See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 13, 2017

Hello Friends! It excites me to even think about Finaland. If there is a country on Earth which is magical , it is Finland. Fin are very intellectual people and I have been lucky to have now couple of good friends from Finland. Some of them from Lapland , where there is a house of Santa Clause.

I stayed in Sparre hotel recently.It is quiet and warm form inside.Sparre is sober,neat and clean hotel run by university professionals,all girls. Hotel is situated in proximity of major banks,shops and museums. Make sure you wake up early morning and take a sunrise breakfast. I mean the whole Northern Hemisphere will be visible form the glass window of the Sparre hotel and it will look like something created by computers.Friendly staff and good Fin food you can eat. I mostly prefer to eat sand-witches and fruits.It is a budget hotel so the rooms are small but worth if one has to stay for couple of days. It has a superstore underneath so I usually also used to eat outside. Lots of pubs and restaurants are there in that area. You can do lot of site seeing around the hotel. Its in the lap of nature. Go and breath the real world god created for humans. Please remember that when you go out you will have to carry your keys with you as after 10 the doors closes form outside and no one can help you to the access inside. Even if u enter with someones help than the access to your floor via lift is only possible with room keys. If you miss it somehow than someone has to call the number on the display to help you get in the hotel. If you loose the keys it is expensive. Enjoy your stay.

Thanks!!

Room tip: All rooms are warm and quiet. No choice, go for it.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed May 11, 2017 via mobile

I don't like leaving negative reviews. And there's nothing really wrong with this hotel but it is very average.

The rooms with in need of refurbishment, however perfectly clean and well presented . The bed really wasn't particularly comfortable but I had a good nights sleep. The pillows were flat and cheap .

The reception is hardly ever manned. But this really isn't a big problem for a hotel in this budget.

No facility to provide ice when requested and even when we bought ice from the supermarket they didn't have an ice bucket for us to use.

There is a bar in the hotel, and although we never visited, it does not look like it is particularly well stocked, I presume you could get a glass of wine and a beer but doubt they have a good mixture of spirits.

There is very limited parking in the basement and on the first day had to park about half a mile away in public parking and walk back to the hotel in a snowstorm . There is a €10 charge if you can manage to get into the parking bay.

Breakfast was reasonable and typical Scandinavian continental

The shower ran hot and cold, but the pressure was excellent.

Would I stay there again? yes probably however I would look around for alternatives first. We stayed for two nights and this was fine, however I think the longest they would have found many of the points mentioned above become incredibly irritating.

There was just nothing outstanding about hotel Sparre, find for an overnight stay but pretty dull overall.

One thing which is certainly a redeeming feature is it is in a central location for shops restaurants and also the iconic Porvoo Old town which is featured in another of my reviews.

Date of stay: May 2017
Reviewed December 2, 2016

This hotel on the 3 rd floor near a shopping centre In my room there was no minibar The room was descent but nothing special. Close to restaurants and shopping mall. Breakfast was of good standard. And at this time the wire less inter didn't work was only accessible in the reception area.

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2016

The poor availability of hotels in Porvoo led me to this place while joyning a friends wedding. The hotel has seen better days and would need a facelift but as long as it is clean and tidy I'm fine. And that's what it was. Not a luxourius hotel nor breakfast but what can you expect from the place? All in all an okay choice for a shorter stay.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2016 via mobile

This hotel may be old and in need of a face lift, but it was very clean, quiet and comfortable! Very good location, and good value for money paid. Breakfast was very good, and staff was pleasant. It was so quiet we thought we were the only ones staying there, but did see other guests at breakfast, so we obviously weren't the only ones. Parking was a little inconvenient and stinky as it was underground where the garbage dumpsters are, but I would still stay here again if I visit Porvoo!

Date of stay: September 2016