“And I thought nothing could be worse than a motel with no hot water...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palace Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Palace Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in De Queen
Bayfield, Colorado
“And I thought nothing could be worse than a motel with no hot water...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

This "establishment" is by far the worst motel I have EVER had the displeasure of staying in...the kicker is we stayed here a few years back and it was the exact opposite of what we found ourselves in this time. It began with the new "Manager/Owner" beating on our door at the crack of dawn, screaming at my mother about us taking his last smoking room (we are both smokers, we paid for the room, it was NOT reserved by anyone else), that he had potential "guests" who wanted that room. This middle eastern "gentleman" was anything BUT a gentleman..
As for the water situation, this place has NO COLD WATER, at all...period. We could not take showers...no matter how we tried adjusting the faucets, only scalding hot water came out...in the shower, in the sink, and - get this - even in the toilet. When you sat to use the toilet, you could feel the steam rising from the bowl and toasting your buns.
This so-called motel is a first class joke. I would sleep under a bridge before stepping foot in there again.
One more item: they "offer" a discount on rooms to AARP members (my mom is one) yet they do not give it to you - even after asking 3 times (each time we were told yes, they give the AARP discount).
Stay here at your own risk, you've been warned.

Room Tip: Go SOMEWHERE ELSE if you want a good room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank RDHynes

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Houston, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

The manager was indeed rude. One cannot even make a phone call to the nearby city without having to go all the way to the office and lay down a $20 deposit.
There was a half dead fly in the bathtub.
But what got me was that both days i stayed there I asked for a wake up call. The first came 30 minutes late. The other one 1 1/2 hours late!!!! They had not even factored the time change. They are in the hotel business, how's that missed?
They had told the person that booked it that they had donuts for breakfast. I was told, "I told him we had coffee."
I asked for the owner's name and number, but they would not give it to me. The heavy accented "manager" just kept saying, "he's out of town."
Very unhappy!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 991Traveller
smwpoole
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Well, come on people, it's DeQueen Arkansas we're talking about here. There isn't exactly a Hilton down the street. You don't have many options. We stayed here at the Plaza while coming into town for a family member's funeral. It wasn't too bad. It was clean enough and the beds were decent. It provided what we needed and that was a place to sleep and change clothes. If you're looking for more than that....find somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Hot Springs, Arkansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

The purpose of my stay was business and paid by my company. I will never stay here again and am taking my company's business to the DeQueen Country Club where the price is the same and the management is much nicer. The owner Patel is the rudest person I have ever met. During my stay there we were under severe tornado and weather warnings. The TV nor radio did not work and when I called the front desk, I was advised they had no plan for tornado emergency and would not even provide me with a working tv or radio. And 10 people had been killed in the state the prior week from tornadoes! The location is so noisy you cannot sleep, the rooms and bedding are filthy. Do not stay at this hotel. It is not safe in many ways.

Room Tip: The DeQueen Country Club is the same price.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank jde_11
Danville, Arkansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

This was definately not my first choice-I had actually went to the "Western Plaza Inn" down the road from the Palace Motel. I wanted to check in around 9:00 am and the manager was very rude and told me that I would have to come back at 11 am b/c they do not check guests in until then...seriously?? what happens if I am on a road trip and arrive at 12 am?? They definately dont know how to run a business! Well back to the Palace...I then went to see if I could check in there and the manager was just a rude, not to mention nosey, as the first. I asked for a room and he told me that for 5 dollars more I could check in early...ok this is getting me somewhere..but then I asked to go and check a room out...he said ok-scratched his stomach/gut and chewed on something he had in his mouth and then walked over to the key machine. As he walked I noticed his feet-He had no shoes on! Not even a pair of socks! What a way to run a buisness! He gave me the key and I went to the room 124 and opened the door. Horrible! the beds felt like springs the whole room smelled foul! I had no other choice so we had to stay. My son is asthmatic so when I returned to the office to rent the room I asked the manager if we could get a room that was a bit "fresher" he then gave me a bad look and said "what? What you dont like bout room?" I told him that it was ok I just have an asthmatic son and need fresh bed clothes. He told me that it was clean, I stated that I was going to rent the room and I would appreciate some clean sheets. He tried to ARGUE with me a little while and then said that he would send the house keeper after 9:30 am. I then had my husband give his DL for the room order and he asked me why I dont just give mine...what??? So I then stated that I had just lost mine about 3 days ago. He then told me " You NEED to get another one. You SHOULD have already done that. Why havent you DONE this yet?" None of your business!...I did not say this I just simply told him that I work nights and go to school during the day so basically I didnt have time this week. What an awful experience!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Lorena_Chavez12
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

When I stayed at Palace Hotel in Dequeen it was wonderful. I was treated with great hospitality. The rooms were clean and I slept like a baby peaceful and quite. Ms. Doris you were so nice to me. Danny you have a beautiful family. If I ever have to come back to Arkansas I will be sure to stop by Palace Motel for a visit.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2009

Clean spacious rooms, Good locaton.
We were lucky to find this one.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends