“Lovely Place, Terrible Food”
Review of Club Himalaya

Club Himalaya
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Nagarkot
“Lovely Place, Terrible Food”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

- Awesome view of the mountains from my room
- Friendly, helpful and polite, if rustic and English-challenged
- Clean, comfy moderately appointed rooms (no minibar, no room service, no bottled water...)
- Tech challenged (Very slow Internet, only in the lobby)
- Quaintly laid out with plenty of places to hang out and relax
- Terrible, terrible food

Club Himalaya has everything going for it except the food and beverage management, which is terrible. Tiny buffet with badly cooked food, obvious leftover food rotation happening, staff untrained in food hygiene (replacing soiled cutlery without cleaning, cook at buffet picking nose...). I reached one morning and had the bad luck to pick out food from the buffet that had probably gone off. Was down with an upset tummy that night onwards for the next three days I was there, without having eaten anyplace else.

Additionally roaming from India (or perhaps it's Nepal) is terribly expensive with Internet costs being USD 12.5 per MB.

If they can fix their F&B, Club Himalaya will probably be one of the nicest places I've been to. Without this, given the lack of other nearby options, I can only suggest avoiding Club Himalaya.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
AceHotelsNepal, Owner at Club Himalaya, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are happy to know that you enjoyed the overall ambiance and hospitality of Club Himalaya. We are sorry to hear that the F & B department did not suit your palate.
We now have a new F & B manager, who has been working very hard to overcome few shortcomings mentioned by you. We continue to train our staff on hygiene and handling. We assure you a better F&B experience on your next visit.

With gratitude,
Pam Sakya
On behalf of the CH family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Japan
Reviewed May 12, 2013

At the end of trekking, I stayed at this hotel. Room was clean and nice. In my room a small light with dry batteries was put on side-table and it looked nice in case of power cut. There was full electricity when I stayed there. Free wi-fi was available in the lobby but not in the bar. Dinner and breakfast were both buffet, and the taste was mild and delicious. Nepalese organic coffee from beans was also provided there. There was indoor swimming pool too, so it may be nice in rainy days too.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed May 6, 2013

One of the best places I've ever stayed in, located in the hilltop of Nagarkot, excellent ambiance truly refreshing atmosphere, I stayed here for 2 nights, the staffs were courteous and humble, food was awesome, the view from my room was stunning, we just walked up to the terrace of the hotel and managed to see the sunrise.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Pokhara
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed at Club Himalaya for two nights in mid April and absolutely loved it. After a few days in chaotic Kathmandu it was exactly what I needed. Location-wise Club Himalaya is hard to top as it is right at the very top of Nagarkot and therefore has some pretty unbeatable views. The resort itself is lovely and has literally everything a traveller needs for a relaxing stay. The amenities are terrific. The restaurant serves great food and the bar is a nice place to have a few drinks in the evening. I also took advantage of their in-house massage service which was really, really good. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. In short, Club Himalaya is hard to criticise and is THE place to stay in Nagarkot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nic J
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My friends used to recall Nagarkot synonym with Club Himalaya. I reached the hotel for Valentines day. Welcome drink, nice buffet dinner and nice room. I found everything nice. Even learnt some dancing steps from my wife in the dancing floor. Next morning, went for sunrise, had nice breakfast and we came back. Then I asked myself, what is the difference I found in this hotel which I won't get in some other lesser expensive place. I wondered, is it only the brand name or something special which I missed here. Perhaps it is just my own thought ocean but if someone is looking for everything well managed and mechanical smile, this hotel is a perfect place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AceHotelsNepal, Owner at Club Himalaya, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Namaste! Tapaiko review padhey ra dherai khushi lagyo. We understand that you enjoyed your stay but believe that for you something was missing. We completely agree that every hotel must have a heart and soul. That is our belief too. We make sure everybody understands and practices this. I invite you to visit us again and experience our heart and soul. We have our hearts in the right place, I assure you sir.

Please contact me personally on your next visit.

Hope to serve you soon.

On behalf of Club Himalaya family
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at this resort from 21st Oct to 23rd Oct, 2012 with my wife and 3yr old kid. I must say that we were simply bowled over. Where do I start from? The location is serene. The property is located on a mountain top with jaw-dropping views of the langtang himalayan range from almost every nook and corner of this resort. You get a 190 degree view of the range from the helipad and equally good views from dining area and also from your room. The resort is quite big and there is ample place to stroll about leisurely even if you decide not to leave the premises. The tall trees inside the property which make the rustling sound at night creates an unmatched ambience.
We booked our room in the new wing and I must admit that the decor of the room is very modern. The room was spotless and the bathroom as modern as you could expect from a 5-star property in a tier-1 city. However, there is a mischievous little glass window with a curtain in the bathroom which you are certainly not going to mind once you see the room. The lighting, the bathroom fixtures and the furniture are top class. The best part of the package is however the verandah. Open the spacious verandah and you will be looking into a gorge. On a clear day, you will be greeted with panoramic views of the himalayan range.
Location is excellent. This is probably the first property once you enter Nagarkot. There is a very good local restaurant called "Berg House Cafe" located near to this property. Also, there are ATMs, good liquor shops, medicine shops and stationery shops within walking distance from the property. From this central place in Nagarkot, one road goes towards Club Himalaya and the other one goes towards the end of the Nagarkot where most of the remaining accomodations are situated. The farmhouse retreat is almost at the end of this road. A leisurely walk along this road is a good way to fall in love with Nagarkot.
Food is the only thing which slightly fell short of our expectations. The main restaurant did not have ala-carta and we had to take a buffet lunch in the afternoon. The buffet was costly at 1200 nepali rupee. At night also, the restaurant did not have ala-carta though we managed to get milk for our child. The food is okay but the ambience of the dining hall and reception is superb. Breakfast was complimentary and had much to offer. However, I found it too much westernised with variety of eggs and cold meat slices.
Also, I am not too much sure about the swimming pool since it was closed at that point of time.
Room service is very good. The rooms are being cleaned daily.
Check-in and check-out was quick. People at the reception were professionally trained. Rest of the staff is very well mannered. We booked our car for drop to Kathmandu airport from the hotel and the rate was cheaper than what had been quoted outside the hotel.
Overall, I can highly recommend this place in Nagarkot. At 8000 nepali rupee, the place is not cheap, but what it offers is worth your every penny. Here you can expect luxury along with the tranquility of the himalayas. A big thumbs up. I just hope that they continue to run their business in a very environment friendly manner. Nagarkot is still virgin. We, tourists are yet to leave our mark.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new building are fantastic. 2nd floor and above should have fabulous view of the langta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sku26
AceHotelsNepal, Owner at Club Himalaya, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much. We couldn't have hoped for a better review! We are delighted to learn that you were completely bowled over by our location, view, ambiance, service, rooms and activities around the hotel.

We will continue to work harder so we can continue to be the best.

Hope to see you again.

With gratitude,

On behalf of Club Himalaya family
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We came here to hopefully enjoy the views of the Himalayas - but no such luck... However, we enjoyed the drive up to Nagarkot through the wheat fields and villages. The rooms here are great - large size, well planned, and very comfortable. The balcony was great - with sweeping views (for us - not much to see this time - very hazy/cloudy). The bar was comfortable and the service cheerful - loved the chairs (I need them in my house!!) and the fireplace. The restaurant buffet was ho-hum - and a bit pricey for dinner. Restaurant service needs to improve leaps and bounds - though there was one gentlemen (not the manager - but prob. the supervisor) who was a star - he covered every corner of the restaurant and handled everything... he deserves a raise and a promotion!! There is construction going on at the moment (a new wing?? new rooms??) - so expect noise and a bit of a mess in the gardens... They started early with the construction (before 9am)...hmmm... Overall I would recommend - but if you are only coming for a view of Everest - make sure you call the hotel first and check the likelihood - as if this is what you are hoping for, like us, you might be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nagarkot
Hotel Country Villa
Dwarika's Hotel
Dwarika's Hotel
#11 of 194 in Kathmandu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,062 reviews

Been to Club Himalaya? Share your experiences!