“Friendly, clean, great value”
Review of Hotel Cal Ruiz

Hotel Cal Ruiz
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Pas de la Casa
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I really enjoyed my staying at Cal Ruiz.
I don't think you can find a better deal when it comes to value for money.

More details:
- Room: comfortable and spacious
- Stuff: Cool atmosphere and very friendly
- Food: exceeded my expectation as half board was included in the price (so I wasn't expected much). It's a buffet style dinner with a nice variety of dishes
- Location: just opposite the bus station and a 5 minutes' walk to the lifts (if you plan on renting gear I'd recommend to do so at one of the stores next to the lifts)

Again - you always need to set your expectation based on the price. So when it comes to that, it's a great deal and a fun place to stay.

I would definitely recommend and come back myself in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 3, 2013

A group of 6 of us recently stayed for our skiing holiday and it was what I expected from a 3 star hotel and the price. The hotel is very clean and friendly. The rooms are modest but comfortable and well set out and warm. The food was buffett style and was brilliant on some days, average on others but there was a wide choice and probably something for everybody. The period for eating was quite a long time so it is hard to keep food warm but the is a microwave to warm it up. Breakfast was brilliant every day.

It is only a 5 minute walk to slopes so make sure you leave yor ski's in a locker. There is a bar near next to the slopes with a locker to keep skis. You also get a free drink every day at two different bars!! Look out for a singer who does about 3 nights a week, hes really good but make sure you join in!! We had good snow and the whole ski area (not just Pas) was brilliant. Miles of great slopes. We skied from one end to other. I would definately return to the resort and the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Me and my friend went on the 20th January for a week and we had a great time.. yes the hotel is at the bottom of Pas but its not that far away from the slopes 5 min walk.. I would recommend getting a ski locker though as it would be effort to cart skis back down.

Food- as the nightlife in Pas is brill me and my friend only breakfast once or twice but dinner time was fine we had no real problems there, maybe cooler than what we are used to but there is a microwave to heat it uo but I never had to us it.

Rooms - Big, clean but tad basic but at the end of the say its only 3* so we knew it would be basic but was fine for a week. One down point is that you could hear other guests in the corridor or in their rooms sometimes but it didnt effect us.

Staff- Staff were brill, friendly and willing to help and make your stay enjoyable. Nice friendly atmosphere and the rep was their daily.

If i was to go back to Pas then I would book this hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hanwoo90
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just got back from Pas and I stayed at Cal Ruiz. Firstly I was impressed with the food in the buffet for breakfast and dinner - having pre-booked half board I was thinking the quality would be a bit rubbish but it wasn't. A good rotating menu and plenty of options if you don't like something. The bar next door is a good place to relax with a pint after the day.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CDPA
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This will be short, sweet and to the point. The rooms are large and good enough to put your head down for the night. The bathroom is clean and has running hot water. Everyone is friendly enough. It's probably in the worst position out of the hotels but its literally a 5 minute walk from the piste so no biggy. Oh and the food is rank. I wasn't expecting much because of the price we paid and they didn't deliver but it filled a small hole. Overall pretty good value.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I have read the other reviews and was not expecting too much , however this is a 3* Hotel that is not pretending to be anything else,
My room , 203 , is directly above the bar and as such was a tad noisy on the 1st night , but I was so tired from a day on the piste. Yes The Piste, that I fell asleep regardless , the room itself is in the standard modern hotel room format, with 2 twin beds,flat screen tv ,hair dryer , an excellent hand held shower and heating that you can cook eggs on !! But I did ask reception to turn off 1 radiator which they did immediately, well done :-)
The evening meal is typical buffet style and good for a 3* hotel but it could be a little warmer though.
The breakfast is the same format with a good English and continental style selection , again needs to be warmer.
The location is at the bottom of the town and should be a 10- 15 min walk to the lifts, but if you take the Public lift inside McDonalds you can be at the Solana chair lift in 5 mins, that was a great tip from Terry aka Trigger the Crystal Rep, who I have to say is one of the best Rep's that I have ever met (I used to do the same job in the 80's) he is genuinely attentive ,caring and is a real people person without being in your face.
Last year I stayed at the Himalayia Pas , a 4* hotel and that was also excellent
I hope that this review helps all of you thinking of staying here,
Happy Holidays, Chris & James

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank thepackocards
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I'm not one for being negative and I am in NO WAY a fussy eater but the food at this hotel was caked in oil and the vegetables (if there were any) had lost their colour. The chefs went all out for new years eve meal and it was great, however, we were eating the leftovers for dinner 2 days after. Breakfast was uninspiring, everyone resorted to toast as the fried food was swimming in oil.

Our main concern was the heat of the room. The radiators are on full blast in every room (we were talking to a couple of other couples who had the same problem) and were locked into full so you couldn't turn them down. Upon asking for our room to be inspected because we couldn't breath in there a very helpful lady said she'd send someone up to look at it, but nothing changed. We had to sleep with the window open all night, in the middle of winter when it was snowing outside, just to get to sleep. In the end we both ended up having colds as the heat of the room dried our throats out completely.

On a positive note - there was a brilliant barman named Ivan who was fantastic and who celebrated new year with us and our engagement by giving us a bottle of champagne and talking to us for an hour or so. One of the reception staff members ((I don't know her name) was also very kind and she smiled a lot.

To conclude, if you are a lad or lass that wants a cheap holiday and doesn't mind all this then it's a great hotel to stay in. I'm just sorry I can't say more positive things about it.

Room Tip: Ask for a double if you are a couple otherwise you will automatically get a twin.