau de Messey

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ozenay
Chateau de Messey
Ranked #1 of 2 Ozenay B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in June, and I regret not writing this review sooner. I think of my stay at Chateau de Messey everyday (and since then, I have been to Paris, the Bahamas and Italy)..so that is saying something! As you'll read the grounds are wonderful, however what made our trip so unforgettable was the lovely and sincere nature of our host Markus (unfortunately we were unable to meet with his wife as I understand she is quite delightful as well). Markus was extremely attentive and was concerned with making sure we were "happy." He is a FANTASTIC cook and was a pleasure to have hosting our dinner. The other guests were quite entertaining dinner guests and we had a wonderful evening.
After dinner we ordered a bottle of wine and strolled around the fields enjoying the breezy warm weather by moonlight. When Markus saw us in the courtyard he was kind enough to offer a candle and asked if we wanted anything else...it was well past midnight and he certainly could have pretended he didn't see us to not be bothered!
It may sound strange, but both my husband and I felt very comfortable and connected to this family...even though we barely knew them. There is a genuine warmth that is seldom seen and that we had never encountered. I think of Markus and his family daily and hold my memories of my stay very close to my heart.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tami L

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The property is located is a rural area, which makes it a very peaceful and tranquil place. It is a welcoming place especially after having driven on the motorway for several hours. We had a room in the upstairs of the main house. The room was large and well furnished. Everything was clean and well maintained. It was wonderful to have a glass of wine by the nearby streaming and watch the cows graze in the field across the valley. The hosts were very friendly and knowledge of things to do in the area.
The dinner was superb. You dine with everyone around one table, which turned out to be a wonderful experience. We met some very fun and interesting people and had great time discussing everything from the wine to world events. The dinner included a few of the local wines. I recommend this property but suggest staying a couple of days to explore the local area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jes22
Reviewed May 15, 2012

This is the fifth time I have stayed at Chateau de Messey and I love it! Delphine and Markus are wonderfully welcoming hosts; Markus is an excellent cook and Delphine is very charming and warm. The setting is just perfect, the rooms overlook a pond complete with ducks and watervoles and fields full of contented Charolais cows. It one of the most peaceful places I have ever stayed. It is close to a number of very interesting places; Brancion, Tournous, Cormatin etc and it makes a perfect base for exploring this beautiful part of southern Burgundy- I always take my walking groups here and no-one has ever been disappointed. We finished this last visit with an impromptu outdoor lunch, sitting outdoors drinking rosé from the estate and eating locally produced goat's cheese- heaven! This is one of my favourite Bed and Breakfasts in France.

Room Tip: If you would like to be independent ask for one of the self-catering apartments.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Piccolowalks
Reviewed December 14, 2011

My husband and I have stayed here several times and never disappointed. Delphine and Markus are wonderful and very helpful. The wine and dinners prepared were excellent. We were last here in September and just enjoyed the country side and walks on the property. We discovered a beautiful pottery shop and a fromagerie just a few miles away. This may be our favorite place to be - so we will return!

Room Tip: We love the room that looks out to the pond.....so peaceful!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pchaivre
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Delphine is indeed a charming and helpful host and our room was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom however was rather cramped with a poor shower - a tall man would have a lot of trouble showering here! The breakfast was good and it was nice to be able to sit outside in the courtyard to eat. We spent most of our time travelling and visited Lyon, Roanne and the Beaujolais region. For this reason, we probably should have stayed nearer to Lyon instead of so far north.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank josephine2
Reviewed October 23, 2011

In the heart of Burgundy/ Bourgogne
If you want to experience a stay in a real country chateau, Chateau Messey is a lovely warm environment created by the owners – Delphine and Markus Schaeffer. They provide very personalized attention. Do have dinner cooked by Markus as often as you can. Delphine was a great source for exploring the area. We had 5 wonderful nights here, using it as a base to explore the wine areas around us – Pouilly Fuisse, Pommard, Mersault, Puligny Montrachet, etc. MUST SEES – Chateau de Pommard, the chateau and gardens at Cormatin, the Monday market at Louhans, and for a great view,do walk up La Roche near Pouilly Fuisse. They speak French of course, and perfect English and German.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank frequenttraveler268
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Nestled in the rolling hills, the vistas are never-ending. Imagine yourself living hundreds of years ago in a large chateau with a stream flowing by, and Rapunzel's tower, huge plane trees, ancient rock tables, gardens, sheep and cattle completing the scene. This is the perfect place to explore many interesting villages, markets, churches and historical chateaux in the area. Delphine and Markus are delightful hosts. The breakfasts are wonderful,,,a large buffet of fresh farm eggs, fruits, homemade yogourt etc. The rooms are massive with plenty of seating room. The evening dinners were delicious (not served every night) and the Chateau's own wines great....especially the Cremant (champagne)! Delphine will help you plan your days.

• Stayed: October 2011

Been to Chateau de Messey? Share your experiences!