“Lovely place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Nagarkot
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Lovely place to stay”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We live in Kathmandu and needed a couple of days break. We are so glad that we chose EcoHome for a very relaxing stay. The room was great, very tastefully decorated in Nepali style. The food was delicious and freshly cooked to order using local produce. The staff were cheerful, friendly and could not do too much for us. The owners are doing great work too to help the local community. Highly recommended place to stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I´ve get to Nagarkot without reservation and get a room at resort eco home! the place is excellent... the room is really nice... the decoration is lovely.... and the restaurant have a nice fireplace... and the staff play music at cold nights.... it was really a great stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Just back from a great 5 day trip in Nagarkot and surrounding places.
Booked Eco Home through their homepage and wrote a mail to the owner, Semanta. He always replied very quick and gave me a better price than agoda.com or other platforms. (So just an advise: contact the owner).
We agreed for an airport pick up. My plane was late, the visa process took time and luggage took forever...but when I finally walked out, the guys from Eco Home were waiting for me with a smile in their faces and welcomed me to Nepal:)
The ride from Kathmandu intl. airport to Nagarkot takes around 1 hr, +- 15 minutes, depending on traffic.

When I arrived in the evening I took a hot shower (hot showers are rarely seen in places like Nagarkot), but the owner uses the sun energy to provide hot water, anytime to his guests:)
When I went up to the restaurant, the open fire was on, I sat there ordered food with the always smiling chef...
Ok,the food takes time, but you have to consider, everything they do they do from the scratch, everything is fresh and most of their products are organic, so it's worth a little waiting :)

The rooms are cozy and comfy, with wooden floor in the bedroom and stone floor in the bathroom.
January is still considered a cold month (especially in the night) so the boys gave me 2 blankets, and every evening hot water bags to keep me warm, that was great. I had not to ask for that.

The breakfast in the morning from the roof terrace is beautiful. I always ordered the breakfast in the evening for a particular time the next day, so I never waited ;) had toast, eggs, honey, jam and nice and homemade masala tea...

The sunrise from the small temple behind Eco Home is breathtaking. It's worth getting up at 6 am to see...

Semanta, the owner, helped me to book a day tour on a motorbike to the mountain sides, he called his friend and Sunil arrived immediately, took me on a wonderful tour to other places in the mountains ! Amazing experience. One day I walked to the highest point (view tower), it took me 1,5 hrs to get there, but it's a nice and easy trek.

Thank you so much Semanta, and to the boys working there, making my time in Nagarkot an amazing one. I will be surely back and recommend Eco Home to family and friends :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Tobi1985
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Eco Home is a clean and comfortable hotel with cute, colorful rooms and a wide open rooftop that is ideal for peace, a nice breeze, and a hot cup of tea. The dining hall is impeccably kept, with a beautiful fireplace where guests gather in the evening on cold nights.

The service was warm and attentive. In fact, I would say that they were a little TOO attentive to the point of being a little overbearing, as my friend and I were asked over and over again by the staff and manager how everything was at every stage. I think this was because we were there during low season and there were very few guests. I got the sense that they do genuinely want to make sure you enjoy your stay.

After seeing some of the negative reviews I would suggest that guests manage certain expectations:

1. You do get a sweeping panoramic view of the Himalyas, but not from the rooftop. You have to do a 1- or 2-minute walk uphill from the rooftop to get to the viewpoint, which is shared with locals and guests from other hotels. You will see other buildings and a couple of other hotels with rooftop viewpoints that are, annoyingly, closer to the peaks than Eco Home's. These buildings are part of the view, but they do not obstruct the peaks (although a few trees might). See my photo to get a sense of the view without camera zoom--keep in mind though that the photo doesn't do justice to what the mountains look like in real life!

Also, if you're considering going to Nagarkot for the view of the Himalayas, but your itinerary includes a trek in the mountains or going to another viewpoint that's closer to the peaks (e.g., Sarangkot in Pokhara), then you can actually skip Nagarkot.

2. They'll tell you up front that they take time preparing fresh meals, and it's true. They really do take their time. Relax with a pot of tea while they cook. The resulting meals are about 4/5--not perfect but decent. If that's going to test your patience then there's probably a better place for you elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank carryont
Kortrijk, Belgium
Reviewed January 1, 2013

had a 2- night stay at Eco Home . Surprisingly , i was the only guest ....... Room was small but clean , Food and breakfast were good . Nagarkot has not much to offer except for the stunning mountainviews , so 2 nights was more then enough ........

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank martinlizard
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at eco home for a New Years Eve and instead of having a nice chill in mountains we had a very unpleasant experience. The place is clean, has a cozy fire place and rooms are very nice but the hotel has a street view - mountains are at the back. The Nepali owner talks a lot about friendliness and home-feel but his main manager is simply rude. We had dreadful dinner (after waiting for it an hour) and in the morning really awful powder milk coffee. Food is really overpriced for its quality. Add 10% service charge for a manager who turns his back on you when you want to change coffee for tea. We won't come back here.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank eddy2013
Semanta P, Owner at Resort Eco Home, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear guest,
we rember you well as a nice and smiling guest from Poland among others from Japan, Malaysia and Nepal on this New Years Eve. We always tell our guests, that preparing food will take time as we prepare all our dishes fresh. I asked you about your food after dinner and you said "delicious" and we even allowed you to have wine in our restaurant which you brought from Kathmandu. Talking to you we had the feeling that you and your partner were happy in Eco Home after shifting to us from an other hotel in Nagarkot and you told us how much you enjoyed our hot shower after some days without.

Yes, we use powder milk like 90% of all hotels in Nepal as there is no proper cow farming
in Nepal and you can not buy pasteurised milk at every corner like in your country. And my manager asked you to pay your coffee after you finished it, may be this is rude in your eyes. So my suggestion is to tell in advance that you don't like powder milk when you are in Nepal
next time as you will get it in most places.

We are sorry that you started your New Year 2013 with negative thoughts, still we wish you all the best.

Life is beautiful when you are beautiful by heart, keep smiling!

With best regards
Semanta, Anita and Eco Home team
Dubai
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My friends and I really had a wonderful time at EcoHome because we feel that we are just at our home provided with superb service. The owner, Semanta, really did his best to assist/ provide us with whatever we want.. from the airport pick up, city tour, fantastic accommodation, good food, wonderful chit chat, village tour, etc... It was just perfect! Everybody in the resort were very friendly and helpful... We just love the simplicity of the place... It's also amazing that we always get a wi-fi signal even with the power interruptions.. i highly recommend EcoHome for all travelers...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends