After not seeing each other for a week, I decided this hotel would be a great spot for my boyfriend and me to see each other again as a starting point for our quick 8 day trip through Guatemala and Honduras. I was enticed by the though of a sunset view from pool, the pictures of the lake out the door, and the good reviews. I noticed other, negative reviews, but decided I probably wouldn't be impacted. I'm not sure if anyone has written about what I'm writing here, so maybe this will be a new thought for this hotel.
- The views are even better than the pictures show, and the gardens are really lovely. I really enjoyed eating our breakfast while looking out over the lake.
- The staff is very friendly, and breakfast was excellent.
- Peaceful, quiet
- Room was enormous and spotlessly clean
- When we first arrived, our van couldn't make it up the steep hill to the hotel, so we had to walk with our luggage up a very, very steep hill. After getting to the top of the hill, there were really no signs for the reception, and after 10 minutes of looking for someone, we found the lobby- which was locked, dark, and empty. Finally, someone from a hotel across the street saw us and wen to look for the guy who would check us in. That guy came, finally, and showed us to our room. The lack of staff became a theme for the duration of our stay.
- The pool was freezing cold and the pool chairs around it are horribly dirty. The combination quickly turned my long-anticipated sunset beer in the pool dream to a "blegh. well...why don't we just go watch this thing from town?"
- The hotel is very far from any restaurants for dinner, and the hotel did not serve any food, so we had to make our way to the closest town with a restaurant (Panajachel, which requires a 10 minute walk to the boat, haggling over the price of a boat ride, and a 10 minute boat ride to Panajachel).
- On the way back from Panajachel, we had to take a tuk tuk to the hotel (~6km) along a dark, desolate road that we found particularly scary at 10 pm. Then, when we arrived to the gate- you guessed it - we had to walk up the steep hill by ourselves in the dark.
- In the morning, when we woke up, we wanted to take a boat ride around the lake (not a private one, just a regular one with real people)- so we had to first walk to Santa Catarina Palopo (10 minutes), then take a boat to Panajachel, and then go from there. The secretary wasn't at work yet and the staff was aflutter as we really wanted to get going to see the lake (we had one day), and there was nobody to charge us. We kept getting the "10 minutes" refrain. An hour and a half later, we were able to depart.
- The price was the the final knife in the stomach. After being scared in the dark, hungry, and not having anyone attending to us for most of our stay, as well as having our time taken from us by complete inefficiency, the hotel had the gall to charge us $170 (with tax) for our one night stay. I did know this price when I made the reservation, but when I saw it printed out, after reflecting on just how much I hated our experience, I was just angry. How could this hotel charge SO MUCH compared to all other hotels in the area, and deliver so so little? I honestly could have booked a private room in a hostel and gotten a much, much better value.
In all, this was an extremely disappointing experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Offering an outdoor pool, Tzampoc Resort is located in Santa Catarina Palopo, right on Atitlan Lake. It features free daily breakfast, plus free Wi-Fi and parking. Each room here boasts bright traditional decor and has a small seating area and a private bathroom. All rooms include stunning views of the lake. At Tzampoc Resort you will find a sauna, jacuzzi and a garden. Restaurants and shops can be found in the neighbouring town of Panajachal, situated 6.5 Km away and accessible by boat. The property can also arrange for a private chef. Guatemala City Centre, where you will find La Aurora International Airport, can be reached in 3 by car. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Tzam Poc Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tzam Poc Hotel Santa Catarina Palopo
- Tzam Poc Resort Guatemala/Santa Catarina Palopo, Lake Atitlan