“Really pleasantly surprised - we had a great stay”
Review of The Star & Garter

The Star & Garter
Ranked #1 of 1 East Dean B&B and Inns
London
“Really pleasantly surprised - we had a great stay”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were almost put off by the negative reviews, but glad we stayed.
The room (Goodwood Room with four poster) was perfectly quiet and really comfortable (we stayed on a Saturday night and were directly above the pub) They were actually really helpful in every way and kept asking if there was anything we needed.

Room had everything we needed, including a massive bathroom with 2 person bath. It wasn't super luxurious, but it was definitely better than I was expecting (and it is after all, rooms above a pub!) Ate there on the Saturday and food was great too.

We did a 5 mile circular walk that ended at the pub, then settled down for a few drinks, knowing we didn't have to go anywhere - lovely - would consider staying here again if we come back in the Summer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Dropped in for a light Boxing Day lunch whilst walking through the forest near Goodwood. Very nice design- tastefully modernised with exposed old brickwork , scrubbed pine tables and wood burning stove. Pretty busy with pleasant affluent- looking chocolate Labrador tweed types. Lots of Hunter willies. The staff were very attentive and friendly and the food excellent. Some good real ale I'm told and delicious whitebait, home made bread and a pigeon breast and bacon salad.

• Stayed December 2012
London
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We booked to stay one Friday night, and had to leave at 8:45 the next morning. The room was good, but above the bar. During the night we were woken a couple of times, because of noise from what appeared to be a "lock in". We were the only guests staying.

Having pre arranged breakfast the next morning for 8:15, we came downstairs to find the pub locked and dark, with no one around. The papers were still hanging through the door. It appears that we were forgotten about, someone had overslept, or they just didn't care anyway. After 15 mins hanging around we decided to try to find breakfast somewhere else, as we had to leave by 8:45 anyway.

We left a note on the door, and have sent two emails, but have not been contacted by the pub. I think I have given them every chance to explain before writing this bad review. A ver poor experience, and interesting to see another reviewer had a very similar experience.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this pub to anyone for accommodation or service. Maybe the food is good.....
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ArbeeLondon
sussex
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We popped in here for lunch. Fast service, lovely food. They have a nice choice of local ales and menu has a nice selection to choose from. Baked Camembert was to die for.
Latte's are a must afterwards as well.

• Stayed June 2012
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Eat here on a Tuesday lunch time. The barman was very welcoming, the fires were burning and the pub felt very homely. The food was absolutely delightful, I would thoroughly recommend this pub for a lovely lunch or evening meal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We recently booked in at the Star and Garter, East Dean, for a three night visit and it turned out to be a disaster. The Manager was the only person there to run the place with the help of a chef who came in in the evening. The Manager gave us the impression of being very young and rather inexperienced.
The first thing that happened was that our room was never entered on our first day out - no beds made, no bins emptied and bathroom wiped round. On asking "Why" we were told that he had mislaid the key the previous week and could not therefore enter our room. (We had not been advised of this on our arrival.) We had taken the only key out with us as the Manager shut up the whole place between 3pm and 6pm and we could not have got back in without keeping our bedroom key.
The second and much more serious occurrence was that during the second evening of our stay when the Inn was fully booked, the Manager and five of his paying guests decided to stay up all night in the bar drinking and talking and listening to rather loud music. The bar was directly below our bedroom and even though we went down twice during the evening - once at 12.45am and again at 3.45am to politely ask if they could possibly be quieter as we could not get any sleep it did not make any difference and we only got abuse from the guests and a mumbled apology from the Manager who was drunk. The noise was awful.
As these guest were, we understand, staying another night, we decided to book out in the morning. We had prearranged to have breakfast between 8.15 and 8.30 but when we went down to the bar area we found it in darkness and all locked up. We waited until a quarter to nine but no Manager appeared (he cooked the breakfast himself on the previous morning) we decided to cut our loses and leave. This matter is now in the hands of our Agent who booked us in as we lost money through losing two breakfasts and another overnight stay and feel that some compensation should be forthcoming.
"A very disappointed couple"

Room Tip: Check out that the Manager has gained some experience from this episode. Our actual room was very n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Purdon_12
Midhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I haven't stayed in the rooms, just dropped in for lunch. I must say I was looking forward to what turned out to be a disappointing experience. I have ordered Brie and Apple Chutney Baguette. When the waiter (or manager/owner) brought the wrapped cutlery, I couldn't believe my eyes.. it was the dirtiest napkin you can ever find, I'm surprised that he didn't pick that up, well certainly i wasnt going to use it.When my baguette arrived, I was actually looking forward to it, only to find that bread wasn't crusty, instead it was really hard and chewy. Seems like it was the last baguette of that batch. Halfway through my meal I noticed that my glass had a big lipstick mark on it and that has certainly put me off my lunch. When I complained to the waiter, he was apologetic and offered to replace my lunch and my drink, but I lost my faith that it will be a good experience. I left without paying, which is only fair. I won't be returning, which is a huge loss for the pub as I live in the local area and certainly won't recommend it to my friends and my guests at the hotel where I work. Shame!

• Stayed August 2012
The Fox Goes Free
The Fox Goes Free
#1 of 4 in Charlton
The Dean Ale & Cider House

Been to The Star & Garter? Share your experiences!