We've driven down to Guatemala from the USA - 9,000 miles clocked so far over five months - so I think I can write with some authority on the relative merits of hotels en route.
Hotel Paco Real, 100 yards from the lake front, is an absolute gem! From the moment we arrived (no reservation) we were welcomed by Mario, the cook, and then promptly by Frank and Ramon, the owners.
The rate for a large room was exceptionally good, even by Guatemalan standards, and we were so impressed by the overall cleanliness and positive atmosphere that we booked for four days. Today we extended this for another four: we are that happy with our surroundings.
- High speed internet access, just yesterday enhanced with an improved antenna. Offered at no additional charge.
- The restaurant creates delicious meals from 07:00 am to 8:00 pm, or later, with a varied menu of local and international dishes. All well priced, too. They are also very flexible, making meals not even on the menu. Anticipate the fresh bread too.
- Cleanliness. Frank, one of the owners, has imposed Canadian standards of cleanliness and repair to the property. The bathrooms are spotless, as is the restaurant (including, thankfully, the plates and cutlery). What a change!
- Things to do here range from kayaking to horse riding, and much more besides.
But without the owners and staff, what good is the above? In this instance, the owners are always polite and positive. Frank's good nature and interesting conversation make this hotel unique in this journey.
Negatives: honestly, I cannot name one.
If you have any questions, feel feel to contact me. Our blog and contact details may be found at
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- rustic hotel restaurant with tradional construction.50 metres from the lake.good value clean accomadation,with fabulous international menu ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Paco Real Guatemala/San Marcos La Laguna