“Slow food”

Ravintola Pirate
Ranked #24 of 25 Restaurants in Hanko
Cuisines: European
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Kerava, Finland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Slow food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

If you are even remotely in a hurry, don't eat here! The service was extremely slow and food was only average.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Odeliinu67

• Finnish first
Helsinki, Finland
“Really slow service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Food taste is average. Service is really really super slow. Waiting for service and food took a long time.

• Visited June 2013
Helsinki, Finland
“A dozen good meals during summer 2012”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

My review is based on at least a dozen meals in this restaurant in june, july and august 2012, and luckily I can completely disagree with the somewhat tasteless reviews below.
I call myself a foodie, and this was my favorite place to eat this summer.

The place had excellent salads (loved the fresh but fulfilling salads with big chunks of fish, shrimp, chicken, eggs etc.), good, juicy stakes, and great hamburger dishes (and I'm usually not a fan of hamburgers). My partner and three of our guests had the one and only wok-dish on two separate occasions this summer, and it was delicious.

What I did not try -and therefore can't comment on- were the fish dishes and pizza.

We appreciate a well prepared meal. Seems like we were lucky all summer long since we did not get one bad dish. Or, the reviewers below were just very unlucky. I expected to read praise for this restaurant.

(Restaurant Pirate has a realistic price level, which can not be said about it's neighboring restaurants. They are good, yes, but they are over priced. )

Perth, Australia
“If you enjoy food poisoning, living dangerously, and throwing money away like a pirate, then this is the place for you!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I like to live dangerously, like a true Pirate. If you want the true pirate experience, enrich your life with a serving of scurvy and salmonella.

I love the way they cook chicken, fish and beef on the same skillet. The lack of skill the 12 year old chef applies to his trade is unsurpassed. It's a great relief to see that unskilled slave labour is still alive and well, and it looks to be making a come back!

The servings of undercooked beef, garnished with uncooked chicken run-off is a sensation for the palate and should not be missed, if you, like me, enjoy being the King of the Porcelain Throne for several hours after dining there.

The staff there are very much like unforgiving pirates, carefree and unapologetic. A solid complaint from you will brighten their day and make your time on the throne that much more pleasant, as you reminisce about your dining experience there, all the while forgetting your woes as you squirt the sweet brown pieces of eight into the porcelain treasure chest.

Upon enquiring as to which dishes are recommended there, our lovely wench hostess, pretty soul that she be, in fact told us that all of the dishes were highly sought after booty, fit for the mightiest of sea faring pirates. She did not lie, for each dish that arrived in front of us had the effect of sailing the high seas while drunk on rum. It was a welcome treat to be shown such honesty, the only non-pirate aspect of the restaurant.

I will never forget the sweet, sweet smell of rotting vegetables that came with the dishes. The aroma of them seemed to suffocate us, like the tender embrace of the hangman's noose at the gallows. It certainly added to the experience, and I am glad to have been shown what death by strangulation would be like.

The lighting inside the restaurant was minimal, adding to the true pirate style lifestyle. It was nice and dark and perfect for smugglers, however in this case the contraband was of the bacterial nature.

On the whole, the visual and aromatic experience offered at the Pirate Restaurant was exactly as you would expect to find on a pirate ship. It was dark and gloomy, and while the ocean was literally just a few metres away, the tiny windows provided no view of it. The aroma of the dishes created there served to enhance the true pirate style, reminiscent of festering wounds and dirty pantaloons.

Speaking of injuries, the price of the food was equivalent to severing your left leg at the hip and being given a toothpick as a peg-leg.

In every way shape and form, this truly is a Pirate Dining Experience!

11 Thank VantasticSFE
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Unedible food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We will never go back there, the food was so bad! Ordered Marsalkka Fish Dish and when the food came it smelled like urine, the hot potato salad was cold and the fish was tastless and not fresh. It was unedible food, never had such bad experience in a restarant. The vegetables (some sort of dry bean salad) smelled like someone had urinated on them, they were definetely off! When we left the restaurant, they were cooking fish & meat on the same bbq plate, surely a recipe for salmonella. I am just so happy, we did not eat our meal. Pity we had to come all the way from Australia to this experience. My advice, do not go there! Also the food was quite expensive.

3 Thank 2012travelsfin