“Beautiful hotel”

Lush Atitlan/Hotel Aaculaax
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The rooms were so beautiful and the location can't be beat. Loved the atmospher and don't forget about breakfast in the morning. Delicous and a great start to the day. San Marcos is a great little town to stay in for your visit to the lake and Hotel Aaculaax can't be beat :)

Room Tip: Granadilla. A great value for a beautiful room. Loved the porch and sitting out there reading in the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlliJae

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I am long overdue on writing a review, but better late than never! I stayed here two different times last spring. AMAZING! I love it. I was "escaping" the bustle of Antigua (where I live), and this was the perfect place. I love the eco-ness of it and all the art. The bed was absolutely comfortable (luxury for me compared to my crappy old mattress in Antigua!)..the sheets were awesome..the towels...everything was great! The included breakfast each morning was fabulous too. I loved the hammocks in the garden area. Perfect for reading a book or taking a nap. Make sure you jump off the deck into the lake, which is near the hotel! So fun! I definitely recommend this place. It's a little pricey compared to other places, but if you compare it to US prices (where I'm from), it's a great deal. Definitely worth the splurge for me once in a while! I went solo those two times, but I am married now and planning to take my husband there :)

Room Tip: Cascada was my favorite room. BEAUTIFUL views in the morning, and if it happens to rain, the water s...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Love at first sight as I quickly relaxed at the hotel. The unique art work featuring recyclables was a hit for me! Everywhere you looked was beautiful - the natural and the man-made. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was small and easily accessible from the boat dock.

Room Tip: Our room was so fun. It was built into the side of the hill, so it featured rocks from the hill! T...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Staying here was a perfect way to end a wonderful visit to Guatemala. We started by volunteering at Safe Passage in Guatemala City which was a very rewarding experience. After that to come to such a peaceful, beautiful setting was a perfect way to end a very memorable and ideal trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 416Maryann
Reviewed June 9, 2013

If you find San Marcos La Laguna you will not want to leave, the place is amazing,

Set amongst narrow pathways, Hotel Aaculaax is hand built from recycled materials by volunteers and artisans. It has a beautiful garden and is built back onto a hillside, so that rooms open out onto panoramic views. The room itself was outstanding with large, clean beds and ensuite shower room with steaming water.

Breakfast is not included but well worth the cost, it's an all you can eat of organic fruits, homemade breads, local jams and honey, homemade granola etc. The best bit is that it is served on a roof terrace in the morning sun, so you can get talking to other guest if you want.

The Manager is wonderful and always asks you how you are and the place is very secure with a security officer on site in the evening who is happy to serve you snacks or drinks from the hotel shop.

The Hotel is situated close to the lake and you can walk up to the 'jumping rocks', hire out kayaks or find yoga classes, Spanish classes, massage parlours, saunas, hiking, barter for local handicrafts and test out mouth watering organic, vegan and vegetarian restaurants.

My girlfriend and I were so happy here that I took the plunge (literally dived into the lake) and resurfaced with a ring to propose and thankfully she said yes :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TomHPhoto
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Aaculaax with my two adult daughters for 3 nights and we absolutely loved our stay there - kind and helpful service, wonderful food, comfortable accommodation and a feast for the eyes!
We were in the Alain and found it to be beautiful, with painted murals, and lovely stained glass windows and light fixtures. The beds were clean, the bedding soft and comfortable and the water was nice and hot for showers. There was a also a lovely seating area outside the room, lush with trees, vines and blossoms - a nice place to relax and read.
I can not begin to do the grounds justice with mere words, but I would compare it to a lovingly maintained botanical garden; spectacular! Each time we returned from our day's adventure we were struck again by the beauty of the surroundings.
The breakfast was delicious, healthy and beautifully presented...the first morning I had to go back for my camera; it was too beautiful to eat without first documenting the experience with a camera!
Upon arrival one of our party was feeling ill. After mentioning it to the owner Lilly, moments later a soothing cup of herbal tea arrived at our room.... So kind, and a perfect remedy for an upset stomach.
Without exception, the owner and staff were helpful and accommodating in every way and made our stay very special.
Not to be missed if you are interested in hiking around the area...I highly recommend using a local guide, Luis, (he has a flyer posted in the office) any staff member will happily call him to book a tour. He is nationally certified, grew up on the lake and is a knowledgeable companion who will create an experience tailored to your interests and physical skills. We spent an afternoon hiking and learning about the history, politics, geology, flora and fauna of the area!
I will definitely return here!

Room Tip: The Alain was great - comfortable, clean, and beautiful! Price was reasonable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Candice E
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We came here on our honeymoon, towards the end of our stay in Guatemala to treat ourselves to the luxury we could imagine exists but are always too cheap to try.

We stayed in the mirador room because of its bathtub, but didn't realize it also boasts a beautiful terrace and kitchen. We didn't want to spend much time outside after we got here, preferring to read on the terrace instead of in the garden.
During the day time, this place is amazing. The bathroom is fully outside, but covered so you won't be hit by rain on the toilet. However, this is nature, and at night there were some resident giant spiders outside that spooked me. But, with the bedroom door safely closed, and under the luxurious bedding, I felt at ease. The room was magnificently placed into the rocky hillside, and it seems an engineering feat that it is as well closed off from the bugs and elements as it is.

• Stayed: May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Marcos La Laguna
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 5 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
#2 of 29 in Panajachel
Jardines del Lago
Jardines del Lago
#6 of 29 in Panajachel

Been to Lush Atitlan/Hotel Aaculaax? Share your experiences!