“A wonderful surprise!”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Nagarkot
Singapore, Singapore
“A wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This hotel is quite the surprise. Given where we were, quite far from Kathmandu, some 2000m above sea-level in the foothills of the Himalayas, I really wasn’t expecting such a plush hotel.

The lobby, restaurant, lounge area is quite impressive and the rooms well appointed. We had a room on the top floor which had a nice A-frame ceiling. If you wake up early enough, you can see a stunning sunrise over the himalayan range right from your room. You can either just open the curtains or walk out onto your terrace to see this unforgettable vista. Or else you can go to the large rooftop terrace of the hotel to be with all the other hotel guests snapping away :-)

The daily buffet for breakfast and dinner was also excellent. Quite a large variety of food which was very tasty. Don’t forget to test out the bar area which has a centrally-positioned fireplace, with lounge chairs situated all around it. And if you expect a place like this to have no internet connection, you’re wrong. The lobby area had free wifi, while in-room access was payable, but very affordable for a decent connection.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms have high A-frame ceilings
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Interesting hotel to stay in near Kathmandu. Nice atmosphere and supposedly good views when the air is clear (we unfortunately picked a bad week.) Nice base for hiking the countryside around there. Restaurant was good with a variety of food.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Amazingly attentive staff...they lived upto our expectation and gone beyond. We went to celebrate our 3rd anniversary and they have done exceptionally well to impress us. Reception staff is genuinely amazing.,,our star of the stay was our favourite chef (putting up his pic)...he blown our minds away with his experiment with the food....bful stay, cheers!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HarpreetWalia
Mia
Reviewed November 30, 2013

After a long, hard, cold trek to Everest Base Camp roughing it, we spent 2 relaxing nights here. Resort General Manager Vikas Sakya was exceedingly attentive as was chef Sandeep. The rooms were clean and servicible, but we were really here for the setting. The views were spectacular, and sunrise on the roof terrace--seeing Himalayan alpinglow--was worth the 6am wake up. Would recommend setting up a tea service up there at dawn. Every staff member was attentive, friendly and helpful. I am a bit baffled at the comment from another reviewer that breakfast was "basic". There were multiple hot and cold savory options, a made-to-order omelet bar, several kinds of bread hot and hot and cold cereals, cold cuts, and so on.....

• Stayed November 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We cannot said enough excellent reviews about this Resort. Excellent service, eager to help 24/7, excellent room with incredible breathtaking views of the himalayan mountains and sunsets; excellent room maintenance with all the necessities we needed to be most comfortable and happy; lobbies, reception, gardens all excellently maintained; cuisine was scrumptuous and beautifully displayed on plates; breakfast buffet was great; awesome selection of wines and cocktails. Most of all, the General Manager, Mr. Vikas, and duty manager, Mr. Raj,together with their front desk staff, were all very attentive and most gracious. From top management to the menials employees, excellent service with smiles.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Cayman
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This visit to Nagarkot was supposed to be just a nice getaway to see the spectacular sunrise. Our travel agent in Nepal chose this hotel particularly because it is supposed to be an exceptional resort and you can actual enjoy the view from your private balcony (unfortunately it was very cloudy and we couldn't see anything much). However, that was insignificant compared to what I had to endure during my one night stay. The hotel will certainly be expecting this review and unfortunately this stay was by far the most horrible of any hotel stay I have ever experienced. It really doesn't matter how nice the hotel when you are treated like dirt by the staff. Four of us arrived very tired but so happy to finally be at the hotel following a 7 hour flight delay from Tibet to Kathmandhu, a long wait for luggage and then the drive to Nagarkot. It was reasonably late upon arrival and all we wanted to do was get a bite to eat and crash - planning to get up very early for the sunrise. When we approached the lobby there was an extremely strong smell of insense. It was actually overwhelming and by the time the four of us got checked in, I was actually feeling a bit sick. We could see that the dining room was open right there to the reception area and we were told that the other areas in which to eat were already closed. I asked about room service, quietly mentioning that I found the smell very difficult so I would prefer to eat in my room. Well, that was my first mistake. The reception lady gave me a funny look and said she would see if that was possible. When I got to the room I understood why because in the hotel "manual" it said that room service was frowned upon???? It suggested that since we were on vacation why not eat in the dining room and meet other interesting people!! The next thing I know the phone is ringing and it's the Food and Beverage Manager. He understands that I have a problem with the smell of the hotel and I want food delivered to my room. Well it went way, way downhill from there - after I was told what a big favour he was doing for me AND since I was complaining I'd get at 20% discount, I really lost it. Yes, I was tired, and hungry but this guy literally reduced me to tears. I thanked him for making me feel like a piece of dirt. Long story later, the poor general manager appears with my husband and apologies. I really was too upset to even discuss how I felt so he left. A 1/2 hour or so later he is back with some food and wine. I really felt sorry for him. To his credit he really tried to make things right. The problem is that once someone treats you so badly it is difficult to instantly recover. The F&B guy came across my husband in the dining room and instead of apologising he went on about what an emotional woman I was!! Well I am not, but suffice to say that nothing really could have taken the situation back to our excited arrival. Besides all of that, the room was more than fine, albeit a bit of a hike to the dining room where our decent breakfast buffet was served. The balcony was a great feature but our special sunrise was not to be. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I was exhausted from the upsetting ordeal and really just wanted to get back to Kathmandu. So, no matter what the hotel is like they need a whole lot of customer service and sensitivity training AND they need to keep an open mind about why some people may want room service and try to do a whole lot better. Thanks to the GM who really was mortified I think. Unfortunately, I have his name but have somehow misplaced it. He was very kind.

Room Tip: I am not sure if all rooms have the mountain view balconies but this is the reason why people come h...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CanadianIslanders
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2013

At 7,000 feet, the air is clear and crisp but not cold. Views from the room breathtaking. Service from all staff excellent. I still take issue to having to pay for WIFI room access, particularly on a device by device basis at what is arguably a luxury hotel.
While western travellers usually eschew buffet, if you are heading east, you'd better get used to it. The victuals are very good but unfortunately the best buffet can't touch a la carte service.
Suggest that you set up a tour/hike with one of the local guides (Deepak was great). Three-six hour experience that will leave you breathless (in a good way). The terraced views, the mountains, the temples. Mind-blowing.
We were on the rooftop terrace watching yet another majestic sunset. Immediately following the sun leaving the horizon, I noticed what seemed to be a signal beam emanating from the Himalayas in the distance. Knowing that there was no life forms in the mountain, I was briefly puzzled. That is until I realized that we were bearing witness to a full moon rising over the range. A magical mystery tour. If, by chance, you find yourself in Nagarkote the night of a full moon, do not, under any circumstance, fail to get yourself onto the terrace to witness the universe at its best.

Room Tip: 5th floor offers the best views.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nagarkot
Hotel Country Villa
Dwarika's Hotel
Dwarika's Hotel
#11 of 198 in Kathmandu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,064 reviews

Been to Club Himalaya? Share your experiences!