“Brilliant Local Food”

Hotel Fouillade
Hotel Fouillade
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Argentat
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have been going to this resturant since I was a baby and it has to be the best place to eat in Argentat. I love that you can have a brilliant 5 course meal for 25 - 30 euros and the house wine is only 7 euros a litre. Everytime I go to Argentat we visit and we even had our wedding reception here!! Its a family run place and just cant rate it enough. They have outdoor dining which is lovely. If its on the menu try the moule farcis or the noix de veau both stunning obviously only if you like mussels or veal :-) Enjoy

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank char-n-rob
There are newer reviews for Hotel Fouillade

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The menu has preserved the Fouillade tradition (I have been eating there for over 40 years), and the food is still excellent.
However, the owner's wife hostess is just unpleasant, preserving a French tradition one would have thought long gone. And the service was passable at best, with our waiter having neither idea nor care of what was on the menu.
The restaurant has a lot of charm,although one would prefer when eating at the terrace. But, alas, that complaint is valid for all restaurants in France.
Highly recommended. Try local dishes (confit de canard, pommes de terre Fouillade, cèpes and girolles in season, flognarde, to name a few). Note this is not "cuisine minceur".

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Located in the centre of Argentat and seemed well frequented by both locals and tourist. We booked a table for four and although the service was slow and could be better, the food was very good and relatively inexpensive.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We eat at the Foulliade at couple of time a year when in the area for holidays and have always found the food to be good quality and very reasonably priced. They offer a fairly extensive menu from simple steak frites or confit de canard to more traditional offerings such as braised veal sweetbreads or tiny snails with cream in a puff pastry case.
On our latest excursion to the Foulliade I opted for the Menu Degustation ( €36 ) which offered several courses ( sorry , I lost count ) with some fantastic suprises such as lobster and scallops in a light creamy sauce with a wonderful buttery pastry lid for my fish course. my main was pan fried veal sweetbreads with a big pan of the amaaazing " Pomme Foulliade "
A fantastic meal and excellent value considering the quality of ingredients and craftsmanship that had gone into it.
The only negative I can offer of the meal is a sadly frequent gripe at the Foulliade - the service !
The female maitre'd was as always polite and helpful the " other " waitress is another story altogether , sadly she is a regular in the summer season and is without exception the rudest server we have ever experienced. She made no eye contact , conversed with others whilst trying to serve us, tried to disagree with us about what was included on the menu ( even though we had a copy in our hands ) and practically threw our food on the table with every course. We where not alone in this as she seems to treat all the customers with the same contempt.
It is a real shame that the management tolerate this type of thing as this really damages their excellent reputation - if my French was better I would have actually complained at the time. Sadly we will ultimately vote with our feet and eat elsewhere in future.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2011

The Fouillade is THE centre of life in Argentat. For over a century, it is where locals gather for a drink after the market, to eat together and put the world to rights.

When we first moved to France 22 years ago, we always enjoyed our meals there very much, even if Roger Fouillade had his weaknesses as a chef. When his son and daughter-in-law took over, I'm afraid the cuisine and welcome passed through a weaker patch. However, in recent years, things got much better again, and I'd say that it is now more than worthy of its historical position in Argentat.

Three of us ate lunch there today and enjoyed it very much indeed. We all ordered the €25 menu. There was a choice of 5 starters, but we all chose avocados in a fan with a Marie-Rose dressing. This was garnished with a large shrimp (tropical) and was delicious. The sauce was home made, the avocado perfectly ripe and the cold shrimp perfectly cooked.

This was followed by a hot entrée. There was a choice of 5 or so of these too. Two of us had the "feuilletée de petit gris, sauce aux girolles" (a snail fricasse in a sauce with wild chanterelle mushrooms, sandwiched in a wonderful pillow of puff pastry) and my wife chose Trout meuniere. Both dishes were very good. Our mushroom sauce was perhaps marginally underseasoned for my taste, but the flavour of the snails came through very well as did the wild mushrooms. The pastry was very good too. My wife's trout was huge and would have done her as a main course. It was perfectly cooked.

Next came our main dishes (7 or so on offer). Here we all chose differently. Our neighbour had two large lamb chops, I had a slab of grilled red deer and my wife some grilled faux-filet of beef aux echalotes (sirloin with shallots). These were all garnished with a grilled half tomato with a topping of garlic and breadcrumbs (a not very enthusiastic gesture towards vegetables) and we were brought a large dish of "Fouillade potatoes" which were deliciously crunchy sliced sauté spuds.

My venison steak was cooked perfectly and was delicious. The plate was dressed with a gesture of a teaspoonful of a cooked indeterminate red fruit (possibly cranberries) and a cold (but cooked) horn of plenty mushroom (just the one) as well as the half tomato.

Our neighbour's lamb chops were perfect. Apart from the tomato they were plated without any garnish - which was also true for my wife's steak. That was something of a disappointment. The meat was tender, cooked blue, exactly as requested, but was slightly lightly flavoured. Another week's hanging perhaps? While I have commented unfavourably on the side garnish, it has to be said that our neighbour cut her tomato in half to give us each a piece, which is a perfect reflection of the attitude of local people towards vegetables in general. Michel Fouillade doesn't want to waste his time making elaborate vegetable garnishes which will be treated with haughty disdain. So although my wife and I might have preferred more, I am not really blaming him for not serving it. There were lashings of potatoes.

With the size of the previous three portions, my wife lost courage and refused a dessert from our choice of 6 different possibilities, our neighbour ordered a passion fruit sorbet, which the waitress thought was not there, but which they found for her nevertheless. I had a "nougat glacé au coulis de fruit rouge". This is a kind of ice cream, in the form of a squat cylinder, rolled in chopped roasted hazelnuts, and surrounded by a raspberry puree. Delicious. The decoration was half a mint leaf and two raspberries. I say this not to criticise, because I don't share the view that a plate of food in a restaurant should arrive looking as it it had been painted by Braque, but to prevent others being disappointed.

To drink, we had a perfectly pleasant bottle of a 2006 red Bordeaux, Ch de Ricaud.

Service was friendly as was the welcome by the family. Much improved. As Charlie B said, the service wasn't very rapid. but as we were chattering away like magpies, the time passed almost without our noticing.

Overall therefore, we were happy with the meal and the service. The dining room was typical of a bourgeois hotel in a "old France" attractive but a bit old fashioned. I've eaten a LOT less well in places with much greater pretension and higher prices. We'd gladly go back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank IaninFrance
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Been a while since we stayed here, but we do remember it as one of the more enjoyable hotels we've stayed in, and we keep talking of returning. Family room, clean and functional. We ate at the restaurant, under a big tree, and while the service wasn't the fastest ever, the food was good. Slightly cheaper than the Ibis we were at the night before, and bags more character. If you're thinking of staying here, I say "go ahead".

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have stayed in this hotel on and off for the past 15 years. The restaurant is excellent for value and quality. Euro14 for a good 3-course meal - and the menu changes every night. The rooms are basic but clean and the welcome is friendly.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank antoreilly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Argentat
Le Sablier du Temps
#1 of 4 in Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne
Le Beaulieu
Le Beaulieu
#4 of 4 in Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne

Been to Hotel Fouillade? Share your experiences!