“live the history from inside”
Review of Newa Chen

Newa Chen
Reviewed November 13, 2011

it is a great traditional building. I wish i had the chance to stay for more days to enjoy it. In the heart of the historical Patan, just 2 minutes from Patan Durbar square you can find a peaceful and relaxed place.
Worth for value....definitely!!!
I' ve been there for my last day in Nepal. If i knew how beautiful it is, i would surely had organized my trip in order to spend more days there, as the city of Patan is only 120 minutes by taxi from Kathmandu Durbar sq.
As i was travelling alone, i chose a single room (with sharing bathroom).
Althougth i didn't had the facility of private bathroom, it wasn't a problem. It was at the floor below and, i had the imression that i am in my place.
Very clean (both room and bathroom), with fresh fruites and mineral water on the table (free of charge).
On the patio of this great place, there is a wonderful garden with a kiosk in wich you can relax by reading a book.
The staff - members of the owner's familly, well educaded and polite, with great english speaking (not as mine :-) ) they are always there to serve you
If i ever visit Nepal again, this will be my base-living place for sure.

Room Tip: "Matsya Yugma" was the room i stayed. Realy cheap,quiet, with a view at the garden. Outsid...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank aetopetritis

Reviewed October 30, 2011

The Newa Chen family were kind enough to let us stay for 2 and a half months whilst working for an NGO in Lalitpur. In this time, we stayed in three of the eight rooms - each was wonderful. Each room varies in size, facilities and price making it a great place for a range of expenditures.

The building offers an amazing insight into traditional Newa wealth whilst acting as a gallery for the work of many modern artists. To compliment the beautiful surroundings, the family like atmosphere is unique. Whilst maintaining the upmost professionalism, the small group of staff are really keen to chat and share their experiences.

Breakfast is great - served between 8 and 9 am. Each day of the week brings a slightly different breakfast; including, fruit, omelettes, roti, kwati (spicy bean soup), toast, tea coffee etc. Sitting outside each moning with this, the traditional architecture and the daily newspaper is the perfect way to start the day!

Thank you so much Newa Chen! A return visit is guaranteed.

Jack and Emma

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jgwilliams91
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We absolutely loved this place. The only downside was that we only managed to stay one night!! The place feels authentic and traditional. It has been loving restored and it is just wonderful to stay somewhere with so much character. Our hosts were friendly and helpful and we enjoyed every minute. There's a wonderful garden area and a place to lounge outside, where we ate breakfast and drank delicious masala tea. Patan itself is also a lovely placed. Beautiful Durbar Square and a much more calm, relaxed vibe that Kathmandu. I would highly recommend Newa Chen!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anokhi10
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed here for almost 3 weeks in total while working for a local NGO. I tried out 3 rooms in that time so got a pretty good feel for the place.
The owners are absolutely lovely and and always happy to help. They provide a top notch breakfast, which generally consists of western and eastern foods so there's always something you'll like and it's freshly cooked!! You can eat it in the beautiful lush courtyard garden on a fine day.
The rooms are very clean and with nice features. They have quite low ceilings, so men might need to stoop sometimes. The bathrooms are pretty good for Kathmandu, though sometimes the water supply is a little variable. The regular powercuts may be annoying if you have a lot of electrical equipment since the generator does not provide as much power and is not run all the time, but for tourists I doubt this will be an issue as you always have a bulb or two working. The beds were very comfy for Nepal, which was a bonus when staying for so long.
The renovated newari building itself is really gorgeous and it's worth it just to stay in this type of historical building!
Location wise, you're right next to Patan's Durbar Square, but far enough so as not to get too annoyed by the day trippers, unless you want to join them. Patan is very quiet at night, but there are a couple of good restaurants within walking distance and the backstreets of Patan are very pleasant to explore. You get stared at less here than in other areas of Kathmandu and also spend less time fending off touts, which is a relief if you have come from Thamel.
Overall I highly recommend staying here to get an authentic taste of Newari life, but in comfort!

Room Tip: Make sure you are staying in the main house!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Buttermilky
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I have got chance to stay here one day with my friends .I really enjoi here and i more impresed with clen environment and very good hospitality nad also about the time service which is very important.Ihave good relation with this home because whhen i had work with a french ingo in nepal we mostely used this newa chan as a guest hous for our very respected guest who had visit from different countery. All our gusst have give us very good comment and they were very happy and have give us thanks for such a kind hotel management.
although i am nepali people but i rearly use the hotel for personal business but we more arange for our forner freinds and bosses who visit nepal in business matter na dat that movement i have getting informatin and ideas all this.

thank you very much to all of you who have visit nepal and saty at new chai.thanks for your contribution to develop our turisium.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank sanjaya a
Reviewed July 16, 2011

I stayed at Newa Chen for 1 night at the end of my stay in Nepal. I was met by the friendly and lovely owner who offered me tea. My room was clean, they supplied several free bottles of water and fruit in the room, they had toilet paper and the bathroom was actually nice. Newa Chen was a very welcoming change and was worth the extra money.

I don't think I would stay for longer than 1-2 nights in Patan but I do think that Newa Chen is worth staying in as the building is very enchanting and I think the best in Patan. I enjoyed watching out my window the locals go about their morning.

Breakfast is included in the price and is taken in the communal area. It was alright.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank LuluNomad
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We travel so we can learn about other people -their ways, their culture, their history. Thanks to Newa Chen, I was offered a glimpse into a Nepali home - modern yet traditional, embracing the present yet appreciative of the past. Mr. Shrestha, the owner, treated me not so much a paying guest as a family friend from long ago who came to visit. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Book way in advance; only 8 rooms for good reason.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SoundFrequencies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patan (Lalitpur)
Summit Hotel
Summit Hotel
#1 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Hotel Friends Home
Hotel Friends Home
#3 of 207 in Kathmandu
Summerhill House
Summerhill House
#4 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Kantipur Temple House
Kantipur Temple House
#21 of 207 in Kathmandu
The Life Story Resort
The Life Story Resort
#4 of 51 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Traditional Homes - SWOTHA
Traditional Homes - SWOTHA
#2 of 51 in Patan (Lalitpur)

Been to Newa Chen? Share your experiences!