“Enjoyable stay at this nice hotel”
Review of Hotel Himalaya

Hotel Himalaya
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Hotel room was nice, service was good. Restaurant could have been better but it was overall a nice hotel. Comfortable bed and pillows. A good location, while here eat at Bricks cafe down the road from the hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Himalaya

Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is a nicely situated, clean and friendly hotel. The staff are happy to help and keen to please (perhaps with the exception of slightly dour reception staff). The high point was undoubtedly the breakfast, where a great selection of good food set us all up for a full day of site-seeing. My only small criticism was the noisiness of some of the other guests but there is little the hotel can do about that. We would certainly be very happy to return here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We stayed few nights at Himalaya Hotel in a first floor room. The hallway outside the room was quite noisy since the elevators and entrance to meeting room (or something like that) were close to our room. And we heard some animals moving about in air ventilation system pipes above room at night. After we moved to a more peaceful room we didn't have lovely mountain view any longer, but the room was much quieter. Rooms are very nice in Nepal standard and the lobby was beautifully decorated.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The service was best compared to other hotels we stayed on our trip to Nepal.

Many nice shops, large and small, selling handicrafts close to the hotel. Not too far from old Patan temple area. Crossing the road is bit of a problem in Kathmandu.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2013

After Hotel India in Varanasi every Hotel could appear like a dream. But regardless of this, Hotel Himalaya is a very good Hotel.

Big Lobby, wonderful garden in a great location. By foot we can be in 15 min at Durbar Square (Patan).
The rooms are large and clean and confortable. The stuff is very pleasant and helpful. Everything was clean.
There was a great variety of food during the buffet. The quality was great. They have the best cheese omelet in Nepal :)
We stood 3 nights there. We could stay one week without problems. Again and again.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Not having reserved this hotel myself, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the award winning Tripadvisor sign when entering the lobby.
It all looked promising enough. Entrance and lobby look great. The first little false note (for a hotel of that standard) was the dirty carpet in the elevators. How much does it cost to replace a few square metres of carpet every few months?
Our room looked very nice with a lovely wooden floor (slippers would have come in handy here). Then more little false notes: dressing gown in the room is nice, but in a double there should be two pieces. Then the first irritating point: when taking a shower, there was a strong smell of ammoniac and this repeated itself every time, very annoying.
The bed was great but the first morning we were woken up at dawn by staff talking all the time right under our window. It seemed they were putting everything ready for a reception. The preparations in itself made surprisingly little noise but the (unnecessary because nothing to do with giving orders or the preparations) chatting continued till we decided that sleeping was over and we went for breakfast. I has just been in a cheaper hotel in Kerala and the selection of fruits there was larger than is this star hotel. For the rest, they offer the buffet breakfast that all these star hotel offer but it was nothing special. However, we noticed the next days that the capacity of this breakfast room is a problem at peak hours. Food platters are empty and not refilled soon enough, coffee can be a waiting problem (waiters serve you but one has to call them when there are more guests), the guy who makes the omelettes prefers to disappear from time to time. When a member of staff fetched a coffee for me, he had spilled all over on the saucer and still put it on my table. He seemed very surprised when I asked for another saucer as I could not drink without spilling coffee on my clothes. The first coffee I had there was so bad it made me sick. When others said their coffee was ok, I tried again and it was then clear that I had had the last, strong, bit of a can. Should not happen. The taste of the coffee could vary very much, from undrinkable to ok.
All minor things, I would not have written a review, but my ordeal was still to come.
Early afternoon I came back for a rest. Very loud disco music was going on right under my bedroom window and this was still going on early evening. I guess that the bridge groom, the bride and the guests were deaf by then and I was in all states, happy to be out of the hotel for dinner.
When the next morning I saw that they were preparing for another wedding party, I feared the worst. At two o'clock I came home. There was no music but the whole place was invaded by wedding guests, not only the lawn but also the swimming pool area. So much for a swim or a sun bath when one has dozens of weddings guests in full attire staring at you ... One brave lady was sunbathing in her bikini among all these people sitting on the deck chairs around the swimming pool. I abandoned my swimming plans, I do no not need an audience, and decided to go to my room since there was no music. Barely was I in the room when the music band of about 15 drummers and trumpet players started playing. I could not even understand the receptionist when I phoned her to ask her how long this would take. This is unacceptable! Not only are the premises completely taken over by the party guests, the hotel guests have no possibility for rest or privacy. Does the music have to be so overpoweringly loud that one cannot understand each other in one's room?
I asked to inform the management of the fact that this was unacceptable (I would have checked out had I known that the first loud party would not be the last), but there was never even so much as an apology, let alone reimbursement or some other compensation ( I did not ask for that but a good hotel manager will apologise and still try to make the guest satisfied).
Overall, the hotel could be nice but nothing can compensate for the noise. not even the view or the nice rooms. There is a contradiction in other things as well. For example, a nice card with a flower is left on the bed when the bed sheets are spread open in the evening with (compliments of the maid, but the hotel policy says that staff is not allowed to solicit for tips, lol), but the bathroom accessories are not filled up nor are the teabags and coffee next to the hot water kettle. One gets a free bottle of water every day. That is, I guess, another person who does that.
The hotel could be good value for money if there was no music at the wedding parties, if staff respected silence in the corridors (no yelling good morning at you from the other end of the corridor when most guests are still asleep) and if fully dressed wedding guests stay away from the swimming pool (the lawns are large enough).
The hotel is in a busy street, but because of the entrance a little bit away from the street nad nights are surprisingly completely quiet.
I think the hotel management has to make a choice: is it a hotel or is it a place for weddings?

Room Tip: Take the fifth floor and not on the street side. That is away from the lawn ( but then no view on th...
1  Thank laraBrussels
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is situated in a very busy and noisy road. There is no proper pedestrian crossing and to get to the other side is like " committing suicide". You need to just cross hoping that the cars , buses, and motorbikes will stop to let you through. It's quite an unnerving experience.
The room is spacious, but looks tired. The linen didn't look ironed and towels were frayed.
This must have been a great hotel in its early days.
If you book here , don't ask for a ground floor room as people pass by the windows and when it's hot you'll not be able to allow ventilation by opening them.
The windows open widely which can be a security risk. . The air conditioning is only on fan and blows warm air which doesn't do anything when it's 25 degrees in the room.
The restaurant is not big enough for the hotel capacity that you wait for a table at breakfast. The breakfast buffet has a good selection , although the chafing dishes are not refillled quick enough
Apart from waiting for a table you also have to wait for the food.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We have been visiting Nepal for the past 20 years and have always used Himalaya due to its reliability and size.i.e. it's not too big to be impersonal like most of the better known ones..Recent improvements and renovations have brought it " up to scratch" and the rooms are now very smart and the bathrooms modern .The beds are superb giving a very good night's sleep. One of the things that differentiates this hotel from others is the pleasant garden area with its own temple which is used in wedding receptions frequently taking place . The pool is quite small ( and very cold) but the area where one can have snacks is very pleasant ( Much better than the Yak and Yeti ) Most of the staff have been with the hotel for very many years and this tells in the level of service and attention . It is being used by more and more groups which at times can "swamp" the rather small restaurant as they all descend at one time putting a strain on the seating facilities . TIP- if you are travelling privately and want to eat early e.g. 7.30, book your table in advance and arrive early .

Meals offer either buffet or a la carte facilities and there is always a variety of good food available . Breakfast is particularly good and don't be afraid of using the tables outside in the sun it's much nicer than inside.
The staff are always plentiful and very helpful and if the breakfast buffet happens to be offering Okura ( a tasteless rice and milk dish ) and you'd like porridge - ask for it .

The main advantages which the Himalaya has over its competitors is the views across the city toward the mountains. This is , of course, offset by the distance from the City but I think well worth the extra journey . It's also within walking distance of Patan ( 15/20 minutes walk) .

Room Tip: Get an odd numbered room - they have mountain views . Ideally 4th floor for standard rooms or 5th fl...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patan (Lalitpur)
Summit Hotel
Summit Hotel
#1 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Hotel Yak & Yeti
Hotel Yak & Yeti
#46 of 205 in Kathmandu
Hotel Goodwill
Hotel Goodwill
#8 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Shaligram Hotel
Shaligram Hotel
#3 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Hyatt Regency Kathmandu
Hyatt Regency Kathmandu
#33 of 205 in Kathmandu
Hotel Shanker
Hotel Shanker
#40 of 205 in Kathmandu

Been to Hotel Himalaya? Share your experiences!