“Understated elegance in a gorgeous part of town”

Traditional Homes - SWOTHA
Reviewed April 25, 2013

An absolutely beautifully restored Nawari building. It is not cheap but really worth the extra rupees to stay in a unique building in a traditional part of town. The decoration is understated elegance, with a clever use of subtle natural tones and locally sourced materials, but with all the modern comforts especially in the bathrooms. The management of the guesthouse are fantastic and very friendly making you feel incredibly welcome, like you are being invited to share their home. The attached restaurant has simple, but lovely fresh tasty food. If you do one thing make sure you enjoy the amazing yoga arranged by Swortha. This was the most beautiful part of Kathmandu with wonderful squares, traditional architecture, some cheap traditional eateries and people going about their daily lives, we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Traditional Homes - SWOTHA

Reviewed April 13, 2013

From the warm and informative welcome to the fondest of farewells our four night stay at the Swotha was one of our highlights of Nepal. We had the attic room that was beautifully restored and right next to the roof top terrace for a great view of local life. The staff at the hotel made the stay extra special with wonderful personal touches. The mattress was hard but after talking to Shyam, the manager, he assured us they were going to be resolving this issue soon and once it is done there would be nothing the staff or hotel could improve on. The location was perfect for us, round the corner from Durbar Square and minutes away from taxi's to take you to all the sights in Kathmandu. The dog next door did bark but we didn't find this a problem as it wasn't constant, just in short bursts every now and again, compared to the sounds of Kathmandu a bit of dog barking was nothing! The staff were wonderful, from the cleaning lady and café staff the manager, we couldn't have asked for better and will be keeping in touch. The food in the café was excellent and the chocolate brownies were the best I've ever tasted. The atmosphere was chilled out, the room was a beautiful haven and the staff perfect, Ram and Doua (if that's how you spell it) were amazing. A hotel experience that will stay in our hearts for ever.

Room Tip: Attic room was huge and more like a suite than a normal hotel room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a lovely redone old home...the rooms are very nice and clean...ask for an extra cover for hard mattress..cafe has some of the best food we had in Nepal...the only problem is the awful dog who lives next door...he never stops barking....common in Nepal, BUT HE IS ALMOST IN YOUR ROOM BECAUSE BUILDINGS ARE SO CLOSE.......location is perfect for visiting Durbar Square.don't think I would stay here again because of the barking...I would certainly come here to EAT!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bucket-Listers2
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night, the rate was fantastic and the experience was great. I would recommend this to anyone who would like to experience a real life Nepalese style house run by an excellent bright manager by the name of Sam. Very efficient and working wifi when the powers on (standard Kathmandu style). A small hotel in the vibrant Patan, easy to walk about or catch a cab. Beds were a tad hard but I believe this is down to the styling of the hotel. Be prepared for the city noise.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brixpat
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a great time at Traditional Homes. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms decorated whith love to detail. We needed a room for three and it was no problem to add a very comfy extra bed in a twin room. The location is great and the staff was super friendly and had some good recommendations.

The Swotha café is honestly one of the best food options we discovered in Kathmandu. The food is fresh, healthy and pricey. The atmosphere is lovely! The pasta dishes are delicious!

By the way: The dog next door wa really NOT a problem for us. We watched the owner playing around with the dog sometimes and that was much fun! :)

Room Tip: If you are very tall, you should consider staying in the attic's room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Seems a strange title for a hotel review, but my abiding memories of this place was the Swotha Cafe downstairs where (wait for it), I had the best food I ate in 3 weeks in Nepal - and I ate some lovely food in Luxury mountain lodges and other hotels. This cafe (where they serve your breakfast) is the closest you'll get to a french pavement cafe in Nepal, I should think, and when you just want a change from the generally wonderful spicy food, with a simple but delicious pancake or omlette or the amazing chicken skewers then you've found your place.
This is THE place to eat in Patan, even when out for the day as far as I'm concerned, and I tried a few, as I'm a bit of a foody.
OK now for the accommodation itself. Best thing, the shower - great water pressure and the hottest shower I had in Nepal. The bed though was simply hard, which is a shame as the room is beautifully renovated and as others have said, this is a lovely location and totally authentic.
It also looks as if another property the other side of the cafe is being renovated at the moment, so there will be a little community centred around the cafe in the future.
The bed is what in Europe we would call a Futon bed rather than a sprung mattress. For me personally, even with the provided topper, this meant a poor nights sleep both nights. Unfortunately the continuous barking of a dog both mornings (although not the hotels fault - this can be an issue all over Asia), meant I did not feel rested here, which after all is the main reason for selecting an overnight place.
Would I stay here again - yes, if they got a proper mattress for the beds (and I know the arguments in favour of keeping in tune with the restoration), but if not, probably not as at the end of the day, a good nights sleep trumps everything else I'm afraid.
As a footnote, the Staff here are excellent and very attentive.
I'd drive from Thamel for the food though for a leisurely lunch and to see the Durbar Square which is in my opinion the best of the 'big 3' Squares.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mike0467
Reviewed April 2, 2013

As I said, I am still actually here and writing this from the roof top. The hustle and bustle is just kicking in, cars beeping, neighbours chatting and scrubbing pots and pans, crows and myna birds getting in on the act.... The view is awesome- the tops of 7 separate temples are visible in the Durbar Square, as well as the neighbourhood homes and gardens.
We have a 4 night stay in total and it has been a really lovely interlude. The building has been renovated meticulously and it is a delight to be staying here.
We have room 6 on the 3 rd floor, the roof top is the next one up. The room is twin share and really large. Decor is minimalist (my personal favourite) but chic. Great linen, even greater towels. Firm bed - comfortable for me, great pillow. Lots of hanging space, good chairs to sit on rather than just the bed, good reading lights. There is a little balcony- very sunny in the morning. The bathroom is well fitted out and the shower...... Hot water! Awesome water pressure. Natural soaps are also provided.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Service was efficient. They are a good team.
The attached restaurant is also really nice with indoor and outdoor seating. Lots of light and big windows. There were books, magazines and music as well as good wifi. Excellent breakfasts each morning and a really nice lunch and dinner menu. Really enjoyed everything we had on the menu. Am hoping to finish off the dessert menu tonight!
I loved it. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Steep staircase so bear that in mind when choosing a room if you have mobility issues. I like being...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gill G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patan (Lalitpur)
Summit Hotel
Summit Hotel
#1 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Shaligram Hotel
Shaligram Hotel
#3 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Hotel Goodwill
Hotel Goodwill
#8 of 8 in Patan (Lalitpur)
Dwarika's Hotel
Dwarika's Hotel
#10 of 207 in Kathmandu
The Inn Patan
The Inn Patan
#1 of 51 in Patan (Lalitpur)
The Life Story Resort
The Life Story Resort
#3 of 51 in Patan (Lalitpur)

Been to Traditional Homes - SWOTHA? Share your experiences!