Niva Niwa Lodge
  • Breakfast included
$125
$92
Agoda.com
Hotel at the End of the Universe(Nagarkot)(Great Value!)
$19
$18
$67
$36
TripAdvisor
All reviewshot waternice viewterraceluxurysunrisemountainsviewsmattressesweather
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Views are exquisite, from all rooms...it sells the whole thing
You have to bring shampoo- body wash- soap...none provided ( would be a bit difficult for trekkers), if you are coming by car bring your sheets too!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms provide a large balcony with Himalayan range- sun rise view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mamory
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We went to two hotels, the Mountain Peak and Niva Niwa to see both hotel rooms and decided this hotel, because of the view from the balcony; unblocked and open view of the Himalayas. The room in Mountain Peak were all booked and it didn't have a balcony thus deciding with Niva Niwa.

Services:

The service is OK OK only, nothing great and the room rate was USD50 after negotiating and checking the prices online. He was trying to get us into USD60 but we bargained with him. The dining tables in the common area are old, and the table cloth hadn't been changed, there were food stains all over it. Also, the lack of proper lighting made the place look older than it's 10-15 years.

Room:

Ok now, what you've all been waiting for. Our room was great, the toilet was good we had plenty of warm water, lights and all at NIGHT but after midnight everything was turned off and the only lights we had were the backup lights. The water heater was also turned off and while I had lukewarm water to shower with the next morning my fiancee had to make do with cold water. The rooms didn't come equipped with telephones or televisions but oddly our phones picked up their local service providers (we were both on roaming)

We had three layers of blankets and a small old radiator. All the windows were screened and you can open several of them at night or in the morning should you wish to get the fresh morning air. At night however, there were some huge bugs flying round the light outside our room so we had to finish our beers inside the room. Luckily the screen provided protection from them. Somehow two beetles managed to sneak in and we had fun time chasing them out. We also had someone come to the room with our dinner and it was too much for two persons to finish so we saved some for supper.

The breakfast was mediocre (half toasted bread, fresh butter, strawberry jam, tea and a plate of bean stalks, potato and tomatoes), we were told it is monsoon right now, because it was too foggy to take good shots of the Himalayas but at 5.30am when the sun was up, a guy went around knocking on everyone's doors to wake them up so we can all take pictures of the run rising behind Himalayas. The view was breathtakingly beautiful. We had noisy Korean neighbors, so we slept late till 10amish and had an even lazier day. The Visa machine at the reception was broken so we had to go downhill to the nearest town (the walk was nice!) and luckily there was an ATM there so we withdrew some rupees and paid the guy at the reception for the room and 4 bottles of beer (skip local beers, they taste nasty and it makes you fart alot!)

This hotel has a bit of cobbled lawn where you can sit and just look at the snow-white capped Himalayas and the lower green mountains below it. I utterly enjoyed the view, the dinner and when the electricity was running!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SaltyBodiceRipper
Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

If you would like to run away of urban Kathmandu, it is a perfect location for you.
It has superb view of the surrounding mountains. For us the moisty weather does not allow the clear view.
You should try the food as well.

Only problem is that the electricity is out for several (12) hours a day.
Wifi at the reception.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank GergoG
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I stayed at Niva Niwa Lodge the night of July 9th 2012. I was given Room Number 9 on the highest level. When I first entered the room, I had this creepy, uncomfortable feeling that someone is looking at me. I tried to shrug it off, perhaps the room and furniture were old. The owner and staff were all very friendly like what all reviewers said, but being friendly does not equate to being good or honest. They also kept offerring me black tea. I drank one, but declined further offers as I know I would have difficulty sleeping after drinking black tea, but the owner reassured me and said "Oh no, over here, you will sleep like a baby". I slept at about 9pm, and surely, like said, slept like a baby. I didn't wake for toilet trips, didn't hear a thing, was totally dead until 5am when my alarm clock rang. Then came the time for payment. I took a look at my wallet and only 4 pieces of one USD notes were left, I knew immediately something was amiss. I told my guide. We lodge a police report. The police came and search the room. We found one of the windows unlocked, and wire mesh cut at both corners where you can stick a finger to unlock the latches. It was deduced that someone came in through the window while I was sleeping and took some money from my wallet which was lying on the sofa. I suspect they only took some money, in the hope that you won't notice, or in the hope that they will not pursue it was it was very little money taken. At the police station the owner claimed the mesh was cut before I came, but didn't provide further details of what happened, why the mesh was cut. When asked why wasn't the mesh repaired? He claimed no crime happened at his lodge before, and his staff were all honest, one can sleep with windows open and door unlocked, there is no need to repair. He also mentioned that his staff are relatives of police. What I want to do here is warn anyone who is going to stay in this lodge to be high on your alert, make sure all the windows are locked. And if you find window mesh cut or broken, please reject the room and ask for another room. Yes, I agree with all reviewers that the view was majestic, it was truly amazing, however it was an expensive stay, as someone helped himself to a big tip of USD 260 from my wallet!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank JoyLeong
Reviewed May 3, 2012

this hotel is located at the top of Nagarkot hill, it has a great location in Nagarkot, we can see Langtang Chain clearly, watch birds, relax, watch superb sunrise and sunset. the hotel architecture is original and inventive.
Negative: mattresses a bit old and very hard bed. the hotel accommodations need renewal

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple