Casa Colibri(Santa Catarina Palopo)
$23
Villa Santa Catarina(Santa Catarina Palopo)(Great Value!)
$87
$77
  • Pool
Casa Palopo(Santa Catarina Palopo)
$380
$338
Villas Balam Ya(Panajachel)
$143
$139
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $163/night.

Hotel Paradise Inn(Panajachel)
$80
Hotel Playa Linda(Panajachel)
$35
$33
Rancho Grande Inn(Panajachel)
$94
Casa Santa Catarina(Santa Catarina Palopo)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Boutique Casa Pachitiya(Santa Catarina Palopo)
Agoda.com
All reviewstzam pocoverlooks the lakethe hotel staffswimming poolweddingviewsguatemalanature
Reviewed August 4, 2014

After not seeing each other for a week, I decided this hotel would be a great spot for my boyfriend and me to see each other again as a starting point for our quick 8 day trip through Guatemala and Honduras. I was enticed by the though of a sunset view from pool, the pictures of the lake out the door, and the good reviews. I noticed other, negative reviews, but decided I probably wouldn't be impacted. I'm not sure if anyone has written about what I'm writing here, so maybe this will be a new thought for this hotel.

Pros:

- The views are even better than the pictures show, and the gardens are really lovely. I really enjoyed eating our breakfast while looking out over the lake.

- The staff is very friendly, and breakfast was excellent.

- Peaceful, quiet

- Room was enormous and spotlessly clean

The cons:

- When we first arrived, our van couldn't make it up the steep hill to the hotel, so we had to walk with our luggage up a very, very steep hill. After getting to the top of the hill, there were really no signs for the reception, and after 10 minutes of looking for someone, we found the lobby- which was locked, dark, and empty. Finally, someone from a hotel across the street saw us and wen to look for the guy who would check us in. That guy came, finally, and showed us to our room. The lack of staff became a theme for the duration of our stay.

- The pool was freezing cold and the pool chairs around it are horribly dirty. The combination quickly turned my long-anticipated sunset beer in the pool dream to a "blegh. well...why don't we just go watch this thing from town?"

- The hotel is very far from any restaurants for dinner, and the hotel did not serve any food, so we had to make our way to the closest town with a restaurant (Panajachel, which requires a 10 minute walk to the boat, haggling over the price of a boat ride, and a 10 minute boat ride to Panajachel).

- On the way back from Panajachel, we had to take a tuk tuk to the hotel (~6km) along a dark, desolate road that we found particularly scary at 10 pm. Then, when we arrived to the gate- you guessed it - we had to walk up the steep hill by ourselves in the dark.

- In the morning, when we woke up, we wanted to take a boat ride around the lake (not a private one, just a regular one with real people)- so we had to first walk to Santa Catarina Palopo (10 minutes), then take a boat to Panajachel, and then go from there. The secretary wasn't at work yet and the staff was aflutter as we really wanted to get going to see the lake (we had one day), and there was nobody to charge us. We kept getting the "10 minutes" refrain. An hour and a half later, we were able to depart.

- The price was the the final knife in the stomach. After being scared in the dark, hungry, and not having anyone attending to us for most of our stay, as well as having our time taken from us by complete inefficiency, the hotel had the gall to charge us $170 (with tax) for our one night stay. I did know this price when I made the reservation, but when I saw it printed out, after reflecting on just how much I hated our experience, I was just angry. How could this hotel charge SO MUCH compared to all other hotels in the area, and deliver so so little? I honestly could have booked a private room in a hostel and gotten a much, much better value.

In all, this was an extremely disappointing experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank SkiScubaNYC
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Very bad hotel for nights of silence ! Barking excessively ! Constant barking is a nuisance to their guests. it's impossible to sleep with owner's dogs. And this hotel is dirty and the owner is not very accessible.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kate g
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The place is simply gorgeous. The gardens are meticulously taken care of. And the views of the lake underneath are sublime. Its owner, Lucio Mamberto, will do everything he can to make you feel at home. You feel being treated like a personal guest.
This is a place for people who enjoy staying at a place with a personal touch, away from the anonymity and sterility of so many luxury hotels that I have seen all over the World.
We stayed in room number 3, which is a magnificent suite, with a living room and a kitchen, and with gorgeous terraces overlooking the lake.
The hotel has an infinity swimming pool with sweeping views of Lake Atitlan and the 3 volcanoes that surround it, and next to the pool is a jacuzzi which also overlooks the lake.
Since the hotel is high above a hill, the views of the lake underneath are simply sublime. They get particularly spectacular during the early morning hours and during the sunset.
A delicious breakfast is served in a beautiful terrace overlooking the lake, with flowers and hummingbirds all around. Dinner is served on request with an additional (reasonable) fee, and it is really good !!
Being high on a hill overlooking the lake means that the driveway is quite steep and not all cars can make it all the way to the top. But there is a parking spot near the entrance where you can park your car, and the hotel staff will pick you (and your luggage) up in a pick up truck and take you to the hotel. Otherwise, it is a pleasant walk uphill to reach paradise !!!
I have been to Lake Atitlan more than 50 times, and Tzam Poc is by far the best place to stay to appreciate the beauty of the lake.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a terrace overlooking the lake. Ours was number 3 and it had a gorgeous terrace.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rafaelnovielli
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This house/hotel is the kind of place you want to be to have a great view of Atitlan lake, have an excellent service and relax all you want... The owner is such a nice, smart and interesting guy, he and his staff will make you feel like home. Tzam Poc is located in a really high hill, if you are driving be sure your car is 4x4, otherwise it will be difficult to get to the top. I really recommend the breakfast, a lot of delicious fresh fruit, honey, milk, coffee, eggs, beans, cheese and home marmalade... Expect to be delighted by the sunset and sunrise from the terrace or infinity pool!!! Can't wait to be back!!! :)

Room Tip: Reserve room # 3... a mini house room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AxelRene
Reviewed December 30, 2012

gorgeously designed by Italian builder architect Luciano. The gardens are a dream. the pool with the view is even better than the photos. Tucked away in Santa Catarina de Polpolo, views of the lake are superb. Heidi even helped us arrange a lake boating tour. Watch out for the crazy driveway!

Room Tip: love the breakfast and Luciano is wonderful
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family