“Easy to recommend”
Review of Shaligram Hotel

Shaligram Hotel
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I’m just ending a two-week stay at the Shaligram Hotel in the Patan area of Kathmandu. The hotel has many desirable features, including its set-back from a noisy and dusty road and its proximity to Durbar Square, a World Heritage Site. The staff is friendly and consistently helpful; the cost is certainly reasonable; and most of the rooms are spacious. The rooms in the “old” wing are large as well. In contrast to the many appealing features, the hotel does not provide shampoo or hair dryers and the bars of soap are miniscule. Please be sure to avoid the rooms on the first floor of the new wing. They are close to the reception and all other guests must pass these rooms. The rooms on the upper three floors of the new wing are much better, but there is no elevator. Breakfast is included in the price at the adjacent Manny’s restaurant, which also serves lunch and dinner. The wi fi is free but not always available. The electricity will occasionally go off for a few minutes but this is an area-wide problem not limited to the Shaligram. On the whole, this is a good place to stay while in Kathmandu. I have no reluctance in recommending it.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor of the new (or rear) building
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank RichT529
sahsasia, Marketing & Sales at Shaligram Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review of Shaligram Hotel. I have looked through all your points carefully and will definitely strive every day to improve more and more. We have just transitioned from catering to long term guests as a serviced apartment, into a small hotel hosting guests for short or long terms. (please note: we do provide hair dryers on request).
Again I thank you for sparing some of your valuable time to review the hotel.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Shaligram. Great apartment, with a lovely view and great light, fully equipped kitchen, very helpful staff. I travel to Nepal often for work, and from now on this will be, hands down, my place of choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank 139mlm08
sahsasia, Director of Sales at Shaligram Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for sparing your valuable time to review our hotel. We greatly appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you back here soon. At your service as always.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I visited the Shaligram for a 4 day visit to Kathmandu. The property is literally an oasis in the city. The property is beautifully manicured and the rooms are large and well appointed with modern furniture that you would see in a European hotel. I was frankly surprised and how well priced the room rate was for the type of property that it is. The staff was amazing. They were always very helpful, arranged for a driver to take us on a tour of the cites and made sure we felt at home. I would definitely recommend this hotel. We will stay there again on our next visit for sure.

Room Tip: I recommend rooms in the new building and on a top floor just for the views. They have balconies an...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jon S

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your much appreciated views on Shaligram Hotel. We are happy that we could make your stay here comfortable. We are trying harder every day to make our guests feel at home and not have to worry about day to day matters while visiting this beautiful country.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

As a first time visitor to Nepal, I stayed at the Shaligram Hotel for one month for work. I stayed in the newly constructed earthquake resistant building in a top floor suite. I loved the terrace and beautiful view my room offered. My suite had a cozy living area outfitted with a sink, small refrigerator, tea kettle and toaster. All the furniture has a modern, streamlined aesthetic which I liked very much. The bedroom was very comfortable with a clean en suite bathroom where the shower provided great water pressure. The bathroom had modern amenities as in a 5-star hotel. The bed had one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on in a hotel, and the pillows are big and soft -- not lumpy or hard as you find in some hotels. A complimentary issue of The Himalayan Times is delivered daily to your room.

Aside from the amenities and accommodation, my rating is based on the extremely attentive staff that always greeted me with a smile and met my every request. Even in advance of my arrival, the hotel owner when out of his way to answer all my questions and even tried to get a local nano SIM card for me before I landed. Upon arrival, I was greeted by friendly staff who did not miss a single detail settling me in. The hotel owner was keen in wanting to know if I was comfortable and if the complimentary wi-fi worked consistently, and insisted that he know if any small detail that could make my stay more enjoyable. He even assisted me with some small requests in relation to my work, going above and beyond duty to be kind and of help. I've never encountered a hotel owner/manager like him.

During my short stay, I observed small improvements made on the premises, including additional hotspots for wi-fi, telephone access on the main floor for guests, etc. On numerous occasions, staff arranged for car rides for me and negotiated the taxi fare in advance for me. During rainy evenings, the security guard accompanied me with an umbrella to and from the on-site restaurant. The management and cleaning staff are very hardworking and some of the best I've ever encountered. The kindness I encountered was incredible and something I'll always cherish. The staff went out of their way to help me, and towards the end, I felt like family. They were genuinely interested in making me happy, rare I think for the hotel industry at large. Towards the end of my stay, my husband joined me and he too was "wowed" by the hospitality and kindness of the staff.

Shaligram is located in a nice area of Kathmandu called Jawalakhel. Fruit vendors flank one side of the entry road to the property. The hotel also is conveniently located near a gym, sauna, massage and swimming pool facility that is in the same compound as the hotel. The onsite restaurant, Manny's, is very nice and open from 8am to 10pm. I enjoyed great breakfasts and a daily mango lassi (delicious), with friendly, smiling staff.

Unequivocally, I recommend Shaligram Hotel to visitors to Nepal. You will feel like family here.

Room Tip: Room 30 on top floor offers a great terrace and scenic view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
11  Thank Hina S
sahsasia, Marketing & Sales at Shaligram Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Madame,

Thank you for your excellent review. We are glad you and Sir enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I hope your flight back home went smoothely. It was a pleasure hosting you. I hope to see you in the future.

Marketing & Reservations

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Over the last decade I have stayed at the Shaligram on possibly 8 occasions, varying in duration from 2 weeks to 6 months. Since most rooms have a kitchen it is ideal base for a single person or couple. (My wife joined me twice there.) The older facilities have charm but are perfectly serviceable. In the Winter period the heating, as in most buildings in Kathmandu, is not up to European standards but Winter only lasts a couple of months. The situation in Patan/ Jawalakhel is really good with lots of restaurants and supermarkets to choose from. The hotel faciities - gym, on-site restaurant, pool, sauna etc - are all well maintained

I leave to last the most important feature of the Shaligram. The management and staff are simply the best. In 2003 I was made the fittest I have ever been through the careful informed programme designed and implemented by the lead fitness instructor. On numerous occasions management has arranged at short notice accommodation for me and colleagues. Reception is always on the ball and the staff go out of their way to assist.

I feel that each trip to the Shaligram is like a visit to a branch of the family.

Chris Cumming, Cambridge UK

Room Tip: Have a look at the various blocks of rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank Chris C
sahsasia, Owner at Shaligram Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Dr. saheb,

It is a real honour to have you review us, as you were here on several of your long term stays for work. I know it is straight forward to review hotels when you are there for a few days, but it is quite another story when you are here for over a year. We thoroughly appreciate this.

I am glad that Ratan was able to make you very fit at our fitness centre (which by the way is under new management and has been expanded further).

I hope you can visit us yet another time and try some of the new accommodations on offer. I will be thrilled to welcome you back home.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

It was a very pleasant stay of 2 weeks for me and my family and a convenient location. The hotel rates were reasonable. We enjoyed the cooking facilities and the spacious living room. The heating unit probably needs an overhaul as it was sometimes cold inside the premises. The hotel could do well to improve the approach road to the premises. There are some structures which should be cleared to give a decent approach to the hotel. The maid service was also good with some friendly and hard working staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank ajithabey
sahsasia, Marketing & Sales at Shaligram Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review. It is highly appreciated by us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here, and would like to add that we have now renovated all our old accommodations and have added the new Residence Wing as well. Air-conditoning units have been updated and added as well for both cooling and heating. I hope the next time you are here we can make your experience even more better.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Good place for stay in Kathmandu rooms are good and comfortable. Only thing is they have only one single room at roof top i was there in same room and love it good outside view from room. else they have Apartment with kitchen and other facilities. long stay tourist are like this place. they also have swimming pool but i never used. Bathrooms are clean and having hot and cold water. Only one thing they have less food choice if you order.
Wifi is free for guests.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
14  Thank Prabhatbhardwaj

Dear Sir,

Thank you for giving us your valuable time for this review. We have now renovated and expanded the number of units by introducing our Residence Wing. Do visit us again and check out our new single rooms. The menu choice at Manny's Restaurant has also been expanded. There is also the Nirvana Cafe at the Nirvana Wellness Centre for more choice. Further, as we have grown from being a serviced apartment-hotel to a small hotel catering to short and long stays we have introduced breakfast for our short term guests with our compliments. Our w-fi has also been overhauled from an ADSL line to a high speed fibre optic line, so it is much faster and still complimentary for our guests.