“Great hotel that is value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Llac Negre

Hotel Llac Negre
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Pas de la Casa
Perth, Australia
“Great hotel that is value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have read all the reviews about this hotel & it is very topsy turvy! Some people LOVE it & other people HATE it. I have to say l LOVED it & l will go into the reasons why shortly.

Prior to booking this hotel I checked tripadvisor & this was number 1 in Andorra when l booked it but now it has dropped to number 4. The price of this hotel was a real bonus for me, it was our 2nd holiday as such & I wanted something that was value for money & believe l got it, especially for a ski resort.

Upon getting off the coach at the hotel, l found out who else was stopping there & yep there was a stag party! I thought here we go, long sleepless nights the works! However l thought l would see how it goes & enjoy it.

Once off the coach we dropped us outside the accommodation I & my partner headed in. Pat was there, he quickly checked us in & said as soon as you are sorted come back down & I will open the bar - Happy days!

The room has a double & a single in it, I did pay a little extra but it was worth it & it also had a balcony, it was room 25. There wasn't much storage space in the room so we used the single bed to put the majority of our clothes on, that was one of the downsides, storage wasn't the best. The balcony got the sun until 3pm in the afternoon, the bathroom was spot on with good shower & the room was clean & warm, what more do you want?

The bar is big with free wi-fi, i heard the wi-fi was difficult to connect too, it wasn't, I had it & my girlfriend had it on & not once didn't we connect when we accessed it. The best place to get it is the bar though! Pat will give you the code if you ask him for it. The beer 4-6pm is happy hour 2 euro a pint for a San Miguel that will do for me! It was 3.50 euro's at other times but the happy hour was well worth it after a day skiing. Pat works like a machine & will do anything for you, just ask & he will sort!

The hotel has a lift as well which is a bonus & the dining room is on the second floor. It was big & clean. When we were there there was only 18 of us in the hotel including the stag do of 12 but there was never any problems.

The food was good, the lasagane was the best but Pat gives you a choice of 2 meals for starter, main & dessert each night & they are never the same meal throughout the week. The wine each cheap as well but good, definetely worth getting. The breakfast was continental which was good, everythign you needed but you could pay 5.50 euro's for a full breakfast which is reasonable compared what you pay on the slopes. Pat even does sandwiches for lunch on the slopes, just ask him & he will sort it for you.

Pat could have given more information about breakfast/ dinner times etc but they were on the wall you just have to look.

The rooms were a bit thin & we did hear the stag party come in a couple of times but the majority of the time it was spot on & even on the couple of occassions I did awake I soon dosed off due to be so tired from skiing all day. The stag party provided entertainment & weren't seedy & were nice lads to be honest.

We didn't use the ski lockers in the hotel, as it was about 5 mins walk to the slopes from the hotel, we paid to have the lockers on the slope for 20 euro for the week & you get a free beer every night after skiing - WELL WORTH IT! THIS IS A MUST!

I can see why some people don't rate this place but in my opinion I have stopped in the Threee Valleys, Les Deux Alpes & Lapland & its the best hotel I have stopped in when I have gone skiing for the price. It was half the price of these & still better accommodation!

Unless you are willing to pay over a thousand pounds for a week the accommodation is not going to be top notch, I know this but I didn't go skiing to sit in the hotel & look how nice or terrible it was! I went to SKI!!!!

Will I be going back next year??? - YES is the answer to that! Everyone I spoke to loved it, Andorra is a good place to ski in my opinion & much cheaper than France & such like!

The hotel does have its faults but more positives, it was cheap & worth the money!

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!

Room Tip: Get the top floor rooms, pay a little extra if there is only two of you & get three beds with a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

I've seldom read such extreme reviews of a place but having come back from a weeks Crystal holiday at the Llac Negre I can understand why. I've read that this is the best 2 star hotel in Europe and that it is little better than a hostel. Both of those comments are risible and the truth lies somewhere in between.

To put things in to perspective you are probably not going to get a cheaper half board skiing deal in Europe outwith Bulgaria so expectations should not be too high

So to summarise our experience

The minuses

The rooms clearly have a problem with ventilation. The first room we were offered had a large growth of black mould on one wall. We were a family of 3 and there was hardly room to move round the beds. Pat offered us a room with 3 beds (not because of the mould but because it was free) and this was more spacious. There was however mould in the cupboard and also in the room where our friends were staying. When my wife came back one morning to get clothing one floor was being sprayed with chemicals, I presume to treat the problem

The walls and floors are paper thin and you are very much at the mercy of those that you are with. We had to put up with noisy, extended boorish behaviour from drunk English residents for over an hour on 3 nights at about 3am. Snow clearing machinery beeping gave us 2 more restless nights

The food is extremely basic. Fish and chips consisted of a chippy sized piece of fried fish-it was 80% batter with a small piece of rectangular fish. It was served with 7 limp chips. The carbonara was barely edible.

There is no communal quiet public space.

The pluses

Pat the owner is a real gem. God knows how he copes with a 100 hour week.

The food(yes a plus as well). Breakfast buffet was fine if basic though I was heartily sick of it by the end of the weekend-a fry up will cost you 5.5 euros. If you're looking for fuel for skiing then it will serve you well. They catered for my vegetarian wife much better than most European ski resorts I have been to

The staff are good and eager to please. Rooms are kept clean and the bathrooms are good. Wifi works well in the bar and in the first floor dining room

So if you are going on a budget and are prepared to put up with sleep deprivation then it will be fine for you

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Untoagoodland
lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

I also disagree with previous reviews because our experience of this hotel was positive - even though there was a stag party of over 20 young men and other single sex groups as well as couples - we travelled as a family with a young daughter aged 14. We booked our ski trip to Andorra last year through Igluski and crystal, for the last week of the season and stayed at the LLac Negre. We too had some concerns when we read some of the reviews on this site but decided to give it a go as we read other hotel reviews and this seemed to be the most positive. We were not disapointed by Llacnegre, its location and total value for money - unlike the 4 star we stayed in last year where the room was poky and noisy, food horrible and staff ignorant and unfriendly.
Full marks to Pat and his staff who are fabulous, pleasant and attentive and work really hard to look after all their guests at all times of the day. Our rooms were basic - as ski accomodation usually is - but they were very clean, warm, comfortable and the showers are very good and water always hot; the rooms are roomy in comparison to some ski accomodation we have previously stayed in. The rooms were cleaned and tidied daily throughout the week with towels changed halfway through and you could ask to be left alone if you wished. As with all hotels we have experienced when skiing, the partition walls are thin, although noise levels were not too much of a problem as any problems we had were dealt with efficiently; especially on the one occasion we had rowdy neighbours.

The continental breakfast is enough to put you on until lunch with coffee, tea and juice aplenty; you can order a cooked alternative daily for a nominal charge as you wish - no pre order required. The 2 daily choices of evening meal are good, staple home cooking that is definately welcome and needed after a hard days skiing - although they like you to pre order for this at breakfast, it is only to give an indication of numbers, we changed our mind often without any fuss - the lasagne, sticky tofee pud , fish and chips and all the soups are fab! The drinks are reasonable and in line with the other pubs etc in town with a happy hour too! We often stayed in the hotel instead of going into town and the free WIFI is a bonus with a 14 year old who likes to stay in touch with mates. The house wine is tasty and a steal at 4 euros for a half carafe or 7 for a litre carafe! All in all food and drink is plentiful and tasty and I have stayed in 4 star hotels where the food has been totally inedible and choices very limited with nothing else on offer and drinks extortionate prices - Pat and the staff went out of their way to please and on the one ocassion I did not eat my fish pie (as I hadn't realised it had prawns in and I don't like them) i was offered several alternative options to ensure I did not go hungry. I too did not notice anyone around me leaving uneaten meals and extra bread and bottles of water were brought to the table as often as you wanted without hesitation. We too cleared our plates every night and went to bed happy and content.

The entertainment was a ball and entertainer Barney is a singer/guitarist/comedian! We had a laugh on the nights he played. Yes there was sports on TV but my 14 year old also enjoyed it when Rob the barman began flicking to MTV. Rob also is a ski / board instructor and can offer private lessons at reasonable prices - we had already pre booked groups but will use him when we go again next year as he is highly recommended. It is a nice 5 minute walk to the slopes and we also paid to use the ski locker outside the Mountain Diner where the staff were also friendly and willing to help.

We had a fabulous holiday in Pas Le Casa Andorra and this hotel did its best to make our experience great. We too feel the Llac Negre was good value for money and I would definately recommend it.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as 2 adults and a 14 year old girl

Room Tip: pick the back of the hotel and 4th floor - these are quieter but have no balcony
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

Now we have to say this is more a hostel than a hotel so don't think it's anything else from the reviews that says it should be this and that it's place where there's just beds to sleep and a communal room oh sorry a bar whatever you want to call it , anyway that's the PLACE as for staff in all fairness they try do anything you ask of them poor Pat works like a loons tic up at six probably and still there at the end of the night and Robs good instructor and barnan .. Food is nice in fairness but not to everyone's taste but you get what you paid for and a little extra.
Overall it looks if it's stuck in the 70s or 80s really needs refurbishment BADLY .

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Joe H
Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

This hotel is fantastic for groups of people looking for both the nightlife and the skiing - however, having a young familiy, it was not ideal for us. The hotel carries every noise possible and whenever anyone comes in from their nights out - everything, and I mean everything can be heard! And, as there is no guarantee that there won't be any group bookings, I personally do not think it is worth the risk of numerous sleepless nights.
The positives of this hotel are, however numerous:
Pat and the girls - they were very helpful and incredibly pleasant, and made a real point of trying to make my young daughter welcome.

The food - plentiful and mostly good - and remember, this is a 2 star, so the food is more of a 3 star standard.

The rooms - very basic, but clean and very warm - some nights we actually slept with the balcony door ajar to cool it down a little. Plentiful hot water and a powerful shower - dodgy shower curtain though!

Location - fine, only 5 minutes walk IF you use the lockers available on the piste - a real trek if you lug all the gear up and down the hill!

Overall, this is a good value hotel in a great location for fantastic skiing, more than suitable for groups - NOT families. If you are a family and don't mind sleepless nights, then it may be worth the risk! Book it at your peril!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lynsey H
CATTERICK GARRISON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

We went as a group of 9 and Hotel Llac Negre provided everything we could have wanted in a no-frills hotel and more! I say no frills, so you expect a standard type of accomodation - which is what you get - but additionally the atmosphere and hospitality of Pat and his team running the hotel really was first class. Anything you asked for, be it in the bar, restaurant or general chit-chat was never too much trouble and in fact Pat looks like he's worked that hard looking after holiday makers that he could do with a holiday himself! The meals were v.good and if anything was slightly not to liking the hotel staff were quick to offer assistance. Meal options were continental for breakfast (with a hot b/fast for an additioanl cost) and a chocie of 2 main options for dinner, plus desert.

The Hotel is a short 5 minutes walk to the slopes where the ski lifts immediately wait for you and then your straight on the mountain for a cracking days boarding/skiing. Before we went to Andorra friends had said the mountains were more beginner - immediate boarding/skiing, however Andorra is a top resort for all abilities. Granted Andorra really is v.good for beginner/immediate boarding/skiing, but additioanlly some of the mountain really is fasssssttt and to underline the Women's Downhill World Cup event was being held during our trip.

Nowt to do with the hotel really, but the add on Ski Company evening activities probabally aren't the best for their advertised bar crawls, etc, and I'm sure with your own good company you'd probably have just as good time and save yourself a few dinaries!

Room Tip: Make sure you specify if you would like twin or double!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stopped with as a family with a 7 and 8 year old. It was a last minute bargain. Pat was wonderful as were all his staff, making us feel very welcome as family.
The food was first class and house wine excellent value for money. The bar a welcoming place complete with board games. Rooms are basic but clean, with plenty of hot water. Walls are very thin so I wouldn't risk a non school holiday week with young children.
I wouldn't think twice before booking again.

• Stayed February 2012