Casa Palopo
Villa Santa Catarina(Santa Catarina Palopo)(Great Value!)
$129
$97
  • Pool
Tzam Poc Resort(Santa Catarina Palopo)
$189
$35
$33
Rancho Grande Inn(Panajachel)
$95
Hotel Utz Jay(Panajachel)(Great Value!)
$36
Priceline
Hotel Dos Mundos(Panajachel)
$76
$105
$75
Hotel El Chaparral(Panajachel)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslake atitlanrisottomaster suitelarge showerlarge terracesteep drivewaystunning viewsstar servicewatching the sunsetsmall hotelslocal textilesthe main hotelinfinity poolamazing hotelguatemala cityspa servicesdelicious food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 25, 2012

i had my concerns about this place before going as i was worried about a emerging country like this but it totally exceeded my expectations. we were there with our 3 kids and took the epic 2 bedroom hilltop villa. It has a huge disappearing edge pool, outdoor sitting rooms. Loads of covered potchs looking over the lake and 3 fireplaces. Full kitchen and dining room too. Also a heli pad!!!!! Wow..... Only concern is the numerour steps to walk up there from the hotel itself. Breakfast delivered on time and by the butler. Could not have beeen more impressed. Food in the main restaurant was good but not excellent. Staff is very very attentive and always working hard to help!!

Room Tip: go for the villa on the hill
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank tom s
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I had a business meeting here and rented 3 rooms and they were all exceptional! The setting is so peaceful and away from it all. It is a self contained paradise. You are not in town but a short distance out of town high up on the side of the lake. This place is a super romantic getaway and can also double as a great place to have a business meeting(small) with no interruptions while being surrounded by natures beauty. They have a wonderful pool and sun deck. There are NO TV's or CLOCKS in the rooms which turned out to be a wonderful thing! I would not recommend children as it is not set up for them and no TV...well you can only imagine. The resturaunt setting was also magical as was 100% of the meals we ordered.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms! The less expensive rooms are also a real treat!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GPSMike
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Nothing we can criticise about this hotel, except perhaps that it's a long way from Panajachel, or 'Gringotenango' as it is also known. This, on reflection, is probably a good thing. The hotel has all the little details you expect from truly special places, great cosmetics in the bathroom, lots of hot water, attentive staff, even hot water bottles tucked into your bed at night.
The staff a friendly and professional and we ate in the restaurant twice, on both occasions the food was very good.
Best of all is the view across the lake to the volcanoes which changes throughout the day with the light. We definitely want to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6 - marvellous views from the bed, nice little patio to the side
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I stayed at the Casa Palopo in November 2007, and chose this place because, at the time, there was nothing that came close to it in terms of the setting and amenities. What I remember four years later is how happy I felt staying there because of the impressive view and the tranquility. I have stayed at places that give more attention to detail and guests, that are slightly cleaner and better maintained, but I don't recall them with the affection that I would attribute to my stay at Casa Palopo. The Villa has so much character...incredible choice of colors and furnishings. At night I would sit by the warm fireplace and write postcards, and then go out to the terrace with a glass of wine. The view from the terrace at night is just as spectacular...it is pitch black with tiny lights lighting up the villages across the lake. The restaurant on the property had excellent food. For those who don't choose to stay at Casa Palopo and stay in Panajachel instead, go to the restaurant at Palopo for a meal and to take in the view! I still make the Ceviche Tropical that I got from a waiter there...delicious! You can make arrangements at the villa to take a lancha from their dock to Santiago across the lake. Also, if you walk down the driveway to the main road you can catch a pickup truck to Panajachel. This is very cheap and fun sitting in the back of a pickup with the local Indians. In Panajachel I bought some beautiful things at the local market...cheaper than in Antigua. Las Chinitas was a good stop for breakfast. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 7 which may have the best view because it is higher. It was a very comfortable room but at times I could hear the reception desk below and did address the noise once. The bathroom wasn't romantic or warm but definitely functional. I would choose this room again because the view from the bed is the best!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2011

First things first: a disclaimer. I purchased my 3-night stay on Groupon -- a great deal that I hope comes up again, since I'm not sure I could afford to stay here otherwise. This is a lovely, charmingly-appointed gem in a small, isolated pueblo on beautiful Lake Atitlan. I stayed in Junior Suite (#3), which has its own terrace with a stunning view of the lake. In fact, Casa Palopo is filled with jaw-dropping views of the Lake: if you don't like the one in front of you, just move to the living room, or the restaurant's outdoor patio, or the swimming pool area -- they all boast million-dollar views. Everything is meticulously curated here. There is a very large staff-to-guest ratio. Staff are attentive without being smothering. But make no mistake about it: it is pricey -- perhaps not by American standards, but don't come if you're penny-pinching. The sole weakness, in my estimation, is the food, which was pretty unremarkable and once or twice just plain disappointing. I suppose I could have ventured out and looked for other restaurants, but one of the big appeals of Casa Palopo is the fact that it is out-of-the-way from the madness of Panajachel. And the place is so gorgeous I didn't want to leave. There's a nice bar, and the cocktails are first-rate. If you do decide to eat there (and I wouldn't unless you are staying in the hotel), make sure to try the black bean soup and split a bananas foster for dessert. All in all -- in spite of the less than impressive food (a top chef would make this place over-the-top nirvana) -- I hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: The junior suites are stellar
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo